Apple Watch to be highlight of Vogue China magazine spread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
It was revealed on Thursday that the unreleased Apple Watch will grace the cover of Vogue China's November issue as worn by supermodel Liu Wen, marking the first time Apple's wearable will be featured in a major fashion-focused magazine.

The Apple Watch spread was confirmed by Vogue China editor-in-chief Angelica Cheung, who spoke to Business of Fashion about the upcoming issue slated to hit newsstands on Monday.

According to Cheung, Apple approached Vogue China about highlighting Apple Watch in the magazine, corroborating earlier reports that the company is pushing hard to position the device as a fashion accessory.

"When Jonathan Ive and Tim Cook talked me through how they developed the concept of the Apple Watch from the beginning, I was impressed by their thoughts and passion for the project," Cheung said. "Then I saw the watches and thought they looked rather good; some are sporty and others are very classic and elegant. At the same time, they all have so many functions that would be useful in our daily life. I just thought that they combined technology, style and functionality and were very modern and, therefore, perfect accessories for the modern-day woman which is what the Vogue China woman is about."

Apple has already put together multiple meet-and-greets to show off Apple watch to fashion luminaries, the most recent being a September pop-up showcase at popular Parisian boutique Colette. Held during Paris Fashion Week, the gathering attracted fashion gurus like Vogue editor Anna Wintour and designer Karl Lagerfeld, while Apple designers Jony Ive and were Marc Newson on hand to field questions.

According to the publication, a dinner followed the Colette showing, with attendees given exclusive photos of the device as worn by models, shot by Davis Sims and styled by Karl Templer. Perhaps not by coincidence, the Apple-selected pair are also responsible for the Vogue China spread.

Apple chose China for its fashion editorial debut because of the country's culture responds well to products place at the intersection of fashion and technology.

"Chinese people are actually very digitally minded and we embrace new technology and digital products more easily than perhaps people elsewhere," Cheung said. "We are an ancient country but at the same time a very young country when it comes to fashion and new products. We love to embrace everything that is new, modern and positive. All these convince us that the intersection of fashion and technology is a natural progression, not something alien."

The November issue's release will coincide with Chinese preorders for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which are slated to go live on Friday, Sept. 17.

Apple has not yet set a release date for Apple Watch, instead offering a nebulous "early 2015" shipping estimate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    %u771F%u68D2%uFF01
  • Reply 3 of 75
    THIS is the difference between how Apple does tech fashion compared to Samsung, Motorola, and Microsoft. Of course, none of Apple's competitors could even interest fashion illuminariaries to even glance at their crap-on-a-watch-band.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why mention a supermodel and then not post pictures of her?

A dozen internets to you!! And another dozen because she wasn't wearing one of those stupid "I couldn't give a ****" expressions nearly all models affect.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    THIS is the difference between how Apple does tech fashion compared to Samsung, Motorola, and Microsoft. Of course, none of Apple's competitors could even interest fashion illuminariaries to even glance at their crap-on-a-watch-band.

I don't think any of them considered it. Now that Apple has shown them the way, again, I think they'll be throwing money at the fashion world to promote their products and I think most of them will take the money.
  • Reply 6 of 75

This must have cost apple a bunch of cash. I guess the only place where a piece of Chinese electronics can be a high fashion accessory... You have to start somewhere with this nonsenses 

• Reply 7 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I don't think any of them considered it. Now that Apple has shown them the way, again, I think they'll be throwing money at the fashion world to promote their products and I think most of them will take the money.
    No doubt the concern trolls will be here soon telling us how this is a mistake, how fashion is fickle, how the ?Watch can't compete with expensive Swiss watches etc. Because all the fashion executives Cook hired have no clue what they're doing and Apple is DOOMED.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    No doubt the concern trolls will be here soon telling us how this is a mistake, how fashion is fickle, how the ?Watch can't compete with expensive Swiss watches etc. Because all the fashion executives Cook hired have no clue what they're doing and Apple is DOOMED.

…and then never speak of it again once it's a success and all other OEMs are trying to market a similar fashion accessory.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Truth is, this a mistake.

Fashion is fickle. The ?Watch can't compete with expensive Swiss watches. All the fashion executives Cook hired have no clue what they're doing and Apple is DOOMED.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Truth is, this a mistake. […] Apple is DOOMED.

:no: :rolleyes:
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Truth is, this a mistake. […] Apple is DOOMED.

:no: :rolleyes:

Steady on with those emoji. People will think you're two-faced…
  • Reply 12 of 75

Appealing to the 1% of Chinese who are not slave/prison labor.

• Reply 13 of 75
    And more red meat for the concern trolls...here's what Jony Ive said tonight in an interview at the Vanity Fair Summit.

Bzi4b7tCIAApLPz.png

Apple's going to do unconventional things that will drive techies bonkers and I love it.
  • Reply 14 of 75

She looks nice and natural in this picture.

The watch flows very nicely with her and her outfit.  

I bet women will buy several bracelets to match their various outfits.

Va Va Voom . . .

Go Apple, Go Go Go.

• Reply 15 of 75
    Ooh and this conment from Ive will get the fanddroids knickers in a bunch no doubt. :D

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/9/6954467/jony-ive-companies-that-copy-apples-style-are-stealing

[QUOTE]"When you're doing something for the first time, for example with the phone, and you don't know it's going to work, and you spend seven or eight years working on something, and then it's copied — I have to be honest, the first thing I think isn't 'ooh, that was flattering.'" He concluded on a sarcastic note. "All those weekends I could have had at home with my lovely family but didn't, but the flattery made up for it."[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 16 of 75
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why mention a supermodel and then not post pictures of her?

I like this thread already.

As I mentioned before, Apple Watch home screen design is pure genius. The usual suspects here who keep on criticize it just have a questionable taste.

• Reply 17 of 75
    matrix07 wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, Apple Watch home screen design is pure genius. The usual suspects here who keep on criticize it just have a questionable taste.

I criticized it. I think it works with the Vogue cover [@]AppleSauce007[/@] posted but I don't think those circles look very attractive at all.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The watch flows very nicely with her and her outfit.  

I bet women will buy several bracelets to match their various outfits.

Go Apple, Go Go Go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I criticized it. I think it works with the Vogue cover @AppleSauce007 posted but I don't think those circles look very attractive at all.

It's very attractive to me. The first time I saw it I almost sat up from my bed (I saw the keynote at night). This is pure genius. The kind of design you know will never comes out from Android camp. Of course how intuitive it is, is beyond my guess at the moment. But it's extremely stylish.

• Reply 19 of 75
    matrix07 wrote: »
    It's very attractive to me. The first time I saw it I almost sat up from my bed (I saw the keynote at night). This is pure genius. The kind of design you know will never comes out from Android camp. Of course how intuitive it is, is beyond my guess at the moment. But it's extremely stylish.

I'm certainly not going to second guess or pooh-pooh years of effort from a company that has an excellent track record in fashionable electronics, but I personally do not like the look of the Home Screen.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    I'm certainly not going to second guess or pooh-pooh years of effort from a company that has an excellent track record in fashionable electronics, but I personally do not like the look of the Home Screen.

How many people will be staring at the home screen anyway? Isn't that what watch faces are for?