Apple to live stream Oct. 16 iPad event on Web and Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I didn't watch the iPhone event live, I waited until I had time later in the day. But being a Mac fan, this one I think I'll make time.

• Reply 22 of 78
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Looking forward to this more than last month's:

Yosemite

Apple TV

iMac

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.

Why not, it's been way too long.

Why would they say something like that? It's been way too long. Admitting fault?

I recall a time when the company used to revamp it's announcement styles (images/graphs, etc). But it seems like nothing has changed for years. Starting to look a little stale.

• Reply 23 of 78
    pfisher wrote: »

Why would they say something like that? It's been way too long. Admitting fault?

I recall a time when the company used to revamp it's announcement styles (images/graphs, etc). But it seems like nothing has changed for years. Starting to look a little stale.

Changes have been subtle. This last event was rather different. The product intro videos had absolutely no visuals of Apple people, just their voiceovers. Pretty sure Dr. Dre is advising on the music as well. The humor is back, now that everyone's stopped tiptoeing around the fact that Steve isn't around anymore.

Changes do take time. Tim's also building Apple itself, emphasized by not using "i" for the new products.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

Why AI insists in calling this 'the iPad event'? I think the iPads will receive a moderate hardware update, more processor, maybe more RAM, Touch ID and some case redesign. Nothing really explosive.

I think this event will bring better things than the simple iPad refresh. Please stop calling it iPad event if you don't have an official Apple confirmation or at least show your proves.

I don't know why it does irritate me. Maybe because I feel it as a big disinformation.

• Reply 25 of 78
    What is coiminh with apple TV. any information available?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    entropys wrote: »
    So this legendary Chinese voice over.....does anyone know what was being said? Was it someone hijacking the show, or was it something boring like a translator?

Judging by the intonation and timing with the visual, it was simply a commentary ... but what do I know, I have the linguistic ability of a door knob! :D
  • Reply 27 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Listening to your negative BS is more painful...Tim actually does a pretty good job. He's come a long ways in a very short time. 

He's on stage less.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Cue 65 comments about how it better work this time, last one was terrible, Tim Cook should be fired, etc.

It’s a microcosm of the world we live in today. Little, insignificant minds trying to be heard, screaming “Look at me!” And being negative about everything does seem to get attention. 

• Reply 29 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    A complete non issue. Why are people expecting this stream to go perfectly, in high res, delivered right to your desktop, when 'half the world population' is watching?

... Because it's Apple.

I confess I figured if they were going to do it live and knowing, or at least having a good idea, of the interest, they'd only do it if they had their act together and make bloody sure all would go well ... or at least a lot better than it did. That was why for a while I was thinking this was a S. Korean VO and Apple were the victims of an organized assault by Google and Scamsung. :D

As to "It's been way too long ..."

I have to think this means, finally, the Knowledge Navigator is here ...

That or the colored Apple Logo is back?? ;)
  • Reply 30 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    pfisher wrote: »

The Return of Ellen Feiss?
  • Reply 31 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Changes have been subtle. This last event was rather different. The product intro videos had absolutely no visuals of Apple people, just their voiceovers. Pretty sure Dr. Dre is advising on the music as well. The humor is back, now that everyone's stopped tiptoeing around the fact that Steve isn't around anymore.

Changes do take time. Tim's also building Apple itself, emphasized by not using "i" for the new products.

Yep as you say changes have been subtle but they are there. And for the better IMO. Having Jony do voiceovers but not actually showing his face is a good change. He's got the perfect voice for these kind of things but not showing his face on screen takes away the whole mocking of him being cooped up in a white room all these years. The only thing I would do away with is the videos that seem a bit defensive where Apple's justifying it's culture and the way it works. I don't think thats necessary. They don't have to justify anything to anyone.

I'm hopping at one of these events we'll see Angela Ahrendts on stage. Maybe at the ?Watch event next year they'll have her discuss the retail strategy for it. No doubt Apple stores will have to be revamped to accommodate it.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    As was posted somewhere else in a thread nearby, I hace a hard time to imagine that the tag line refers to an overdue update in terms of time and their own products.
    That would be clearly putting a negative image onto themselves.
    IMO it is referring to an overdue item in time but not an apple product (eg. The way we watch tv or pay in stores, or control our devices at home), something people feel they "always had to put up with" and now, finally we will see the light :)
  • Reply 33 of 78
    I believe this is the first time they've ever live streamed a keynote from their campus
  • Reply 34 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The Return of Ellen Feiss?

"It was a good paper."

• Reply 35 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You have to admit it was pretty embarrassing, especially considering it took at least 20 minutes for it to be fixed. But I suspect this event won't be hyped quite as much so the number of people attempting to watch will be a lot smaller.

Right.  In the overall scheme of things it's not a big deal.  In the same way that in the overall scheme of things it's no big deal if the bride falls on her face while walking down the aisle.  If you're inviting millions of people to tune into an event, you don't want anything distracting from that event.  And it's considered ironic and newsworthy when technical problems affect a technology company.

Anyone willing to take my bet that the streaming will be rock solid this time?  (Frankly, to me the oddest part was seeing long minutes of basically a test pattern right when it was starting.)

• Reply 36 of 78
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

I really like the colored Apple logo, but if they bring it back I think it would be a big mistake. It was cool back then when computers didn't have colors, just amber and green monitors. The main purpose was to let people know that Apple was making computers with colors. Also, those color bands where trending at that time. Right know things are way more minimalistic. Those colored Apple logos would look really bad in the back of the iPads, iPhones, iMacs, etc. It would make them look like toys. I really don't think it is a good idea at all to bring back that logo.

• Reply 37 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

I really like the colored Apple logo, but if they bring it back I think it would be a big mistake. It was cool back then when computers didn't have colors, just amber and green monitors. The main purpose was to let people know that Apple was making computers with colors. Also, those color bands where trending at that time. Right know things are way more minimalistic. Those colored Apple logos would look really bad in the back of the iPads, iPhones, iMacs, etc. It would make them look like toys. I really don't think it is a good idea at all to bring back that logo.

I think they could bring back a modern version of it. Doesn't need to be the old looking one like the 80-90's. I really like the logo they use in their invitations. 

• Reply 38 of 78
    It better work this time; the last one was terrible.

Tim Cook should be fired; Apple is doomed.

Mercifully, I can't watch it live, so I will avoid the stress of worrying about it, and will watch it later. Of course, it'll probably be flawless this time.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Looking forward to this more than last month's:
    Yosemite
    Apple TV
    iMac

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.

Ditto.

I'm very excited about the products, but miss Steve Jobs, particularly as the iPad was his last big baby, notwithstanding the new campus.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    malax wrote: »
    Right.  In the overall scheme of things it's not a big deal.  In the same way that in the overall scheme of things it's no big deal if the bride falls on her face while walking down the aisle.  If you're inviting millions of people to tune into an event, you don't want anything distracting from that event.  And it's considered ironic and newsworthy when technical problems affect a technology company.

Anyone willing to take my bet that the streaming will be rock solid this time?  (Frankly, to me the oddest part was seeing long minutes of basically a test pattern right when it was starting.)

Reportedly Tim held a meetig with the responsible people and said ""Can anyone tell me what steaming is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continued, "So why the f*** doesn't it do that?"