iPhone 6 launch led to record accessory sales of $249 million in two weeks

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
The debut of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus wasn't just a boon for Apple's bottom line, as accessory makers also benefitted greatly from the debut of the new, larger iPhone models, according to the latest data from the NPD Group.

Accessory sales for the two weeks following the launch of the iPhone 6 lineup reached a record $249 million, the latest data from the NPD Group Weekly Tracking Service shows. That was a major increase of 43 percent from the two weeks prior.

In contrast, a year ago, when the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c went on sale, accessory sales were $195 million. The 2013 iPhone launch only caused a 17 percent spike over the previous two weeks.

"New iPhone form factors always provide a short-term boost to traffic and volume to the consumer electronics market, but it's the accessory purchases that keep the momentum going," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at The NPD Group. "Case sales specifically, and accessory sales in general, remain an excellent proxy in measuring the long-term demand for a phone."

Though the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus weren't announced until Sept. 9 and launched less than two weeks after, the size, shape and dimensions of the new handsets had been known for months due to leaks from Apple's supply chain. Third-party case makers gambled by manufacturing accessories based on these leaks, and in this case they won, leading to a number of case options available on the market at the time the iPhone 6 launched, despite the fact that it had a completely new form factor.

Case revenue was up 78 percent following the iPhone 6 launch, NPD said, while unit sales grew 63 percent over the two weeks prior. Screen protectors also saw revenue grow 120 percent versus the pre-launch period.

Other accessories didn't quite see the same increases, as mobile power products increased 5 percent, headphones with microphones were up 10 percent, and Bluetooth speakers grew 5 percent.

"The new iPhone releases, and the subsequent mobile accessory purchases that result from them, are one of the key opportunities helping to set the stage for a strong fourth quarter and holiday season," Baker said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I think they did take a chance, because the box for my case says "For: The New iPhone 2014 (4.7").

And this is Incipio we're talking about here, not Fa Lu's Magic Cases.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The first iPhone that definitely needs a case. Not ergonomic in the sense that due to lack of square corners and it's thinness causes it to be "slippery". Most if not all reviewers point to this. I immediately noticed it when I first fondled them.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The first iPhone that definitely needs a case. Not ergonomic in the sense that due to lack of square corners and it's thinness causes it to be "slippery". Most if not all reviewers point to this. I immediately noticed it when I first fondled them.

I got the iPhone 6 Plus, fully expecting to trade it for a 6. After just a few days, I find I can do about 95% of what I could do with my 5, one-handed.

The thing that made the difference was the silicone case. Started with the leather case, but even it was 'too slippery.' The silicone case made the Plus work for me.

• Reply 4 of 22
    So a change of form factor has increased the demand for accessories. That's... Surprising
  • Reply 5 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pazuzu wrote: »

I love the 5 series precisely for its chunky square feel in my hand, never used a case on them and always felt they were firmly and safely in-hand. I have every other model before that and none of them felt nearly as 'solid'. The 5 series have that same tangible weight, quality, design feel a good German car has, if you know what i mean. However I will have to feel a 6 to see before judging.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I love the 5 series precisely for its chunky square feel in my hand, never used a case on them and always felt they were firmly and safely in-hand. I have every other model before that and none of them felt nearly as 'solid'. The 5 series have that same tangible weight, quality, design feel a good German car has, if you know what i mean. However I will have to feel a 6 to see before judging.

Yes I had read the reviews first then saw and tested them out. They are very Galaxy-esque - not Apple like at all . I like the size of the 6 but not the feel of the phone itself. My favorite was the 4/4S feel but not particularly the weight.
  • Reply 7 of 22

Apple could have sold even more accessories if they had them available. I want several of the charging/synch docks for the 6, but Apple does not have them available yet. I hope they get them out quicker than they did with the 5, which took nearly a year after the 5's were released.

• Reply 8 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Yes I had read the reviews first then saw and tested them out. They are very Galaxy-esque - not Apple like at all . I like the size of the 6 but not the feel of the phone itself. My favorite was the 4/4S feel but not particularly the weight.

I actually had to revert to the 4s for a week my 5 was in for repair and yes it is very nice to hold.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Yes, you need a case on the 6 and 6 plus. On that will protect the curved edges of the glass from impacts. I dropped my 6 plus only 6-10 inches onto concrete when I was sitting on the steps of my porch and lifted ups leg to put a shoe on. 3 corners got small cracks in them and one corner a very small scratch and "mark" in the glass. Would not have happened to a 5 series with the same fall. A co worker had his 6 drop out of his gym shorts about 18 inches onto tile when he was sitting. Large 1.5" crack across the top from the edge to the ear piece. This happened the first day he got it. Because the glass is above the level of the phone frame, it is more susceptible to damage when falling compared to earlier phones that had flush glass.

I like the feel of the 6. The 6 plus is a little heavy and more unwieldy for me, though I can do most things on it one handed when I am stationery. I am still not sure which of the two will house the SIM more. Right now they are trading off.

I would have helped the accessory sales figure a little if the Apple silicone cases had been in better supply. Been to one of the local Apple Stores twice [including launch day, even though UPS and Fedex delivered our phones] and they only had black in stock. Wife no want black.
  • Reply 10 of 22

You would have sold more accessories if YOU HAD MADE A DOCK FOR IT.

• Reply 11 of 22
    chadbag wrote: »
    Yes, you need a case on the 6 and 6 plus. On that will protect the curved edges of the glass from impacts. I dropped my 6 plus only 6-10 inches onto concrete when I was sitting on the steps of my porch and lifted ups leg to put a shoe on. 3 corners got small cracks in them and one corner a very small scratch and "mark" in the glass. Would not have happened to a 5 series with the same fall. A co worker had his 6 drop out of his gym shorts about 18 inches onto tile when he was sitting. Large 1.5" crack across the top from the edge to the ear piece. This happened the first day he got it. Because the glass is above the level of the phone frame, it is more susceptible to damage when falling compared to earlier phones that had flush glass.

I like the feel of the 6. The 6 plus is a little heavy and more unwieldy for me, though I can do most things on it one handed when I am stationery. I am still not sure which of the two will house the SIM more. Right now they are trading off.

I would have helped the accessory sales figure a little if the Apple silicone cases had been in better supply. Been to one of the local Apple Stores twice [including launch day, even though UPS and Fedex delivered our phones] and they only had black in stock. Wife no want black.

Yikes. That's terrible. I feel for you. But posts like yours will help others like myself when the 6S is released because we'll know to get a case Immediately unless Apple decides to go hard edged again.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Yikes. That's terrible. I feel for you. But posts like yours will help others like myself when the 6S is released because we'll know to get a case Immediately unless Apple decides to go hard edged again.

Yeah, it sucks, but luckily it is just the very corners (I posted a pic in the comments for another article here on AI) so does not impact the use at all, and you only notice them if you look since it is just the very corners.

But my co-workers is much more annoying as it is much bigger (but again, luckily, not on the actual screen part but above it).  So yes, get a case.

My biggest annoyance is that I want to put AppleCare on but was waiting for the next billing cycle on my credit card to happen.  I assume I will get grief for the existing damage when I try. I am happy to have them exempt that damage from the AppleCare but we'll see how it works out.  I am more concerned about major future damage.

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Agreed.

Even just turning the 6 in one hand is precarious. I probably will be passing, but if I did get it, I would certainly have the Apple leather or silicon case. Try picking the 6 up from a table lying flat on its front; it's pretty tricky compared to the 5/5s.

• Reply 14 of 22
    chadbag wrote: »
    Yeah, it sucks, but luckily it is just the very corners (I posted a pic in the comments for another article here on AI) so does not impact the use at all, and you only notice them if you look since it is just the very corners.

But my co-workers is much more annoying as it is much bigger (but again, luckily, not on the actual screen part but above it).  So yes, get a case.

My biggest annoyance is that I want to put AppleCare on but was waiting for the next billing cycle on my credit card to happen.  I assume I will get grief for the existing damage when I try. I am happy to have them exempt that damage from the AppleCare but we'll see how it works out.  I am more concerned about major future damage.

Good luck - you might get a replacement.
  • Reply 15 of 22

My first few days with the iPhone 6 Plus.

I, like millions of others, wondered if Apple "sold out" by creating the choice of a larger screen phone, like the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus. Would it be "too big," would I look like a geek talking on it, would it fit in my pockets or even in my wallet portfolio where I always kept the 5. 

Bottom line. For me at least, size matters. Not only is the retina display screen (resolution 1920 x 1080 px, the same as HD television) incredibly bright and supremely sharp, it's also easier to navigate and just plain enjoy. I watched part of a movie last night on it and it was the same as watching my living room TV screen from a distance of 12 feet. Extremely enjoyable. The typing is easier. The scrolling faster. I'm not squinting to read my email as much. And even the games are more fun to play. 

I was always torn between my laptop and my iPhone about adding the iPad, but that seemed redundant to the first two. Now, the 6 is both my phone and my iPad.

I like the added security of the fingerprint ID, looking forward to Apple Pay, and also the super high quality camera, with time-lapse, slo-mo and HD video as well as great pictures through its mechanically run sapphire lens...real optics. 

The rest of the phone is just wonderful in its craftsmanship and feel. It's thinner than my 5 was, and doesn't feel heavier. And, if fits perfectly in my wallet portfolio, thank you.

I do have one criticism, and that is the button that used to be at the top to turn the screen off is now on the side. Yes, I have to get used to it, but I noticed when holding the phone in landscape mode (on its side) your fingers may tend to hit that button by mistake. Speaking of which, I like how many of the Apple OS 8 apps are designed to thrive in landscape mode, especially the browser (Safari) and Maps, which I use as a GPS in my car.

I did have a problem getting my Bluetooth to work in the car, until they told me to simply re-Pair the phone and the car. Now works like a charm.

I've also noticed I go all day without the battery threatening me. About 6pm my 5 used to beg for a plug-in. I assume the additional size also means a bigger battery. Duh.

Oh, and by the way, is it bendable? Hardly. It's very strong. Of course, I COULD bend it if I tried hard enough. But that also goes for my wristwatch, belt buckles and keys. Why WOULD I?

• Reply 16 of 22
    hs-lhs-l Posts: 1member
    I'm using an joli originals sleeve and a dock dock with my iPhone 6, both rock! http://jolioriginals.com http://www.dockplus.com :-)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Johny should design a device that DOESN'T require a case.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member

Thank you! I, too, have the Apple leather case for my iPhone 6 Plus and, while it aesthetically pleasing, it's slippery. I didn't know the silicone case was available until I saw your post, and just ordered it. Thanks again!

• Reply 19 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Funny they actually did drop tests with it, and seemingly it is better than other phones. There are some points on a phone were they will break, if you're lucky you never have it drop that way. BTW, I have a 3GS and never dropped it in 5 years, while some others are seemingly butterfingers, I don'T get it myself.

• Reply 20 of 22

I've dropped my 4 so many times I no longer wince, I cuss...and pick up my phone, and go on.

The glass is unmarred after FOUR YEARS of uncountable drops - mostly in parking lots.

I can hardly see how the 6/6+ could possibly be MORE breakable / LESS durable than the 4:

it's lighter, and made of higher-tech materials, and mostly NOT glass!

I'm planning to wrap mine in Skinomi;  I was thinking of also giving it a bumper, but REALLY -

It really should be too much of a challenge for ANYBODY to take acceptable care of a phone.