Rumor: Apple to remove Bose headphones & speakers from its stores amid patent suit, NFL spat

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

As I predicted this $3B deal Apple will come to regret.

why? are you suggesting apple profits more from the resale of Bose SKUs in their stores than the profit Beats earns? i can't believe that.

• Reply 82 of 108
    deleted

• Reply 83 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by supersheep View Post

If Apple stops selling BOSE, they better start making those Beats products better. 

why? what stops consumers from buying Bose products any time they wish? are you forced to only buy products from apple's stores? how strange.

• Reply 84 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

They overpaid for crappy electronics that their own employees can't recommend with a straight face. And the music service was over hyped. Crony capitalism.

Let me know when Apple recoups it's $3B investment. Prove me wrong.

Beats is profitable and does $1B annual. that a good position to be in. Buying profitable companies doesn't hurt your bottom line, by definition.

Are you suggesting all apple products must be recommended by all employees for all use case? how absurdly stupid.

• Reply 85 of 108
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tbell wrote: »
    Beats had close to 1.5 billion in revenue last year. It likely will not take long for Apple to recoup its money.
    lundkeman wrote: »
    I think it will be a double win.

1. If, according to Tim cook, beats music service produces a better overall listening environment this could attract more people to use the service.

2. The Beats headphone market serves a demographic that Bose is not touching, in my opinion. Meaning younger kids, teens, young adults. I see beats stuff in use everywhere in public by this group. I only see Bose on airplane trips. These same people are using both Apple and others products.

No one wants to hear ur crap.

/s
  • Reply 86 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I did, too.. a long time ago.

yeah, I'm about to block him as well. ill never understand what a troll gets out of coming into a place w/ the intent of being a contrarian jackass. seems like a lot of work...plenty of android or whatever forums to hang out on.

• Reply 87 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Why do they sell socks next to shoes?  

beer next to pizza?

Lube next to condoms;-)

Because the customer is already in prime buying mood;-)

if you walk in wanting to buy a phone and headphone pair (impulse shopping), try a couple headphones on while the apple genius syncs your phone, and walk out with a slightly deflated credit card and a pair of Beats cans with your 6+, 

that isn't the point. to claim that Beats needs to do something Bose does now that Apple is removing Bose, suggests very plainly that there is no other option for you the consumer. that doesn't make any sense. get on Amazon and buy what you want....Apple's just stocking what they want to stock. 

• Reply 88 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

True, but it's more overlap than not.

For the average user, I recommend only one as it can get confusing for that user to troubleshoot when a site breaks, which add-on is causing the problem.  

AdBlock and Ghostery do two very different things. they're complimentary. 

and it's really easy to temporarily disable them and narrow down any issues on a website. trivial -- click icon in menu, click "Pause".

• Reply 89 of 108
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Beats is profitable and does $1B annual. that a good position to be in. Buying profitable companies doesn't hurt your bottom line, by definition.

Are you suggesting all apple products must be recommended by all employees for all use case? how absurdly stupid.

nolamacguy wrote: »

why? are you suggesting apple profits more from the resale of Bose SKUs in their stores than the profit Beats earns? i can't believe that.

A lot of crappy products are from companies that are profitable. Are you suggesting Apple buy them too?
    What other Apple products are the employees embarrassed to sell by Apple?
  • Reply 90 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Well, it's allegedly Beats, not Apple that infringed. And I'm not saying they did. But Bose should have the right to have it considered in court without Apple resorting to this kind of tactic (which is still just a rumour).

Point taken....

• Reply 91 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sgginc View Post

Beats catalog of music is minuscule.

There web app pales in comparison to Spotify.

Apple has many year of work to make Beats relevant.

I guess they wanted two people plus some colored headphones.

Sad.

And over a billion dollars a year in profit...the deal will likely pay itself off from headphone, earbud and speaker profit alone in a few years. Tim had an interesting take on the acquisition in his interview with Charlie Rose. You prob can still check it out on CharlieRose.com or PBS.com 

• Reply 92 of 108

Are there $6B retail ($3B profit at 50%) worth of Beats headphones in the world (per year)?

The profit is much higher I've read.

That boggles my mind!!!

Sell for say $200 each.

6,000,000,000 / 200 = 30,000,000 headphones/year at retail (worldwide).

I suppose it's doable.

• Reply 93 of 108
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

That's not saying much.

Harman Kardon Onyx Studio FTW

6.8 pounds??!!!

Only 5 hours battery life??!!!

Not water/dirt resistant.

Almost no stereo separation.

WINNING!

• Reply 94 of 108
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Hmmmm.....

Thanks boeyc15 for pointing out that I stated the important point correctly.

I don't know why AppleInsider seems hell bent on painting the NFL incident as anti-Apple or anti-Beats. If the dude was wearing Sony headphones the situation and outcome would be exactly the same. Why try to manufacture controversy when it is totally not justified. Fanning the flames is one thing, setting the fire is another thing altogether and that's exactly what AppleInsider has done by trying to make this an NFL versus Beats battle, which it never was. It's an NFL internal matter, no more and no less.
  • Reply 95 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

AdBlock and Ghostery do two very different things. they're complimentary. 

and it's really easy to temporarily disable them and narrow down any issues on a website. trivial -- click icon in menu, click "Pause".

Two very different things?  Care to explain? 

Because I've used both, and while they each have a somewhat different approach to the same problem, the end result seems pretty much the same thing.  If you venn-diagrammed the two, the circles would practically be overlapping.  I gave up on Ghostery (combined with Adblock) when I noticed that Safari was substantially slower than when just was installed.  So I experimented with having just one installed, then the other.  I experienced less breakage with Adblock than I did with Ghostery.

Also, trivial for you.  But I define trivial as "something that won't prompt my inlaw's to call me".  :-)  With Adblock, I can confidently set and forget on relative's computers.

• Reply 96 of 108
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I don't know why AppleInsider seems hell bent on painting the NFL incident as anti-Apple or anti-Beats. If the dude was wearing Sony headphones the situation and outcome would be exactly the same. Why try to manufacture controversy when it is totally not justified. Fanning the flames is one thing, setting the fire is another thing altogether and that's exactly what AppleInsider has done by trying to make this an NFL versus Beats battle, which it never was. It's an NFL internal matter, no more and no less.

This was all about Bose trying to make their old-guy headphones seem appealing to a younger demographic.  To do that, Bose has to take on the king of that demographic, which is Beats.  The Bose marketing types had to know this would be the net effect when they signed the exclusive deal with the NFL.  But it's not like it's magically going to buy them street cred, no NFL player is going to want to rock a pair of Bose QC25s at a post game press conference.  Bose is always going to be the headphones of fat old bald guys flying first class.

• Reply 97 of 108
    rogifan wrote: »
    Because the only place you can buy BOSE products is an Apple store. :no:

Actually you can buy Bose products anywhere. I bought my Bose freestyle Earbuds & soundlink air at Best Buy. Both are great products & certainly superior to anything beats has to offer. Will be Apple's loss. If Apple was just looking to invest in quality audio they should have invested in Bose & not beats. All beats does is throw money at celebrities to wear their products to trick ppl into buying them. Truth is beats are crap.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    I keep reading that Beats Headphones are more a fashion statement, than the top quality products their prices would lead on to believe. I've never tried them, so I can't comment on that. Bose, on the other hand, used to be my go-to supplier of medium priced, good quality hardware. This is an area that I AM qualified to comment on. It's difficult for me to believe they are even the same company that meant top quality at far from unreasonable prices. My latest purchases of their products tells me that they are an entirely different company. I returned 2 of the 3 products I bought from them most recently (speakers and headphones), because to say they were a complete overpriced JOKE, would be going too lightly on them. I see them going the way of the dodo bird.
  • Reply 99 of 108
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    future man wrote: »
    ALL:
    future man wrote: »
    ALL:

That's unnecessary. I don't understand the need to declare that.
    But Bose should have the right to have it considered in court without Apple resorting to this kind of tactic (which is still just a rumour).

I don't think there's a right to be on a retailer's shelves against the retailer's wishes, nor do I see why this case should change that. If someone sued you, would you really keep offering their stuff for sale?
  • Reply 100 of 108
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Wouldn't be caught dead with Beats. Kaepernick just redefined what it means to overpay for a lousy product. Apple has a lot of engineering work to do to get the headphones up to par. I'll personally be sticking to Sennheiser HD's and Momentums for quality sound.