Apple introduces redesigned iTunes Store to iTunes 12 beta testers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2014
Ahead of an expected OS X Yosemite debut next week, Apple on Friday rolled out a revamped iTunes Store for beta testers using iTunes 12 on the next-gen operating system, revealing a reworked user interface more in line with the flat aesthetic the company is moving toward.

The new iTunes Store assets, which are slowly rolling out to iTunes 12 beta testers, feature a "flat" look inspired by Apple's upcoming OS X 10.10 Yosemite operating system, which is expected to launch at a special media event next week.

As seen in the included screenshots, the new user interface mirrors Apple's initial iTunes 12 beta, which itself draws inspiration from a spartan aesthetic first introduced in iOS 7.

The most apparent change is a departure from the previous iTunes Stores' three-dimensional landscape, which incorporated copious use of shadows to create a sense of depth. For example, the homepage carousel is no longer a jukebox-style collection of cards that appears to "swing" out of frame when browsing, but instead holds side-scrolling content panes.

The new digital storefront is also nearly devoid of volumetric graphics, with image panes and thumbnails separated by crisp, clean lines overlaid on top of solid colors. In most places, the old grey shading is replaced by white, offering a more open feel to the UI, much like Apple's most recent iOS 8 app updates.

Gradients are used in certain places, such as the specially designed John Legend artist page seen below, but for the most part Apple has opted for one-shade backgrounds. This results in a bold interface that makes multi-colored content "pop."

Currently, the flattened design carries over to Music, Movie, TV Show and App pages.

Many anticipate Apple to launch iTunes 12 alongside OS X 10.10 Yosemite at an Oct. 16 media event expected to include new iPad and iMac hardware. The company will stream the event and AppleInsider will also be covering the day's announcements live starting from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    "next wee" - aw, that's cute!
  • Reply 2 of 35
    And yet the program is still slow and bloated.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    The Store apps in iOS are much faster now(iTunes was pathetically slow), hopefully this extends to iTunes 12.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

What kind of masochist do you have to be if you're an iTunes beta tester?  Peace be with you (and your library), whoever you are.

• Reply 5 of 35
    creep wrote: »
    What kind of masochist do you have to be if you're an iTunes beta tester?  Peace be with you (and your library), whoever you are.

A Macsochist.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    I'd like to see Studio Ghibli bring their films to iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I never use iTunes for anything other than when I'm forced there on occasion to update/restore or sync.
    I really wish Apple would leave iTunes as a seperate thing and also have something like we used to have with iSync.
    0.02c
  • Reply 8 of 35
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Works fine for me and my many many year old library.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

It's great, really fast and looks awesome.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    The Store apps in iOS are much faster now(iTunes was pathetically slow), hopefully this extends to iTunes 12.

Just checked my iPhone 5S and iPad Mini w/Retina, and yup, I do notice a speed bump, very much welcomed! My MBP with Yosemite Beta is at the office, so will test on that machine on Tuesday when I get back to work.
    robm wrote: »
    I never use iTunes for anything other than when I'm forced there on occasion to update/restore or sync.
    I really wish Apple would leave iTunes as a seperate thing and also have something like we used to have with iSync.
    0.02c
    I never understand the hatred towards iTunes, especially the new iTunes 12. It's rock solid, is well designed, and is an excellent jukebox application, especially when weighed against its competitors in the Windows world (WMP, yuck!).
  • Reply 11 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Haters gonna hate, they don't need real reasons.

I think there's a fair argument to be made that iTunes used to do too much, may still do in some ways, but that criticism has died down as Apple has made it possible to do more and more of those "extra" services in the cloud.

I've been using iTunes 12 for a while in Yosemite and it is fast and versatile. There was, I confess a little bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth over rearranged ways to find some of the more obscure services, but once find it was all good. iTunes is fast, iTunes Radio is awesome once you tweak your stations a little bit, and generally the whole thing works really well. About all I'm looking for is for Apple to finally give us a first-class podcast app in iOS (and a new tool for creating them in OS X), and I'll be totally happy.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is the first new version of iTunes I have not welcomed. Even if I ignored the additional steps it would take to do the tasks I need it to, the fact that the betas so far have removed features that are part of my primary use of the app is troublesome. I'm sure I can use iTunes 11.4 for a quite a while as I'm still on iTunes 10.x on an old PPC Mac which still does what I need it to do as an iTunes Server.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is the first new version of iTunes I have not welcomed. Even if I ignored the additional steps it would take to do the tasks I need it to, the fact that the betas so far have removed features that are part of my primary use of the app is troublesome. I'm sure I can use iTunes 11.4 for a quite a while as I'm still on iTunes 10.x on an old PPC Mac which still does what I need it to do as an iTunes Server.

I'm not on the beta program, so I don't know anything about lost features - what have they removed that was so critical?

• Reply 14 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm not on the beta program, so I don't know anything about lost features - what have they removed that was so critical?

[@]Dreyfus2[/@] then answers my comment.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I must say this knee jerk negative reaction to redesigned software is quite annoying. Almost every post in the MacRumors thread on this subject is someone whining about the new design being too "flat" (even though Apple has never once described any of their software redesigns that way). People who have never even used the redesigned software say it sucks because well, "flat" design sucks. And then we get the BS about things being less intuitive (I guess because there aren't gradients and drop shadows everywhere). I say BS because my 72 year old mother who is a technology neophyte upgraded her iPad mini from iOS 6 to iOS 7 without any help from anyone and uses her iPad every day with no problems. She doesn't need gradients, drop shadows, gloss, faux leather/felt/glass to understand how to navigate her iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    They should also drop the name. It's time. Adopt the new Apple naming convention which I very much prefer accross everything.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    zaba wrote: »
    They should also drop the name. It's time. Adopt the new Apple naming convention which I very much prefer accross everything.

Introducing the all new Apple MusicMoviesAppsPodcasts-n-Stuff™
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Yeah, the hatred toward iTunes always confuses me. I suppose you could say it did take a while to launch in the 8x-10x eras, but 11 runs just fine. I always get the sense that the people who whine about iTunes are the ones who cannot or will not adapt to change, they learned how to do something in Limewire back in 2002 and think that all programs should operate that way.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Not a chance.

iTunes is one of today's most famous brands in all of consumer entertainment. The market recognition of the name itself is worth billions of dollars. You don't just throw something like that away.

• Reply 20 of 35

Maybe this is like an iMovie or Final Cut situation, where they're building a new look and design first, then planning to add features back in a future iteration? Or do you feel that's being too optimistic?