Apple to live stream Oct. 16 iPad event on Web and Apple TV

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78

I knew I should have trademarked that earlier.

• Reply 62 of 78
    You guys having fun? :)
  • Reply 63 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Would love to see you on stage in front of tens of thousands of people, knowing there are millions more watching live, and presenting for the most watched technology event, for the most scrutinized company on the planet, and filling the most impossible shoes you can fill. You'd be a fucking slobbering, stuttering, pathetic mess, doubtful you would last a minute. Most of us rational people who are not doing our best to tear him down realize that Tim is just fine at presentations. He's confident, engaging, and hardly makes mistakes. No, he doesn't have the charisma or draw of Jobs, but noone else does, so thats an idiotic standard to hold him by.  

I hope he tucks his shirt in finally this time. That look is very dated.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

If a new macbook air gets announced, i might just lose my sh!t & start selling things to have enough money spare to get one.

my 11" mba served me so well for the last 4 years, it still runs perfectly, not a scratch on it, one of my fav macs I've ever owned, I loved my 12" G4  Powerbook, my macbook air, then its gotta be my mac mini, that thing is a little beast, best of all, 15" rMBP, I've had others & whats weird is that I've never owned a mac that wasn't amazing & they haven't disappointed me yet. 

A TV made by apple, thats gonna get me in trouble, i already know I'm getting an apple watch, this keynote could get me into some serious money problems haha. 

• Reply 65 of 78
    macxpress wrote: »
    I would just love for it to be all Mac related. I guess I'm kind of an old Apple fan, but I love the days when there was 1.5-2hrs of new Mac stuff. I miss those days. I enjoy seeing new iPhones, Apple Watches too, but I really miss an all Mac event. 

In a way, I do too, but those were the days when Mac was all that there was generating revenue. Now Mac rules it's category, as do the iPhones and iPads... and in their own way, so do the iPods. The AppleWatch, which hasn't even yet been released rules its category to the total embarrassment of Sammy and their smarmy Turd-on a watch-band.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    My final interpretation of, 'It's been way too long':

"It's been way to long"... Since Apple had a chick on stage. I hear Angela Ahrendts is easy on the eyes... That's what this show's gonna be all about. :smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for a very interesting and in-depth technical view on how the delivery system works. Props to you for this.

So, basically, the streaming becoming better had nothing to do with (my) assumption that people just gave up after ?20 minutes?

Oh, I didn't have the Chinnese voice-over. [@]ThePixelDoc[/@]: did you experience that, in my neighbouring country?

Yes, I also experienced Chinese (or some Asian language?) over-dubbing. That's why I "assumed" that the main link through the Netherlands -> England (Cornwall) -> US was being rerouted and going through China/Asia somehow to get to the servers over the Pacific.

My connection*** never became stable for longer than a minute or 2 over more than an hour, although a couple of times the over-dubbing did disappear. I took to Twitter, assorted Live-Blogs, and searching unsuccessfully for a way I could view a "live traffic picture" of the Internet.

Bolded: if anyone knows a website or service where I can view live traffic.... please by all means send me a PM. I'll surely report findings here if anyone is interested.

*** Only as a reminder... my connection is fiber 100mb... and I posted my SpeedTest results at the time of the live stream at 87 - 94mb.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I would add, not as an excuse but a piece of realism to bear in mind, that the rising complexity of everything they're trying to integrate is going to result in more and more bugs.

They may arrive at a threshold from time to time, especially after they settle into the new HQ and recruit a new wave of people. But there will be rocky times ahead because they're doing the near impossible so routinely.

I don't know what to do with your last sentence, except to note that we've been haunted by that execution style for way too long.
    John Gruber's latest podcast featuring Guy English touched in this subject. Both agreed that Apple was perhaps trying to do more than is possible in one year (which is more like 6 months or less considering how much time is spent on bug fixes and point releases). But they both also agreed that if Apple was still siloed like it was under Steve we wouldn't be seeing half of this stuff. As I've said before I hope there either isn't an iOS 9 or If there is its focused on making iOS 8 better.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    if anyone knows a website or service where I can view live traffic....

Weird that it differed from country to country. The explanation TheOtherGeoff gave makes me dubious on the whole setup; how on earth could the stream be reasonably ok at my end? Makes no sense.

Anyhoo, as for live Internet traffic I can't find anything. Well, other than these two sites, but it's not what you were looking for:

http://internetpulse.net/Main.aspx?xAxis=Destination&yAxis=Origin&zAxis=Metric&nAxis=Period
    http://www.internetlivestats.com
  • Reply 70 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    flaneur wrote: »
    I would add, not as an excuse but a piece of realism to bear in mind, that the rising complexity of everything they're trying to integrate is going to result in more and more bugs.

They may arrive at a threshold from time to time, especially after they settle into the new HQ and recruit a new wave of people. But there will be rocky times ahead because they're doing the near impossible so routinely.

I don't know what to do with your last sentence, except to note that we've been haunted by that execution style for way too long.
    John Gruber's latest podcast featuring Guy English touched in this subject. Both agreed that Apple was perhaps trying to do more than is possible in one year (which is more like 6 months or less considering how much time is spent on bug fixes and point releases). But they both also agreed that if Apple was still siloed like it was under Steve we wouldn't be seeing half of this stuff. As I've said before I hope there either isn't an iOS 9 or If there is its focused on making iOS 8 better.

I think that iOS 8 (and its attendant problems/quality issues) is one of those watershed moments that occurs every decade or so. With iOS 8, Xcode 6, Yosemite -- Apple, essentially has turned the [Apple] developer environment on its head ...

Never before have Apple APIs been so open, iOS so extensible/flexible ...

And, new and expanded Apple Services and integration: iCloud, iTunes, HomeKit, HealthKit ...

In addition, we have the potential of Apple partnerships: IBM - enterprise/mobile ; CarPlay - auto manufacturers; Apple Pay - Banks and Merchants; Apple TV - Content providers, Gaming, Ad Hoc Presentation and Media exchange, HomeKit Hub ...

Add to that a new language: Swift; new hardware A8, S1 ...

Yes, we all would probably agree that Apple tried to do too much in too short a time!

But, what choice did Apple have -- when the stars align (technology, capability, opportunity) -- you just have to take your best shot(s) -- and pick up the pieces later!

If not now, When? If not Apple, Who?

You don't get to the Moon (or Mars) by incremental baby steps ... It takes bold, innovative, new giant steps!

BTW, MR has an article saying that an A8X exists (for a new iPad).

I suspect that the real killer use of the A8X will be in the AppleTV -- and all the possibilities that engenders!
  • Reply 71 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    Weird that it differed from country to country. The explanation TheOtherGeoff gave makes me dubious on the whole setup; how on earth could the stream be reasonably ok at my end? Makes no sense.

Anyhoo, as for live Internet traffic I can't find anything. Well, other than these two sites, but it's not what you were looking for:

http://internetpulse.net/Main.aspx?xAxis=Destination&yAxis=Origin&zAxis=Metric&nAxis=Period
    http://www.internetlivestats.com

Thanks for the effort though. Yes... I ran across both of those when searching... which will come in handy for other things I'm sure... just not this.

Just keep your eyes open, and again thanks!
  • Reply 72 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I think that iOS 8 (and its attendant problems/quality issues) is one of those watershed moments that occurs every decade or so. With iOS 8, Xcode 6, Yosemite -- Apple, essentially has turned the [Apple] developer environment on its head ...

Never before have Apple APIs been so open, iOS so extensible/flexible ...

And, new and expanded Apple Services and integration: iCloud, iTunes, HomeKit, HealthKit ...

In addition, we have the potential of Apple partnerships: IBM - enterprise/mobile ; CarPlay - auto manufacturers; Apple Pay - Banks and Merchants; Apple TV - Content providers, Gaming, Ad Hoc Presentation and Media exchange, HomeKit Hub ...

Add to that a new language: Swift; new hardware A8, S1 ...

Yes, we all would probably agree that Apple tried to do too much in too short a time!

But, what choice did Apple have -- when the stars align (technology, capability, opportunity) -- you just have to take your best shot(s) -- and pick up the pieces later!

If not now, When? If not Apple, Who?

You don't get to the Moon (or Mars) by incremental baby steps ... It takes bold, innovative, new giant steps!

BTW, MR has an article saying that an A8X exists (for a new iPad).

I suspect that the real killer use of the A8X will be in the AppleTV -- and all the possibilities that engenders!

When you look at it this way, it's a wonder that any of it works at all. I'm going to give that Gruber-English show a listen. His podcasts always help me sleep.

Just kidding, I usually try to hear them through.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Do people think the Mac Pro might be refreshed at this event (not a total redesign, it's still very new, just a refresh)?

Are the next gen of Xeon and FirePro available?

• Reply 74 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ascii wrote: »
    Do people think the Mac Pro might be refreshed at this event (not a total redesign, it's still very new, just a refresh)?
    Are the next gen of Xeon and FirePro available?

Yes, 14-core replaces 12-core:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/81059/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v3-35M-Cache-2_60-GHz
    This uses DDR4 memory and there are 128GB dimms:
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/ram/68385-adata-sk-hynix-unveil-ddr4-memory-modules/
    so 4x128 = 512GB RAM, I expect Apple to offer 64GB or 128GB and 3rd parties can cover higher amounts.
    There's a 9100 FirePro with 16GB of video memory:
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/9100

Samsung's V-NAND will supposedly lower bulk SSD prices but internally for maximum performance, Apple will likely stick to more premium parts so I'd expect no change regarding internal capacity:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824514/cutting-edge-v-nand-ssds-could-get-cheaper-with-samsungs-new-tlc-tech.html
  • Reply 75 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yes, 14-core replaces 12-core:

http://ark.intel.com/products/81059/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v3-35M-Cache-2_60-GHz

This uses DDR4 memory and there are 128GB dimms:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/ram/68385-adata-sk-hynix-unveil-ddr4-memory-modules/

so 4x128 = 512GB RAM, I expect Apple to offer 64GB or 128GB and 3rd parties can cover higher amounts.

There's a 9100 FirePro with 16GB of video memory:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/9100

Samsung's V-NAND will supposedly lower bulk SSD prices but internally for maximum performance, Apple will likely stick to more premium parts so I'd expect no change regarding internal capacity:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824514/cutting-edge-v-nand-ssds-could-get-cheaper-with-samsungs-new-tlc-tech.html

Ah, so it is technically possible at least. Thanks Marvin.

• Reply 76 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

5K Thunderbolt display

It's been way too long. Just hope there's a 30" display and not only 27".

None of the above.

How do you power a 5k display with Thunderbolt 2?

• Reply 77 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    pmz wrote: »
    How do you power a 5k display with Thunderbolt 2?

It should have just enough bandwidth to cover uncompressed 5K at 60Hz but no more. If they use compression (it can be lossless), it would fit comfortably within the limits.
  • Reply 78 of 78

I think they could bring back a modern version of it.