Bose and Apple's Beats announce settlement of patent infringement lawsuit

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 101
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    It was a typo. He makes the same consistent mistakes in every single one of his posts. There's a difference, and you know that. Stop being intellectually dishonest. 
    slurpy wrote: »
    No, he's suggested that you're a fucking idiot that doesn't know the definition of a good business. Your opinion that Beats makes "crappy product" is purely subjective. The data, showing that they own the mid to high end market in sales and profit- isn't. Clearly, millions upon millions of people love the product. I think Apple cares about that more than the shitty opinion of an intellectually stunted internet troll like you, who has proven time and time again that he doesn't understand the fundamentals of any topic he chooses to dwelve into. Noone gives a shit about what you think about Beats. Will you ever understand that?
    Do you have Tourette syndrome?
  • Reply 62 of 101
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

    people use that word around you often because that's what you are -- a dirty, ugly troll, who lives under a bridge and breathes fart-breath whenever he speaks.

    Great answer that shows your intelligence.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post





    Great answer that shows your intelligence.

     

    So Pazuzu, if this entire board agrees you're a filthy troll, that means the entire board is fucking stupid? When there's a consensus about something, especially in regards to yourself, maybe you should step back and do some self reflection, instead of just making another mind-numbingly asinine retort. Why the **** would so many people on this board see you as a filthy, disgusting troll, do you think? Wait, don't answer that. 

  • Reply 64 of 101
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Not a good idea to remove Bose from apple stores!

    In the grand scheme of Apple's business, Bose means absolutely nothing. Replace it with something else and life goes on.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post





    Great answer that shows your intelligence.



    laugh... sorry, senior enterprise software dev is my day job. i get to call 'em as i see 'em when I'm wasting my own time on an apple enthusiast site. most of the participants here make for good discussion on topics that interest me. there are only two users that make me question their humanity vs trolldom. you're one of them.

  • Reply 66 of 101
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post





    Lol love your verb tense and constant use of the work"troll" reflecting a very limited vocabulary. Isn't that called pigeon English?



    Pidgin English even.

  • Reply 67 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

    As Elon Musk (a previous fan of patents, who recently open sourced all of Tesla's patents) realised, "Patents are just a lottery ticket to a lawsuit." The competition will just *copy you anyway*, then a lawsuit happens which takes so long to work it's way through the system that by the time remedy comes, it's just a one-off payment that makes no difference to the market situation. Tim Cook also complained about this reaction time problem in his Senate testimony.

     

    The speed differential between tech advances and the legal system means that in this modern world, patents don't protect inventors so much as enrichen lawyers. And the tech companies could be spending that lawyer money on better things, like more engineers (so that by the time the competition has reverse engineered your last thing, you have already released your next thing).

  • Reply 68 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Are you suggesting Apple overpay for more companies that make crappy products as long as they turn a hefty profit?

    My PowerBeats aren't too bad, better than the Bose headphones I've got, probably the dual speakers.

    They are a heck of a lot easier to carry around than my Sennheiser Momentums.

    1000

    Have you even owned and regularly used a pair of beats?
  • Reply 69 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

    people use that word around you often because that's what you are -- a dirty, ugly troll, who lives under a bridge and breathes fart-breath whenever he speaks.

    I always though "troll" referred to the fishing term, you know trolling a piece of bait behind a boat to see what you can hook.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    Do you sell competitor's products in your store?


    If it's an opinion, state it as an opinion. Apple has sold software in the past that overlapped with their own offerings, so it may not be a foregone conclusion.

  • Reply 71 of 101
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of Apple's business, Bose means absolutely nothing. Replace it with something else and life goes on.
    It is a good product to have at apple stores...i would not like to just see beats there.. Too limiting !
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post





    Then when does Apple start selling Samsung phones? If Apple only sold Beats which it probably will eventually your son would buy Beats regardless.

     

    Phones are part of the core business, so they obviously wouldn't do that. Beats are accessories, not core.

  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post





    Other way around, at least until we hear results of settlement. Apple pulls Bose hardware from best sales locations in world then Bose settles out of court. I think Apple won this round.

    Tend to think this is the case. Bose started picking up steam because of Apple products. I never saw any traffic much in those retail Bose mall stores. Now they maybe headed back to empty stores and niche markets again.

  • Reply 74 of 101
    plovellplovell Posts: 825member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by richlo View Post

     

    Tend to think this is the case. Bose started picking up steam because of Apple products. I never saw any traffic much in those retail Bose mall stores. Now they maybe headed back to empty stores and niche markets again.




    Actuallly, my problem with the Bose mall stores is that they were selling both headphones and speakers. The speakers were run so loud that noise-cancellation was a joke. That was years ago - maybe they've separated them now.

  • Reply 75 of 101
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    hill60 wrote: »

    I always though "troll" referred to the fishing term, you know trolling a piece of bait behind a boat to see what you can hook.

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    In Internet slang, a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
    jungmark wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Sounds good.

    From what I hear on the other thread, they sound horrible. Haha.

    Lol. But we're people making sound judgement there? And please don't answer that with a 'beats me'.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    you are ignorant.

     

    Beats were making noise canceling headphones since at least 2012

    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones-page-3


    2012, try the late 80's. Bose first used noise canceling tech in head sets for pilots, first use in consumer products started in 2006 with the Bose QuietComfort 3.

  • Reply 77 of 101
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post





    That suck worse than their headphones.

    No they don't, though a little on the expensive side the Bose SoundLink mini sounds fantastic, one of the best portable speakers on the market for it's size. On a side note Apple isn't going to remove Bose products from their store because of a lawsuit or that they now have Beats, how petty do you think they are. Apple will continue selling Bose, JBL, Bowers & Wilkins, Philips, etc. products for the foreseeable future. This thread is ridiculous, every single time Apple gets into a legal battle with another company, the company in question is automatically ostracized and their products turn into crap, enough already.

  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

     

    As Elon Musk (a previous fan of patents, who recently open sourced all of Tesla's patents) realised, "Patents are just a lottery ticket to a lawsuit." The competition will just *copy you anyway*, then a lawsuit happens which takes so long to work it's way through the system that by the time remedy comes, it's just a one-off payment that makes no difference to the market situation. Tim Cook also complained about this reaction time problem in his Senate testimony.

     

    The speed differential between tech advances and the legal system means that in this modern world, patents don't protect inventors so much as enrichen lawyers. And the tech companies could be spending that lawyer money on better things, like more engineers (so that by the time the competition has reverse engineered your last thing, you have already released your next thing).


     

    Interesting perspective. Makes a lot of sense. Sort of the opposite of carrying around copycat butthurt for the better part of a decade.

  • Reply 79 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    relic wrote: »
    This thread is ridiculous, every single time Apple gets into a legal battle with another company, the company in question is automatically ostracized and their products turn into crap, enough already.

    oh please. Bose was crap before an Apple lawsuit. Just ask any audiophile or audio engineer.

    Now if you were talking about AKG or Sennheiser that'd be a different deal.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

     

    Last time I looked you could buy MS Office in the Apple Store.


     

    Except (granting the adequacy of Pages, the relative simplicity of Numbers and the superiority of Keynote for most individual users) Apple has no competitive products in the enterprise space for office productivity, especially in spreadsheets, and you have to do the export two-step to share any iWork files with 90%+ of the computing world in general...



    (I guess that last is technically no longer true given Apple's iWorks for iCloud beta online offering, but then, even with a Mac I've never logged into that service.  And don't see mass adoption by PC users anytime soon. While Office Live offers the same service in relative reverse and MS is really working hard on making affordable versions of Office available across the great majority of iDevice platforms.  And Word has become the crappy program I've finally mastered well enough to not want to leave it. Just don't try to get me to give up Keynote for PP....)

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mubaili View Post



    Good, this shows Tim Cook is a man that just wants to focus on products not law suits. Looking forward to next week's event.



    What I feel the whole endorsement mess shows in spades is that you can't trust any celebrity endorsement to be even remotely real (for any paid endorsers of any product).  As witness Joan River's glowing "endorsement" of the iPhone 6 that was released after her death (and before she could have had an iP6).  



    Also, unless Apple rapidly upgrades the quality of Beats products across the board they risk being tagged as a company that's got a fair degree of over-hyped-more-sizzle-than-steak-ness across its own core product range. 

Sign In or Register to comment.