Apple sends out invitations for Oct. 16 iPad event: 'It's been way too long'

Comments

• Reply 241 of 287
    I'm ready, I'm ready - for any number of updates to AppleTV. Hotter processor, app store, a subscription that offers something comparable to what Amazon Prime does for movies and TV.

Please bring back storage on the device. Time-shifting only becomes more of the rule than the exception. Even live events - well, more time-stable events like Premier League Football - let me give a match a 15-minute head start before I start watching. Skip half-time commercials and "analysis" and right straight through the rest in real time.
  • Reply 242 of 287
    zanczanc Posts: 10member
    Clutching at straws perhaps, but I notice that the Apple logo is in rainbow colours which were changed to monochrome in 1998. The product immediately prior to 1998 was the Pippin. Could this be a sign that the Apple TV will be having games support and hence by deduction an Apple TV store?
  • Reply 243 of 287
    Originally Posted by zanc View Post

Clutching at straws perhaps, but I notice that the Apple logo is in rainbow colours which were changed to monochrome in 1998. The product immediately prior to 1998 was the Pippin. Could this be a sign that the Apple TV will be having games support…

I hate you for how much sense this makes. That’s so cool. I love the ludicrous Apple Invite guesses we always have, but this one is backed by logic. Kudos to you for thinking it up.

I still don’t see an Apple TV store. It doesn’t need one in any respect. It doesn’t have the storage for it. It’s not designed for it. The best I could see is gaining the ability to offload processing for some iOS games by doing a quick file transfer from your iOS device before playing.

• Reply 244 of 287
    zanczanc Posts: 10member
    I'd predict a new Apple TV. If this also had extra storage and 4k support, it would be a very serious product.
  • Reply 245 of 287
    zanc wrote: »
    I'd predict a new Apple TV. If this also had extra storage and 4k support, it would be a very serious product.

Oh my, not this 4k nonsense again. You'll need ?20Mib/s Internet connection for that. The US average out at 10Mib/s, never mind the rest of the world. No, no 4k for many years, no matter what Carl says. Or nut for that matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

Only South Korea is able to get it. Still, they'll need 4k content, which simply isn't there:
  • Reply 246 of 287
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Oh my, not this 4k nonsense again. You'll need ?20Mib/s Internet connection for that. The US average out at 10Mib/s, never mind the rest of the world. No, no 4k for many years, no matter what Carl says. Or nut for that matter.

Only South Korea is able to get it. Still, they'll need 4k content, which simply isn't there:

We really do H.265 to become standard before 4K content will be feasible.
  • Reply 247 of 287
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why hasn’t Apple added support for H.266 yet? They’re obviously lagging.

• Reply 248 of 287
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Good point. Still, we need filmmakers to shoot in 4k (or 5k), but they're not on a wide scale. Heck, it was presumed 4k was coming, ready or not, back in 2012. Alas, it hash;t happened, and I personally think it will take a long time.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/59616-4k-is-coming-ready-or-not/

This one is also a fun read (2014):
    Why You Should NOT Shoot 4K if You're an Indie Filmmaker ...
    http://www.mentorless.com/2014/04/14/shoot-4k-youre-indie-filmmaker/
  • Reply 249 of 287
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You can download it at 10Mbit and watch it later, as opposed to streaming. And as SolipsismX said, new codecs are coming. And with things like the Retina HD iPhone and (probable) new Retina iMac, and massive price falls in 3rd party 4k screens, I think it's closer than people think.

The TV makers thought 3D was going to be the reason for everyone to upgrade their TV, but it didn't take off, so now they need something else. There are those TV with curved screens in the shops now, they look good, but there was no massive crowd of people standing around and gawking when I saw one. I think 4K will be it.

• Reply 250 of 287
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

4k has been going for about a year now with Netflix and a few other niche services. 20 mbit/sec is no biggie outside the U.S. Within the U.S., h.265 will enable 10-15 mbit/sec just fine. There is so much 4k content ready to go. Many older 35mm prints have been transferred to 4k and most new films are shot on 4k and 5k. Just waiting for the right content network to upgrade...Apple TV.
  • Reply 251 of 287
    wigby wrote: »
    4k has been going for about a year now with Netflix and a few other niche services. 20 mbit/sec is no biggie outside the U.S. Within the U.S., h.265 will enable 10-15 mbit/sec just fine. There is so much 4k content ready to go. Many older 35mm prints have been transferred to 4k and most new films are shot on 4k and 5k. Just waiting for the right content network to upgrade...Apple TV.

1) I'm curious about the file sizes for iTS' 720p and 1080p, Netflix's HD and UHD (or however they define these), and other sites like YouTube, Amazon, etc. to see what are the bitrates for these various services. Since iTS is the only one that isn't designed for the traditional streaming I think it's likely that the bitrate foriTS content will be higher than 1080p for Netflix for a given video or video segment.

2) I think the Apple TV being a great way to stream Netflix video* is a decent argument as to why Apple could be ready to now include HEVC(H.265) and 4K UHD capabilities, even if iTS isn't ready for it, which I don't see why they wouldn't be if Netflix is pushing it.

* I've heard the Amazon FireTV is even better for streaming Netflix but I haven't tested it myself.
  • Reply 252 of 287
    Quote:

1) I'm curious about the file sizes for iTS' 720p and 1080p, Netflix's HD and UHD (or however they define these), and other sites like YouTube, Amazon, etc. to see what are the bitrates for these various services. Since iTS is the only one that isn't designed for the traditional streaming I think it's likely that the bitrate foriTS content will be higher than 1080p for Netflix for a given video or video segment.

Microsoft's movie service Xbox Video (which, despite the name, also lets you buy/rent movies in Windows) gives you the choice of download or stream. It literally pops up a dialog when you click "rent" and asks you which you want to do. So Apple is not *totally* alone, but yeah most of the services are stream only. People with slow connections may have to choose Apple or Microsoft for their movie needs, or use the other services at lower res.

• Reply 253 of 287
    ascii wrote: »
    Microsoft's movie service Xbox Video (which, despite the name, also lets you buy/rent movies in Windows) gives you the choice of download or stream. It literally pops up a dialog when you click "rent" and asks you which you want to do. So Apple is not *totally* alone, but yeah most of the services are stream only. People with slow connections may have to choose Apple or Microsoft for their movie needs, or use the other services at lower res.

1) My mistake, I should have been specific. I meant the only one alone in my list, but I am wondering now if Amazon also has a rental service.

2) Is there any bit rate differences between those two options with Xbox Video?
  • Reply 254 of 287

Oh, speaking of the Xbox, I find it hilarious that developers have given up on 1080p and 60 fps and are going with 900p30 from now on. How pathetic, really.

• Reply 255 of 287
    Quote:

2) Is there any bit rate differences between those two options with Xbox Video?

Sorry I don't know how to go about determining the answer to that. You choose between 720p and 1080p *before* you choose to download or stream if that means anything. It's not like if you choose stream then it has to be 720p. It feels like they are leaving it up to the user to notice that they are getting too much buffering, and to choose Download next time, rather than trying to use technical means such as on the fly bitrate changes to adapt to their particular connection.

• Reply 256 of 287
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ascii wrote: »
    You can download it at 10Mbit and watch it later, as opposed to streaming. And as SolipsismX said, new codecs are coming. And with things like the Retina HD iPhone and (probable) new Retina iMac, and massive price falls in 3rd party 4k screens, I think it's closer than people think.

The TV makers thought 3D was going to be the reason for everyone to upgrade their TV, but it didn't take off, so now they need something else. There are those TV with curved screens in the shops now, they look good, but there was no massive crowd of people standing around and gawking when I saw one. I think 4K will be it.

They may very well sell 4k TV sets, but we need content that was shot in high res for that. Or scanned film. I'm just not seeing a global switch to 4k broadcast, with the news and commercials shot in 4k.

wigby wrote: »

• Reply 257 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They may very well sell 4k TV sets, but we need content that was shot in high res for that. Or scanned film. I'm just not seeing a global switch to 4k broadcast, with the news and commercials shot in 4k.

You're not seeing the switch to 4k but that doesn't mean it's not happening. Most things these days are shot in 4k just like having an original 35mm negative. However, most things are finished in 2k or 1080p because there is no established network to run 4k. Any movie or commercial or series has all of these assets stored and 2 or 5 years from now can spit them out as 4K or higher. Of course 1080p content can also be uprezzed and most people wouldn't know the difference the same way most people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. iTunes in 4k for instance, would only make a small dent in the situation but it would create ripples and disrupt the industry and that would accelerate everything just like Apple Pay is going to. It all starts with the first hardware entry into 4k or 5k from Apple so let's hope at least the iMac rumors are true.

• Reply 258 of 287
    Good point. Still, we need filmmakers to shoot in 4k (or 5k), but they're not on a wide scale. Heck, it was presumed 4k was coming, ready or not, back in 2012. Alas, it hash;t happened, and I personally think it will take a long time.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/59616-4k-is-coming-ready-or-not/

This one is also a fun read (2014):
    Why You Should NOT Shoot 4K if You're an Indie Filmmaker ...
    http://www.mentorless.com/2014/04/14/shoot-4k-youre-indie-filmmaker/

I wonder how the Star Wars prequels will look on a 4K TV or 8K theater projector? If I recall correctly, they were shot on state-of-the-art 2K digital cameras (CineAlta) at the time.
  • Reply 259 of 287
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder how the Star Wars prequels will look on a 4K TV or 8K theater projector? If I recall correctly, they were shot on state-of-the-art 2K digital cameras (CineAlta) at the time.

Star Wars prequels were shot on a combination of 35mm and HD cameras. At the time, those HD cameras were state of the art but after a few years, state of the art becomes almost unusable when you need to blow up to 4k and 8k. On the other hand, 35mm approximates 4k closely so everything before then is future-proofed. Ironically, the new Star Wars trilogy (JJ Abrams) will be shot on iMax and 35mm celluloid.

• Reply 260 of 287
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Ironically, the new Star Wars trilogy (JJ Abrams) will be shot on iMax and 35mm celluloid.

I really don’t like that they’re using film for those. If they shoot with an 8K camera, that’s perfect future proofing. Super Hi-Vision’s density is all we will ever need.