Apple will not unveil MacBook Air with Retina display at Thursday event - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2014
Though Apple has been rumored to be working on a redesigned MacBook Air with a high-resolution Retina display for some time, the device will not launch at this Thursday's media event in Cupertino, Calif., according to a new report.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, John Paczkowski of Re/code reported on Monday that the rumored new MacBook Air will not debut. He did, however, reiterate that the company is in fact planning to launch a new iMac with a high-resolution Retina display.

The absence of the new MacBook Air is largely in line with the latest rumors, which have indicated the device won't be available in time for this holiday season. Instead, it's been reported that the new ultraportable laptop with a Retina display won't see the light of day until 2015.

Rumors about the new MacBook Air have persisted for some time, and have consistently claimed that the device will feature an all-new thinner chassis along with a single screen size of 12 inches.

It's been said that part of the hold-up for the new notebook is short supply of Intel's next-generation 14-nanometer Broadwell chips. Intel's new chips are said to allow the notebook to have a fan-less design along with power saving advantages.

Other rumors have suggested Apple will achieve new levels of thinness by adopting a "click-less" trackpad, and also including fewer inputs and outputs.

The existing MacBook Air lineup was given a minor speed bump and accompanying price cut in April. It comes in two screen sizes of 11.6 and 13.3 inches.

While the new MacBook Air is not expected to arrive this Thursday, the Retina display iMac is likely to be joined by new iPad models, as Apple has in recent history used its October media event to unveil its next-generation tablets. Rumors suggest that this year the new iPads will feature Touch ID fingerprint sensors.

Also expected to be showcased at the presentation is OS X Yosemite, which is scheduled for a fall release. And Apple has also pledged to launch its new iPhone 6-based Apple Pay service in October, which could suggest the launch of iOS 8.1 could be announced come Thursday.

The Apple TV set-top box is overdue for an update, but the latest rumors have suggested it may not see an update until 2015. Apple has reportedly been facing roadblocks in negotiations with media companies as it seeks to bolster content options on its $99 streaming device.

Invitations for this Thursday's event with the tagline "It's been way too long" were sent out to the media last week the keynote will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage. In addition, Apple will be offering a live stream of the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If Steve were alive, this would have happened....
  • Reply 2 of 101
    How many different products can these manufacturers pump out each day? Would be nice to see a sheet with the numbers for each product some day. It must be mind boggling.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

How many different products can these manufacturers pump out each day? Would be nice to see a sheet with the numbers for each product some day. It must be mind boggling.

To your point, Apple is consuming lots of displays of varying sizes, the factories must be cranking them out like crazy. This also why Apple does not use the same supplier for all the display types they spread the wealth.

I am not sure why retina display on an imac would take priority over and ipad or laptop.

• Reply 4 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If we get retina iMacs i wonder if Apple will also announce a retina Thunderbolt Display? Seems odd that we've gone a whole year with Apple not having something for the new MacPro. I wonder if these new iMacs will get any sort of redesign or if it's just the 2012 iMac design with retina display.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

I was expecting this, they probably have to wait for the Broadwell U parts, as the higher power drawing screen would be offset by the lower power draw CPU/GPU. And Core M at 5 watts isn't in the same class as 17 watt Broadwell will be. 

• Reply 6 of 101
    rogifan wrote: »
    If we get retina iMacs i wonder if Apple will also announce a retina Thunderbolt Display? Seems odd that we've gone a whole year with Apple not having something for the new MacPro. I wonder if these new iMacs will get any sort of redesign or if it's just the 2012 iMac design with retina display.

It's been too long since Apple updated the Thunderbolt display. A Retina Thunderbolt Display as thin as the iMac will be most welcome. As for the Mac Pro, I don't want Apple to surprise me every few years with something revolutionary. I want Apple to have a clear, stable (and boring) roadmap that says: "we will update the Mac Pro 3 months after Intel updates their chips"
  • Reply 7 of 101
    maestro64 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    To your point, Apple is consuming lots of displays of varying sizes, the factories must be cranking them out like crazy. This also why Apple does not use the same supplier for all the display types they spread the wealth.

I am not sure why retina display on an imac would take priority over and ipad or laptop.

Good point, many suppliers. Even Foxconn has 9 factories in China alone.

I would presume newer products take precedence of current ones. I see no problem with a current product taking a couple of days to be delivered, but new iPhones or whatever's just released would get priority. Much larger demand, and nice to post numbers sold in 1st 24 hours for 'bragging' rights.
  • Reply 8 of 101

Well, yeah. We knew that.

• Reply 9 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I too would like to see a retina Thunderbolt 2 Display (4k or 5k). I think owners of the new Mac Pro would like to see this as well. 

• Reply 10 of 101

Well, if this is true, it is very disappointing.  :no:

• Reply 11 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    It's been too long since Apple updated the Thunderbolt display. A Retina Thunderbolt Display as thin as the iMac will be most welcome. As for the Mac Pro, I don't want Apple to surprise me every few years with something revolutionary. I want Apple to have a clear, stable (and boring) roadmap that says: "we will update the Mac Pro 3 months after Intel updates their chips"

I wouldn't mind seeing an iMac without the chin. Not sure how they'd redesign the speaker placement but a chinless iMac would be awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    macxpress wrote: »

I too would like to see a retina Thunderbolt 2 Display (4k or 5k). I think owners of the new Mac Pro would like to see this as well. 
    Maybe we will see a new iMac retina that can also be used as a retina display for a thunderbolt connected MacBook.
    Would be nice if it would even accept AirPlay, so you could use it as a display for your iPad / iPhone
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Maybe we will see a new iMac retina that can also be used as a retina display for a thunderbolt connected MacBook.

Would be nice if it would even accept AirPlay, so you could use it as a display for your iPad / iPhone

Current iMacs can already do this...I can't see why they'd not leave this in. That being said, thats an awful expensive display. 

• Reply 14 of 101
    shevshev Posts: 84member

Guess I'll be waiting until 2015 then :(

2011 October MBA here

• Reply 15 of 101
    Let's hope the rumors that the thinner design means fewer ports don't prove true. One of the advantages of Apple products has always been that they ship with more built-in than their cheaper competitors. For laptops that's particularly important, since it means we have less clutter to carry about. Lugging about a multi-port USB adapter would be a pain.

Also, I'm quite happy using my iPad in lieu of a laptop. If this new MBA doesn't ship with:

1. A Dart-like power supply to replace the current out-sized white brick

http://finsix.com/dart/

2. A Retina display

I'll almost certainly take a pass. I do like that iPad.

Finally, given the importance of location services, it'd be great if Apple adopted a policy of including GPS in all their mobile devices and laptops. That'd put them one up on their competition.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    macxpress wrote: »

Current iMacs can already do this...I can't see why they'd not leave this in. That being said, thats an awful expensive display. 
    Yes I agree, I hope they do leave it in, but they didn't do it for AirPlay tyen.

It is quite expensive if you Just use it as a display, but it's really convenient. Often at my desk I want to show stuff on my iPad to a few people gathered, it would be nice just to be able to use it. In many ways it seems odd that I can't use my 27 apple monitor for my iPad or iPhone, but I can use the samsung display in a conference room ( via pile tv)
  • Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I think Apple has started to move all of its displays to higher res and more easily scalable to HD and 4K.  Only reason against the change would be availability of the display from manufacturers so this is a matter of when.

• Reply 18 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

There still a surprising number of people that haven't quite moved to the "laptop" way of living yet, and think that a computer needs to be a big box (or not-so-big in this case) sitting on a desk. Lots of people buying their first Mac this way. 

• Reply 19 of 101
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Great article, most informative. There are a lot of products Apple is working on for which we haven't heard any rumors yet, and they also won't be announced at the Thursday event.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    The only thing that could possibly fit "It's been way too long" is the AppleTV. ..or I guess retina-HD screens for big iMac and Mac Pro might fit that.

My money is on AppleTV, "content partner trouble" be damned.