FBI director continues crusade against Apple's encryption of iPhone data

Comments

• Reply 81 of 188
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Here's a list of why everyone--not boogie men from politicians' sound bites--should care about having encryption with no back door:

https://keybase.io/blog/2014-10-08/the-horror-of-a-secure-golden-key

He does acknowledge, though, that there is a problem with inaccessible data. Computer information is, indeed, so very different from physically stored documents and papers. And how we treat computer information can't be totally equivocated from how we treat physical documents/information. The medium makes it different.

• Reply 82 of 188
    US debt and obligations to China and other foreign powers has already hopelessly compromised US sovereignty.
    The bulk of US debt is owned by US companies/institutions and individuals. China owns an inconsequential 8%.
  • Reply 83 of 188
    If they, FBI and others wouldn't have abused the the common individuals privacy privileges in the past, this would not be an issue today. Unfortunately only the IRS can delete emails without a trace of their existence. How sad.
  • Reply 84 of 188
    The U.S. government keeps all kinds of secrets from Americans--the very people they supposedly serve, and yet they don't give the people the keys.
  • Reply 85 of 188
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So far I've seen no examples of how the global information dragnet has contributed significantly to either general security or advancing our individual liberties. Quite the opposite.

I'm not saying that people's privacy should just fall open when the government wants it to. But I am saying there's a problem when criminals can't be tracked or eavesdropped in any way, because nobody can.

Digital anarchy. That's what may be coming.

• Reply 86 of 188
    Time to get off all the corporate cloud offerings and roll your own ala Time Capsule and OS X Server, or industrial versions of the former, depending on your use cases...
  • Reply 87 of 188
    FBI, and other federal agencies is NOT above the fucking law. We the people vote President and the congress men and women. So we are the "boss" of all of this fucking crooks! So that FBI cry baby boy need to shut the fucking up!!!
  • Reply 88 of 188
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Was the famous BlackBerry phone's encryption system different in some way?

I was thinking the same exact thing. If BBs were so secure for years then why is it a problem now? Why the sudden crusade against the iPhone.
  • Reply 89 of 188
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Let's see if you privacy nuts sing a different tune when one of your family members is kidnapped and the perp has their location on their iPhone and won't give the cops the password.

Provide a reference to an instance of this happening.

• Reply 90 of 188
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Well, I, for one, think this is a problem both technology companies and the government have to figure out together. It really is a problem that the government has been able to vacuum up everybody's data to analyze (though those same technology companies have been doing the same thing with far fewer complaints).

On the other hand, it would really suck if my kid was abducted and the police had no possible way of locating the captor or intercepting his/her phone messages. This is a real conundrum that I think a lot of people on here won't care to even acknowledge. Just another day of black-and-white thinking in the AI community...

Wait, what?

The police would still have no problem getting a warrant to intercept any phone calls (those aren't encrypted in storage on the phone) or to track his/her GPS (again, not encrypted) if the offender is dumb enough to use them.

Everything you mentioned above is no conundrum at all, even for all us troglodytes here at AI.

• Reply 91 of 188
    How often have we heard an official say "We don't spy on our citizens!" only to find out that they have been... Sorry but you guys lost my sympathies a long time ago.

If I decide to memorize my data, do you have the right to dig around in my head to get at it even with a warrant? My phone is just an extension of my brain/memory... You don't have a right to it!
  • Reply 92 of 188
    texdeafy wrote: »
    FBI, and other federal agencies is NOT above the fucking law. We the people vote President and the congress men and women. So we are the "boss" of all of this fucking crooks! So that FBI cry baby boy need to shut the fucking up!!!

Most awesome post if the day...so far. Reminds me of HAMETA.
  • Reply 93 of 188
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    emoeric87 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that people's privacy should just fall open when the government wants it to. But I am saying there's a problem when criminals can't be tracked or eavesdropped in any way, because nobody can.

Digital anarchy. That's what may be coming.

Not at all, tracing people isn't an issue here, that is as easy as it was (cell tower info isn't locked down).
    Almost all other kinds of tracking can be done as before using bugs, social engineering, spying etc., it will take a bit more effort in some cases but that's all.
  • Reply 94 of 188
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

People no longer feel that the constitution is sufficient to protect them from an overreaching police state. 

Who, anywhere, feels this? The Constitution is explicit in this regard. The only problem today is that people aren’t using it against those pushing illegal action.

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

appear

Key word.

• Reply 95 of 188
    Most awesome post of the day...so far. Reminds me of HAMETA.

Fixed that for you :D
  • Reply 96 of 188
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

What they have been doing has been warrant less searches!!!  Just searching anyone they feel like it.   That's against the constitution of this country and it's been getting more and more stepped all over by this government, Obama being the worst yet!  The Patriot Act that bush signed into  law is unconstitutional.  At least it was set to expire, but then OBAMA not only expanded it, it made it worse.   It was for spying on people out side this country, after Obama, it was just outright spying in any and all American's in this country.

This government and others think they just have the powers to do whatever it wants and we the people keep letting it happen.  My phone is a part of ME and private.  You want to see whats on get, Get a Court Order/Warrant for ME and My phone!!!  Otherwise F off!!!!

• Reply 97 of 188

Freedom is expensive! We pay a large price for our freedom... Including the possibility that a criminal may walk free because you cannot get to the information on a phone!

>40000 people die each year on US roads and we accept that because we value our freedom to move about freely. We could easily cut this number to <5000 by severely restricting our movement, but we don't.  My freedom of privacy is worth more then what my the freedom of movement is worth.

• Reply 98 of 188
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Let's see if you privacy nuts sing a different tune when one of your family members is kidnapped and the perp has their location on their iPhone and won't give the cops the password.

Why would a kidnapper put the location of his victim in his phone? Is he likely to forget?

• Reply 99 of 188
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Why would a kidnapper put the location of his victim in his phone? Is he likely to forget?

A killer wouldn’t, though he then runs the risk of forgetting.

Second murder rolls around, he’s in the woods burying the body, shovel hits the first body he buried… “I knew there was a reason I thought this woods would be a good place!”

• Reply 100 of 188
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    texdeafy wrote: »

Giving a group of people a mandate for a few years doesn't seem to work.
    It's time to install a real democracy in which we decide per issue whenever we think it concers us and reverse the chain of power.
    Also Human rights (and Animal rights) are above any local law be it the US or elsewhere.