iPhone 6 & 6 Plus demand exceeding supply, iPhone 5s selling well as Apple dominates smartphone sale

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
New data shows the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 5s were the top three selling smartphones at all four major U.S. carriers over the last month, giving Apple complete dominance of its home market.

The latest monthly wireless store survey from Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley shows that Apple's flagship 4.7-inch iPhone 6 was the best selling smartphone at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile in September and through the first portion of October. The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus also came in second at all four major U.S. carriers.

Walkley said his data showed that the new iPhone 6 series was "by far" the top selling smartphones at all carriers and channels. However, the surveys also found that Apple is experiencing "very limited supply" for its latest generation devices.

The poll found that the iPhone 6 Plus was completely out of stock at all four U.S. carriers, with a typical wait time of two to three weeks or even more. Availability of the iPhone 6 was better, but still "very limited" with a typical wait time of seven-plus days, Walkley said.

Coming in third place at all four major carriers was the previous-generation iPhone 5s, which sells with a new two-year contract subsidy for $99. The surveys showed that the iPhone 5s continues to see "steady demand" at its new, lower price point.

The survey has prompted Walkley to lower his Android smartphone estimates, as the data also suggests that the new iPhone 6 lineup is giving Apple strong market share gains.

"Apple is gaining material high-end market share with the price reductions in the iPhone 5s and very strong demand for the iPhone 6 models," he wrote.

His estimates call for Apple to have sold 37.7 million iPhones in the just-concluded September quarter, while he sees shipments spiking to 63 million units in the current December quarter. that would put total iPhone sales in calendar 2014 at 179.6 million units.

Looking forward to calendar 2015, he sees Apple shipping 53.6 million iPhone units in the March quarter, on its way to 209.6 million total units in the full year.

Canaccord Genuity has maintained its "buy" rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $115.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Insane!!!

Go APPL!!! :smokey:
  • Reply 2 of 68
    His estimates call for Apple to have sold 37.7 million iPhones in the just-concluded September quarter, while he sees shipments spiking to 63 million units in the current December quarter. that would put total iPhone sales in calendar 2014 at 179.6 million units.

Looking forward to calendar 2015, he sees Apple shipping 53.6 million iPhone units in the March quarter, on its way to 209.6 million total units in the full year.

Canaccord Genuity has maintained its "buy" rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $115.

Frick me, 63M in the holiday Q, that's not only a high estimate, it may very well be quite accurate. 179M in calendar 2014 is probably a typo, I'm guessing he means / the article means it's 179M for a 12 month period.

And the stock increasing by 15%, well, happy stock owners there.
  • Reply 3 of 68

Unpossible. Samesung's attack ads are surely overtaking Apple.

Bendgate! Bendgate! Bendgate! 

heh...

• Reply 4 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Frick me, 63M in the holiday Q, that's not only a high estimate, it may very well be quite accurate. 179M in calendar 2014 is probably a typo, I'm guessing he means / the article means it's 179M for a 12 month period.

I think he means Jan 1, 2014 to Dec 30, 2014, so that would be the calendar year.

I'd guess Apple passes the 200m mark for calendar year 2015 iPhone sales about this time next year.

• Reply 5 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

The best part is the iPhone 5s being in the top 3. At $99, its still way better than anything that any one else has to offer.

• Reply 6 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Unpossible. Samesung's attack ads are surely overtaking Apple.

Bendgate! Bendgate! Bendgate! 

heh...

Who here would bet that Apple re-engineers the next iPhone to completely eliminate those weak spots? Not saying they need it, just that Apple will figure a way to improve the iPhone structure for next year to put a kibosh on those jokers.

• Reply 7 of 68
    tmay wrote: »
    Who here would bet that Apple re-engineers the next iPhone to completely eliminate those weak spots? Not saying they need it, just that Apple will figure a way to improve the iPhone structure for next year to put a kibosh on those jokers.

It won't matter. The YouTubers will just hire bodybuilders to bend the next model.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    tmay wrote: »
    I think he means Jan 1, 2014 to Dec 30, 2014, so that would be the calendar year.

You mean 2015, right? Because if he thinks they'll sell 63M in the december quarter, they would need to sell over 100M in the september quarter, which contradicts his estimate of ...never mind; the article has been rectified.

edit: my reading comprehension failing here: the numbers are for all iPhones, not just the 6 & 6+. Mea culpa
  • Reply 9 of 68
    [QUOTE]In September, Apple set a new record for pre-orders, with the iPhone 6 clocking in at 10 million. That number covered the first ten countries that the iPhone 6 was selling into. Today we're learning from China-based QQ that [B][I] pre-orders for iPhone 6 in China have reached[COLOR=blue] 20 million [/COLOR]during the pre-order period from October 10-13. [/I][/B] Early signs indicate that the larger iPhone 6 Plus is slightly in the lead.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/10/chinas-iphone-6-pre-orders-rocket-to-20-million.html
  • Reply 10 of 68

These numbers are eye popping.  Truly amazing.

• Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

It won't matter. The YouTubers will just hire bodybuilders to bend the next model.

Or make it even more flexible... 

• Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The best part is the iPhone 5s being in the top 3. At $99, its still way better than anything that any one else has to offer.

Didn't you know... there is absolutely no demand for a 4" phone.

• Reply 13 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

If someone can supply me with a brand-new Samsung S5 phone, I'll bend it by hand... and post it on youtube.

• Reply 14 of 68
    This report must be false and all of you are a bunch of Apple fanboys!!!! Apple is doomed. Period. /s
  • Reply 15 of 68
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I believe that the 179M units in calendar 2014 is accurate.  It would require that the first 3 Qs only averaged 38.67M units, and I think that's correct.

• Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I believe that the 179M units in calendar 2014 is accurate.  It would require that the first 3 Qs only averaged 38.67M units, and I think that's correct.

It all depends on the last quarter, which we should know in 2 weeks (maybe even hinted at in 3 days)

But looking quickly at asymco.com... Apple has shipped north of 76million phones for the first 6 months, and the jul-sep quarter is usually higher than the apr-jun quarter, which would put it between 36-40 million.

Last year it shipped over 50M phones, assuming a demand for the larger phones, 25% growth to 63 million on this is conservative

To me, the question is this time next year.   Will the 5c be replaced with a 6c and will the 5s become a '.99' phone, and if so, for how long.   I do think the 4" phone will be part of the long term lineup, and I'm curious once the technology matures, if Apple will stuff the speed/performancce into a 4" phone and have 3 sizes at 4-6 price points.

• Reply 17 of 68
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

That's not possible.  Bendgate.  Hairgate.  iOS 8 problems.  Cracks.  Note is more durable.  Galaxy has better screen and battery life.  That's stuffing the channel not sold.  That's an accounting rounding error.  The Note Sidethingie isn't on sale yet.  Android crushes Apple in marketshare.  Apple can't compete with low end.  Smart phone market is already saturated.  Growth is impossible in the sector.  Blah blah blah blah blah blah Businessinsider blah blah blah.

/sarcasm

Go Apple!

• Reply 18 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

That's not possible.  Bendgate.  Hairgate.  iOS 8 problems.  Cracks.  Note is more durable.  Galaxy has better screen and battery life.  That's stuffing the channel not sold.  That's an accounting rounding error.  The Note Sidethingie isn't on sale yet.  Android crushes Apple in marketshare.  Apple can't compete with low end.  Smart phone market is already saturated.  Growth is impossible in the sector.  Blah blah blah blah blah blah Businessinsider blah blah blah.

/sarcasm

Go Apple!

I think you just covered all the troll talking points. They are getting more desperate these days aren’t they?

• Reply 19 of 68
    thompr wrote: »

It all depends on the last quarter, which we should know in 2 weeks (maybe even hinted at in 3 days)
    But looking quickly at asymco.com... Apple has shipped north of 76million phones for the first 6 months, and the jul-sep quarter is usually higher than the apr-jun quarter, which would put it between 36-40 million.

Last year it shipped over 50M phones, assuming a demand for the larger phones, 25% growth to 63 million on this is conservative

To me, the question is this time next year.   Will the 5c be replaced with a 6c and will the 5s become a '.99' phone, and if so, for how long.   I do think the 4" phone will be part of the long term lineup, and I'm curious once the technology matures, if Apple will stuff the speed/performancce into a 4" phone and have 3 sizes at 4-6 price points.

but 

As to this time next year -- I suspect that all Apple iPhones offered will be Apple Pay enabled (regardless of size).

I posted earlier that there are 20 million iPhone 6/6+ pre orders in China. It is worth noting that major credit cards are accepted in major cities, malls, hotels, etc. in China -- likely, the places frequented by tourists, business travelers and affluent Chinese citizens.

I wonder what the impact of enabling Apple Pay in China will be ...
  • Reply 20 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

My iPhone 5 bent at the same weak spot by the volume - button when I had it in my back pocket, and fell on my rear end. I doubt Apple re-engineered anything then, and they probably won't this time around either. We'll see an iPhone 6S in the same form factor next fall, and then we'll get another redesign the year after. Or at least that's been the case since the iPhone 3G.

And even if they do make some internal changes, they'll be very quiet about it. The truth is, if it isn't that, then the paid Samedung shills will find something else to "claim" about the new iPhone. Just last week on the day the bad financial news about Samesung came out, USA Today curiously ran a "hairgate" (or beardgate) article for 3 whole days. I'm talking this article was front and center with the 5 or so other top stories of the day. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/10/07/iphone-6-hairgate-hair-pulled/16849665/ There was very little doubt in my mind that Samesung was behind it. Just a lame attempt on their part to deflect attention from their bad financial news.