Apple will not unveil MacBook Air with Retina display at Thursday event - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The iMac is in more need of a better screen than an Air as it's a netbook with not much power. And the price needs to be kept low.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    The HDRetina iMac will be the big news here. And Yosemite.
    Add a fingerprint sensor to the iPad is hardly event worthy.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The iMac is in more need of a better screen than an Air as it's a netbook with not much power. And the price needs to be kept low.

OMG...you said the word Netbook. How dare you! Let the flaming begin!

BTW...I do agree its a netbook. Yes, it may not be like what we know of as a netbook, but all in all, its an advanced netbook. 

• Reply 24 of 101
    macxpress wrote: »

Current iMacs can already do this...I can't see why they'd not leave this in. That being said, thats an awful expensive display. 

You can AirPlay to an iMac?
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

You can AirPlay to an iMac?

No, but you can already use it as an external display which is what I was referring to. 

• Reply 26 of 101
    macxpress wrote: »
    OMG...you said the word Netbook. How dare you! Let the flaming begin!

BTW...I do agree its a netbook. Yes, it may not be like what we know of as a netbook, but all in all, its an advanced netbook. 

Is basically is. It's a state of the art one- but one nonetheless.
    Also it's screen is already better the the original 13" MBPro line's was so it doesn't really need it. At least not now.
    The iMac however really does need it as the machine has the power and there is no battery drain. Photos and text need it bad.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

To your point, Apple is consuming lots of displays of varying sizes, the factories must be cranking them out like crazy. This also why Apple does not use the same supplier for all the display types they spread the wealth.

I am not sure why retina display on an imac would take priority over and ipad or laptop.

in the mac line:  If you're making 5 Million computers every 90 days, that's 55,000 devices a day, and assuming 1 screen per device, that's about 1 display per second.

as for retina on the iMac... a greater power envelope to exploit... No batteries to worry about.

• Reply 28 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I too would like to see a retina Thunderbolt 2 Display (4k or 5k). I think owners of the new Mac Pro would like to see this as well. 

A shot in the dark, but I think the reason we haven't seen a 5K display for the iMac or Thunderbold Display is simply because of the complexity of getting such a huge slab of display at an "affordable" price point.  I would think that Apple doesn't want to price a retina iMac any higher than the current iMac pricing.

I'm really crossing my fingers for this.  I'm going to skip this upgrade of my 2009 iMac and wait till Broadwell comes out.

• Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

A shot in the dark, but I think the reason we haven't seen a 5K display for the iMac or Thunderbold Display is simply because of the complexity of getting such a huge slab of display at an "affordable" price point.  I would think that Apple doesn't want to price a retina iMac any higher than the current iMac pricing.

I'm really crossing my fingers for this.  I'm going to skip this upgrade of my 2009 iMac and wait till Broadwell comes out.

I think you're exactly right. If they do introduce a 4/5k display iMac, I'd be very interested to see what it costs. In the back of my mind, I kinda thinking it will just be a regular iMac update. I'm not sure quality IPS 4k panels are cheap enough to put in an iMac. At the same time, it looks to me like Yosemite is really aimed at retina type graphics. I don't get my hopes up for anything during an Apple event...makes it more exciting for me. Apple releases what they can and its not like they're not going to do something simply for not doing it. There's always a reason whether or not we want to believe it. 

• Reply 30 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    It's been too long since Apple updated the Thunderbolt display. A Retina Thunderbolt Display as thin as the iMac will be most welcome.

Give me an HDMI port and a 40 inch or higher model and I'm in.
    I want Apple to have a clear, stable (and boring) roadmap that says: "we will update the Mac Pro 3 months after Intel updates their chips"

Well I want a unicorn, a million dollars and a hot, raunchy monkey sex threesome with Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. We are both certain to be disappointed
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:

If Steve were alive, this would have happened....

No, it wouldn't.

What do you think he'd do, march over to Intel and solve their technical issues for them? Please...

Think he would have settled for the Broadwell Y? Please...

• Reply 32 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I was expecting this, they probably have to wait for the Broadwell U parts, as the higher power drawing screen would be offset by the lower power draw CPU/GPU. And Core M at 5 watts isn't in the same class as 17 watt Broadwell will be. 

This.

• Reply 33 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    williamh wrote: »
    Great article, most informative. There are a lot of products Apple is working on for which we haven't heard any rumors yet, and they also won't be announced at the Thursday event.

Yep. And over the years there have been a lot of rumors that were likely not things Apple was working on, but they made great hit fodder
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am not sure why retina display on an imac would take priority over and ipad or laptop.

Because Broadwell is not ready yet.  These devices require the 'U' chip, not the 'Y' chip.  So, Apple is kinda in an awkward place; introduce a new machine with last gen chips in order to get it done or wait a little longer and release it with the new gen chips.  I think, if the rumor is accurate, they are handling this correctly. 

• Reply 35 of 101

So the first rumor has been dispelled by the latest rumor and it must be an Apple problem.

• Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:

if its not what know of as a netbook, then how is it a netbook? did it take you long to compose this sentence - hope not

By chance i worked on large files of breathing data for a while this weekend, and since i had left my MBr at work, i used my 11 inch MBA, air played to a large projector, using matlab 2014rb. It was fast and effective.

If you had ever used a netbook, for anything other than web surfing/email small word docs, you would never ever call the MBA a netbook. Just because its small, and less powerful than MBr does not make it a netbook - i.e. something designed just to be used of r the inter(net)

• Reply 37 of 101
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    tipoo wrote: »
    I was expecting this, they probably have to wait for the Broadwell U parts, as the higher power drawing screen would be offset by the lower power draw CPU/GPU. And Core M at 5 watts isn't in the same class as 17 watt Broadwell will be. 

Time to switch to the A9.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Does anyone know if the new iMacs will have Thunderbolt 2 ports on them?
  • Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If we get retina iMacs i wonder if Apple will also announce a retina Thunderbolt Display? Seems odd that we've gone a whole year with Apple not having something for the new MacPro. I wonder if these new iMacs will get any sort of redesign or if it's just the 2012 iMac design with retina display.

I would like to see a retina Thunderbolt display as well....so long as it has compatibility with the Retina MBP's.    When I saw the "It's been way too long..." this is the first thing I thought of.

• Reply 40 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Please AI, stop calling these rumors “reports.” Calling something a report implies factual information. These are just ass-hats making up rumors to try and get clicks. I’m perfectly willing to wait a couple of days to find out what Apple actually releases or does not release. I can handle the stress of not knowing, really I can.