How to enable and use 'Hey Siri' handsfree mode in iOS 8

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    slurpy wrote: »
    iOS8 needs 6.9GB to install on my iPad Air.. WTF?? I have 600 MB free. 

Just delete some data. You may also find that less space is needed if you install via iTunes.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Why is there a "when connected to power" requirement? I can see it if the display is off, but in general, why not allow it normally?

Hop in your car, throw the phone in the Airframe, start driving, "Hey Siri.... navigate to...."

Good point. I don't understand why Apple simply don't give you an option to use "Hey, Siri" any time. Probably because of malicious people. That's where having your own customised command would help.

"Hey, BobSchlob..."
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good point. I don't understand why Apple simply don't give you an option to use "Hey, Siri" any time. Probably because of malicious people. That's where having your own customised command would help.

"Hey, BobSchlob..."

That would be nice too. I imagine that will show up in future versions, although it's a bit of a free advertisement right now.

Right now I don't think there's any way to change "Ok Google" either. Although Tasker can work with AutoVoice to intercept Now commands before they reach Google and do anything Tasker can do with a voice command (which is pretty much anything you can do with the phone).

• Reply 44 of 60
    slurpy wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion? That's for doing the update on the device which includes the download and swap space needed for the install, or are you counting against the maximum BASE-10 capacity against the BASE-2 file system?

gtr wrote: »
    I've just downloaded iOS 8 and installed it without any problems but my phone still doesn't look like an iPhone 6 (which is what I ordered).

Does anybody know if there is an additional setting I need to enable to complete the process?

It's not a setting, you need to add water to start the process. If you want an iPhone 6 you submerge it in water for 4 hours and if you want an iPhone 6 Plus you submerge for 8 hours. This is all standard stuff.

Apple has also included those weird bars on the back so you can microwave off any excess moisture without hurting it. They think of everything¡
  • Reply 45 of 60

^^^^ lol

• Reply 46 of 60
    "Apple is also expected to update Siri in iOS 8 to use Shazam to identify a song that is currently audible. Currently, however, Siri will simply tell the user what song file is playing on the iPhone or iPad itself."

Umm, what? First of all, if a song is playing on the device itself and you bring up Siri in iOS8 it immediately stops playing the song, so what you described is not even possible. Second, I tried it with a bunch of songs that were being played from my TV last night and it identified every one correctly so this entire paragraph is just plain incorrect.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

“Connected to power.”

I wonder why that is required?
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder why that is required?

Power draw of always having a microphone on, processing the distinction between random sound and the phonemes of “Hey, Siri”.

• Reply 49 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

Power draw of always having a microphone on, processing the distinction between random sound and the phonemes of “Hey, Siri”.

Good point.

Meanwhile I would really like 'Hey Siri' on my Macs running Yosemite.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Why should I power on my iPad to use - Hey Siri. Looks like a dumb idea to me. Can't it listen always?
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Originally Posted by vijayst View Post

Why should I power on my iPad to use - Hey Siri. Looks like a dumb idea to me. Can't it listen always?

If you want the battery halved, sure.

• Reply 52 of 60
    vijayst wrote: »

1) Powering on is not the same as sleep mode. If your iPad isn't powered on it will just be a brick.

2) As TS states, battery life is probably an issue for an always listening state ready to respond instantly with a network connection to Apple's servers, but note it can do this when the display is OFF so long as it's plugged into an external power source.
  • Reply 53 of 60

Anyone tried "Hey Siri" through blutooth handfree mode?

I couldn't get it work on both iphone5 & iphone6 with audi(2014 model) blutooth.

Both iphones recognize the command but will get stuck on the Siri screen.  Siri will crash after a few tries.  

I am curious if the new feature is just buggy on the iOS8 or just not compatible through blutooth.

• Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Anyone tried "Hey Siri" through blutooth handfree mode?

I couldn't get it work on both iphone5 & iphone6 with audi(2014 model) blutooth.

Both iphones recognize the command but will get stuck on the Siri screen.  Siri will crash after a few tries.  

I am curious if the new feature is just buggy on the iOS8 or just not compatible through blutooth.

Siri shoud actually tell you (she told me) that she cannot function with bluetooth headphones activated.

If you look at your iPhone screen as you are talking to Siri in this configuration, you will notice random words scrolling across the screen, as Siri attempts to discern your speech via Bluetooth, unsuccessfully...

• Reply 55 of 60

There are plenty of times I would like to use the "Hey Siri" function when not plugged in, such as when in the kitchen cooking or making a cup of coffee. I wonder why they limited it to being plugged in?

In a perfect world I'd install a wall mount iPad to use for everything from home automation to ordering household supplies. It'd be fantastic to wake up and in morning and ask about the weather on the way to the shower, or to bring up the morning news, or make a skype call to mom. I suppose you could get a lot more versatile with a PC tablet in this regard though. 

• Reply 56 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's over the air with a full system swap: so BOTH systems need space to co-exist until the restart as the device is running off the old intact system until it's rebooted to the new one. . Use iTunes for a computer assisted installation and that space should be enough, IIRC 8 is slightly larger than 7 but not by much.

• Reply 57 of 60
    Originally Posted by kellyllek View Post

I wonder why they limited it to being plugged in?

Power draw.

In a perfect world Id install a wall mount iPad to use for everything from home automation

Hey, my dream. What are you doing over there?

• Reply 58 of 60

Tallest Skil, It so happens I live in a one room studio apartment. I light it up for all different activities; if I'm in the kitchen those lights are on, if working at the desk, a different set of lights, if watching a moving, etc, and if I'm leaving or sleeping I want them all off. So I rigged up all my lights to super cheap x10 modules, and using a controller I can tap a button on a remote for any light setting i want, and I don't have to run around the room to turn the all on or off individually. I'm pretty sure I can get an interface with the iphone but actually just seeing the convenience of home automation generally I am pleased to really be using Siri of some of her potential. I have two mounts where I can plug in, one along side my pc monitor, the other in the kitchen on a spice rack. Now I can be making a coffee and checking the weather, sending a text, or making a facetime call, all hands free. ;)

• Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did you come to that conclusion? That's for doing the update on the device which includes the download and swap space needed for the install, or are you counting against the maximum BASE-10 capacity against the BASE-2 file system?

It's not a setting, you need to add water to start the process. If you want an iPhone 6 you submerge it in water for 4 hours and if you want an iPhone 6 Plus you submerge for 8 hours. This is all standard stuff.

Apple has also included those weird bars on the back so you can microwave off any excess moisture without hurting it. They think of everything¡

Are you trying to set off "Watergate" in addition to "Bendgate"????

• Reply 60 of 60
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Siri shoud actually tell you (she told me) that she cannot function with bluetooth headphones activated.

If you look at your iPhone screen as you are talking to Siri in this configuration, you will notice random words scrolling across the screen, as Siri attempts to discern your speech via Bluetooth, unsuccessfully...

Since mine just froze, Siri didn't have chance to guide me further.  Hope this can be fixed and enabled via iOS 8.1 or later versions.  It would be nice to be little more hands free.  But the phone is mounted only a reach away, so don't know whether I would use this feature frequently while driving.  I am sure it will be a useful feature for many.  I just don't play with the phone much while driving other than leaving Waze on for the road condition alerts.