Apple seeds OS X Yosemite Public Beta 6 to testers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Even if people think it stable the fact is that it's really unlikely that a GM would be released a few days after a beta. Public or not.

I can see your point, but the public beta is more of a marketing/ PR tool I suspect, the developer test releases and their timings are more likely relevant to the final release date, I would have thought.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What bugs are you experiencing in Yosemite?

A big one for us is that the IP stack won't release a proxy server setting until you reboot. That is, if you have a proxy server URL filled in and then either remove it or switch to a Location that doesn't use a proxy server setting for that port (say, WiFi), the IP stack continues to try to use the proxy setting and you get no internet connectivity until you reboot. I reported this bug in the early Betas and it's still not fixed. It's quite annoying, especially for laptop users who change locations (say, go home from work or vice versa) and have to reboot every time instead of simply choosing the new Location from the Apple menu.

• Reply 23 of 40
    ktappe wrote: »
    A big one for us is that the IP stack won't release a proxy server setting until you reboot. That is, if you have a proxy server URL filled in and then either remove it or switch to a Location that doesn't use a proxy server setting for that port (say, WiFi), the IP stack continues to try to use the proxy setting and you get no internet connectivity until you reboot. I reported this bug in the early Betas and it's still not fixed. It's quite annoying, especially for laptop users who change locations (say, go home from work or vice versa) and have to reboot every time instead of simply choosing the new Location from the Apple menu.

Out of interest doesn't the developer menu option in Safari to clear caches help?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

It's just as likely that Apple will release Yosemite on Thursday as not. The time difference between GM v3 / Public Beta doesn't likely drive that at all. They can patch up to Thursday morning and still release quickly because of the digital distribution model. Pretty much all the regression testing is going to be scripted on a mature platform like OS X. And it's not like Apple doesn't release OS X versions without a quick 10.x.1 release.

• Reply 25 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Still quite a few bugs here.

I guess we'll never know of these mysterious bugs Yosemite has...Love it when people just comment vaguely and then leave. 

• Reply 26 of 40
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I guess we'll never know of these mysterious bugs Yosemite has...Love it when people just comment vaguely and then leave. 

Notification Center doesn’t save your widget order, Dashboard hasn’t been fixed of its bugs since 10.4, Safari refuses to save your plugin settings, iBooks Author is unusable (though it may just get an update on launch day)...

And Steve would never have let this keep happening:

• Reply 27 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Notification Center doesn’t save your widget order, Dashboard hasn’t been fixed of its bugs since 10.4, Safari refuses to save your plugin settings, iBooks Author is unusable (though it may just get an update on launch day)...

And Steve would never have let this keep happening:
    [image]

1. No issues with my widget order in Notification Center at any stage of development
    2. Dashboard is deprecated. Do they even advertise it as a feature.
    3. No issues with a single Plug-In setting
    4. Isn't iBooks Author a separate DL?
    5. That looks like an iTunes bug, not a Yosemite bug

Have you checked your permissions and disk to make sure it's all working properly. I say that because number 1 and 3 sound like issues that happen when permissions are fucked. If they are fine then I would consider doing a backup and then restoring from scratch.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That looks like an iTunes bug, not a Yosemite bug

It’s QuickTime.

Have you checked your permissions and disk to make sure it's all working properly. I say that because number 1 and 3 sound like issues that happen when permissions are fucked. If they are fine then I would consider doing a backup and then restoring from scratch.

Oh, I plan to do a clean install on my machines come the final release, but these happen across the board for me and my laptop was just clean installed for DP2. I don’t think it’s a computer specific issue.

• Reply 29 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It’s QuickTime.

1) Ah, I forgot about QT as I rarely ever use it expect to strip audio, make a clip, or combine clips, all of which I don't ever seem to do any more.

2) Is that the movie Non-Stop with Liam Neeson?
    Oh, I plan to do a clean install on my machines come the final release, but these happen across the board for me and my laptop was just clean installed for DP2. I don’t think it’s a computer specific issue.

But what are the results of Disk Utility? I ask because I'd expect that kind of issue to be pervasive if it's not an issue with the file system.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I can't find anything buggy that's note worthy with this latest dev release, did you? By the way, I upgraded my iCloud Drive to 500 GIGs and it shows in settings but my actual iCloud drive went from 25 GIGs to 50 GIGs not 500! I suspect this is teething trouble or upgrade still only related to iCloud of old (Mavericks) as opposed to iCloud Drive itself. Weird it did double though.

There is virtually nothing in the folders BTW, The Folder, 'Aperture Vault' is ready for a 350 GIG Vault when the space shows up.

EDIT: It gets stranger ... On my MBP the same iCloud Drive shows 30 GIGs free.

1000 1000

Surely that icloud drive problem is noteworthy. You don't know how much storage you actually have. You can forgive a late beta for that but not a GM going to millions.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    You know, I kinda agree. I've been using it since the first developer preview release and it's not really an improvement. It's very white and unbalanced overall. However I do think they needed to change the overall look a bit because the design was becoming a bit outdated.
    coolfactor wrote: »

Yah, I'm quite disappointed that Apple isn't providing more detailed Change Notes listing what has changed between each release. Their update notes are far too sparse. Makes you wonder if they are making many changes at all, or just minor tweaks here and there. In my eyes, Yosemite is not an upgrade to Mavericks from a purely visual standpoint. It's a big step backwards, and my eyes are not looking forward to the whiter-brighter, washed-out appearance that is severely lacking the more balanced contrast and colour spread that Mavericks now has.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ktappe wrote: »

These are the kind of bugs that many users won't see but will nevertheless affect tens or hundreds of thousands and enterprise users.

It's probably a violation of my NDA to be specific but the forums have lots of network and stability bugs. Very few people are complaining about widget order although no doubt that exists.

Why the obsession with a release date from some? you can download the latest bits right now and out them on a partition. A release will automatically d/l to the unsuspecting.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If the new iMacs need new drivers, and they have only developed Yosemite drivers, they may have to release it ready or not.

• Reply 34 of 40
    IWeb does it still work. I love this wysiwyg app there's nothing else like it. Not even close to it. I will stop upgrading when this app stops working unless apple puts its features in to pages or updates iWeb.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Apropos of nothing, on the latest "This Week In Tech" Nilay Patel (editor at The Verge) wondered out loud if Apple is even capable of releasing functional software anymore. A bit of an exaggeration, but he had a point.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iampatrick View Post

IWeb does it still work. I love this wysiwyg app there's nothing else like it. Not even close to it. I will stop upgrading when this app stops working unless apple puts its features in to pages or updates iWeb.

I personally don't use iWeb anymore, but since relatives of mine still do I have been making sure that it works or not all the way since DP 1. Yes, iWeb is still functioning in GM 3, and so ought to work in the final public release.

• Reply 37 of 40
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apropos of nothing, on the latest "This Week In Tech" Nilay Patel (editor at The Verge) wondered out loud if Apple is even capable of releasing functional software anymore. A bit of an exaggeration, but he had a point.

No, he needs to be sued for it if that’s actually what he said.

• Reply 38 of 40
    alexclst wrote: »

The storage shown in iCloud Drive in Finder is the remaining space on the Mac's boot drive. As far as I can tell there is no way to see remaining iCloud storage space from the Finder. Consider this a bug if you will, but "iCloud Drive" shows up under Favorites and not Devices, so I think this is how Apple wants the remaining space to show up.

I don't believe that. I may be wrong but I think once Yosemite is officially out there the iCloud Drive will show correctly the 500 GIGs. But we'll see soon hopefully.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    asdasd wrote: »
    Surely that icloud drive problem is noteworthy. You don't know how much storage you actually have. You can forgive a late beta for that but not a GM going to millions.

I do know exactly what I have. I tried to upload the 350 GIG Aperture Vault and was told I only had the amount shown in the Finder. The paid for 500 GIGs is not available to me via the Finder yet. I am sure it will be once Apple throw the switch but I am sad I can't test it now with the dev version.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I meant to say he 's either completely ignorant about software development or he's a complete tosser. Then I googled him.

Yeap, that settles it, he's a complete tosser. 

In terms of Yosemite I can say that after turning the translucency off, which I found distracting as a matter of personal preference, though I really enjoy it for iOS, that I 've started to appreciate Ive's light touch in the details, eg. how Today view slides in instead of the misguided desktop sliding out for notifications in Mavericks. And all sorts of little details, the clarity of the sidebar icons, the great idea that is putting the maximise button on the green light, spotlight in the centre with big clear font, the work he's done for safari, the sidebar colour gradations, many little thing. How the dock is flatter but not flat. App Icons on iCloud drive folders, which btw are growing more and more on me everyday, their colour that is. 

What I don't understand is why some apps stay open with a dot after the last window is shut down, the normal OS X way, and how others don't, for example calendar vs. notes, if I remember correctly.

In other rumours, I know how everyone's saying that the new mini might be, well, a mini mac pro, but I have this hunch that we might see the re-emergence of a mac cube triumphant, with glass, albeit still not fanless. I 've got this stuck in my head these last few days.