Ireland to close 'Double Irish' tax loophole in 2015, firms currently using tactic get grace period

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    I have no problem with Apple having the most clever tax strategy that they can figure out. And I'm not a shareholder. We are all 'corporations' in a sense. If two bakeries side by side sell the same loaf of bread, and one store is a dollar less, that's where I'm going to buy my bread.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Ireland looks good in the media now but in 2020 when companies start fleeing they will come under fire.
  • Reply 23 of 64

Or maybe Apple can just pay the tax it owes instead of being greedy? 

• Reply 24 of 64
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Apple is paying the tax it owes.   Funny how keeping money you've earned is called "greedy", but your desire to steal from people to benefit yourself isn't considered greedy. 

Orwell was right!

• Reply 25 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Apple is paying the tax it owes.   Funny how keeping money you've earned is called "greedy", but your desire to steal from people to benefit yourself isn't considered greedy. 

Orwell was right!

I pay taxes in Australia, so why shouldn't Apple?? Apple doesn't pay its full taxes here as it indulges in practices such as shifting funds around. 

Why do I want to steal from others? I have never wanted to steal from others :P 

• Reply 26 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    oldmacs wrote: »

I pay taxes in Australia, so why shouldn't Apple?? Apple doesn't pay its full taxes here as it indulges in practices such as shifting funds around. 

Why do I want to steal from others? I have never wanted to steal from others :P 

Every country in the world thinks apple owes them money. There are two players here: Ireland and the US
  • Reply 27 of 64
    jessi wrote: »
    Apple is paying the tax it owes.  

Questionable, since a complex network of international companies have to be created in order to explicitly exploit the "double irish tax loophole".
  • Reply 28 of 64
    chiachia Posts: 714member

I pay taxes in Australia...

Why do I want to steal from others? I have never wanted to steal from others

As an Australian, unless you're an Aborigine, aren't you benefiting from a country stolen from its original inhabitants?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

As an Australian, unless you're an Aborigine, aren't you benefiting from a country stolen from its original inhabitants?

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.  Did I choose to be born here? No I did not.  If you're British (by your logic anyway) you're living in the country at actually did the stealing. I fully support Aboriginal reconciliation, land rights and other rights movements. You have no clue what you're talking about. I do not support stealing at all. 

• Reply 30 of 64

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.  Did I choose to be born here? No I did not.  If you're British (by your logic anyway) you're living in the country at actually did the stealing. I fully support Aboriginal reconciliation, land rights and other rights movements. You have no clue what you're talking about. I do not support stealing at all. 

You didn't choose to be born there but you still benefit from the land grab.

If you have evidence of how Apple have broken Australia's tax laws and not paid what they were legally due then submit it to the authorities.

Presumably Apple have complied with all Australian tax legislation and paid what they were due to pay.

Today you want more from a corporation even though it's complied with legislation merely because they have a lot of money.

In the past European settlers wanted land from the Aborigines as Australia is a big place and the Aborigines had lots of land.

Just who is the greedy one and what has changed?
  • Reply 31 of 64

A Land grab done by your country!!! 

Apple is within the law, but that doesn't make it morally right to use loopholes so it avoids tax here.  I could avoid paying full tax as well, as it wouldn't be morally right as I am privileged to live in this country and get benefits such as healthcare and education + whatever. Apple on the other hand had the privilege of operate here and sell its products, yet uses loopholes to avoid paying tax. Not fair to Australians.

You've still got no bloody clue as to what you are talking about. The shocking things that your country did 200 years ago, has nothing to do with Apple not paying tax. Sadly I can't change what happened to the Aboriginal people of Australia and as before I do my best to support reconciliation. 

• Reply 32 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Basing your economic strategy solely on being the country with the lowest business taxes is a losing strategy. It's a race to the bottom that will only attract parasitic companies.

Having said that, Ireland has more going for it than just a low tax rate. It has an abundance of well-educated native English speakers.

• Reply 33 of 64

...which Australia chose to perpetuate after its independence from the British:

http://www.racismnoway.com.au/about-racism/timeline/index-1900s.html?

• 1900: - Federation of Australia is established

• 1901: - The Constitution denies citizenship, franchise and the right to military duty to Aboriginal People

Apple is within the law, but that doesn't make it morally right to use loopholes so it avoids tax here.  I could avoid paying full tax as well, as it wouldn't be morally right as I am privileged to live in this country and get benefits such as healthcare and education + whatever. Apple on the other hand had the privilege of operate here and sell its products, yet uses loopholes to avoid paying tax. Not fair to Australians.

You've still got no bloody clue as to what you are talking about. The shocking things that your country did 200 years ago, has nothing to do with Apple not paying tax. Sadly I can't change what happened to the Aboriginal people of Australia and as before I do my best to support reconciliation. 

If Australia is similar to the USA and the UK then it's a company's duty to legally maximise its profit for its shareholders and stakeholders.

Apple has merely done what all companies intend to do, make as much money as it can.

The lesson for all countries is that we need better, more informed, legislators to draft better regulations so that all companies pay what is a fair share.

This will be far more constructive for all citizens of the USA, Australia, UK etc instead of politicians/legislators spending time hurling personal insults at each other.

Going further still all countries are recognising some need for tax co-operation on a global level.

All being said, there's no one size fits all solution, so perhaps people should recognise there will always be some discrepancies between countries which multinationals have a potential to exploit.

• Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

I have no problem with Apple having the most clever tax strategy that they can figure out.

I agree, that's Apple's management's responsibility to Apple's owners. The issue is with the tax system that is causing (in some situations) big corporations in some territories to pay disproportionately little tax. So changing the tax rules is the correct response.

Six years, on the other hand, is just taking the mickey.

• Reply 35 of 64
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    Quote:

Your logic seems to imply that Apple should be so grateful to be able to make great products, that it should give away all its profits in taxes to the countries that let it sell to their citizens.

I pay an accountant to arrange it so that I legally pay the least amount of taxes possible.  Big government pisses away trillions of dollars per year to cut checks to lazy bums that are on disability for vague back pain, but drive a Lexus on taxpayer dollars.  I follow the law, but I'm not in the business of donating money just so the government can "redistribute the wealth" in order to buy votes, taking away what I earn after working my ass off to get a professional degree, and giving it to the lazy parasites of this society with no education except having learned how to deal drugs.

• Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

• 1901: - The Constitution denies citizenship, franchise and the right to military duty to Aboriginal People

If Australia is similar to the USA and the UK then it's a company's duty to legally maximise its profit for its shareholders and stakeholders.

Apple has merely done what all companies intend to do, make as much money as it can.

The lesson for all countries is that we need better, more informed, legislators to draft better regulations so that all companies pay what is a fair share.

This will be far more constructive for all citizens of the USA, Australia, UK etc instead of politicians/legislators spending time hurling personal insults at each other.

Going further still all countries are recognising some need for tax co-operation on a global level.

All being said, there's no one size fits all solution, so perhaps people should recognise there will always be some discrepancies between countries which multinationals have a potential to exploit.

Quote:

Sigh... The Aboriginal Matter is something I still don't see you being able to comment on. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Your logic seems to imply that Apple should be so grateful to be able to make great products, that it should give away all its profits in taxes to the countries that let it sell to their citizens.

I pay an accountant to arrange it so that I legally pay the least amount of taxes possible.  Big government pisses away trillions of dollars per year to cut checks to lazy bums that are on disability for vague back pain, but drive a Lexus on taxpayer dollars.  I follow the law, but I'm not in the business of donating money just so the government can "redistribute the wealth" in order to buy votes, taking away what I earn after working my ass off to get a professional degree, and giving it to the lazy parasites of this society with no education except having learned how to deal drugs.

My logic is that it should just follow the law here and pay the taxes it really should be paying instead of shovelling them off to Ireland. I pay my tax so that people who are disadvantaged can get a proper education, healthcare etc. If Apple wants to take advantage of the fact that Australians want to buy Apple products, it should pay its tax properly as the Government has allowed it to conduct its business here. Everyone has got to put in. Small businesses here pay a company tax rate so Apple should as well. 

• Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sigh... The Aboriginal Matter is something I still don't see you being able to comment on. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

My logic is that it should just follow the law here and pay the taxes it really should be paying instead of shovelling them off to Ireland. I pay my tax so that people who are disadvantaged can get a proper education, healthcare etc. If Apple wants to take advantage of the fact that Australians want to buy Apple products, it should pay its tax properly as the Government has allowed it to conduct its business here. Everyone has got to put in. Small businesses here pay a company tax rate so Apple should as well. 

But Apple does follow the law, as far as I can tell.  I've seen no reports to the contrary.  I understand your desire for Apple to bolster your economy, but you seem to be saying Apple is not following the law.  How is that so?

• Reply 38 of 64

They are following the law but its the dodgiest way of doing it. They paid $193 Million tax here since 2002... on a profit of 27 B made here. If they're not going to pay proper company tax instead of playing the dirty game, they don't deserve to operate here. Why should small business bear the weight. They're making enough money to pay some tax. Australian's are often overcharged for their products anyway. 

• Reply 39 of 64
    slurpy wrote: »
    Pazuzu, you have a pretty disturbing and sick fetish with Bono. You're still traumatized over a free album? Seek some help, seriously. There must be some other hobby you can find beyond trolling. 
    Let's be clear, it was a mostly an unwanted spam album that assumed everyone would like or love it.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

They are following the law but its the dodgiest way of doing it. They paid $193 Million tax here since 2002... on a profit of 27 B made here. If they're not going to pay proper company tax instead of playing the dirty game, they don't deserve to operate here. Why should small business bear the weight. They're making enough money to pay some tax. Australian's are often overcharged for their products anyway. 

Have you considered not purchasing Apple products since, by doing so, you are apparently helping to perpetuate harm to your own economy?  If Apple is playing such dirty game, why support them?  Perhaps you should consider writing your government leaders and ask them to ban Apple from your country.