Rumor: Apple moving to new '3D-like' etched logo, starting with next-gen iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
As Apple's industrial design language continues to evolve, a new rumor claims the company will change the way it affixes the famous logo that adorns its products, moving to a new process that produces a "3D-like" mark.

The updated logo is said to "shine at the edges," which would be a departure from the current flat aesthetic employed throughout the product line. According to DigiTimes, it will be seen first on a new 27-inch iMac with Retina display that Apple is expected to debut at its event on Thursday.

The rumor should be taken with a grain of salt, however, as DigiTimes has a poor track record with respect to Apple rumors. But the claims will be put to the test quickly on Thursday, when Apple's presentation kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage.

Since Apple moved to its current design language -- heavily featuring metal, rather than plastic -- the company has added logos to many of its desktop products by cutting the logo's shape out of the rear casing, then adding a plastic insert. That is alleged to disappear in favor of a new "printed" style that uses "laser cutting and unique embedded technologies."

Apple's mobile devices have traditionally been an exception, featuring a logo that is integrated with their rear casing. The new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, however, moved to a new cutout style that allowed for the addition of a flush-mounted stainless steel logo to the otherwise aluminum case.

The publication also reported on Wednesday that production of Apple's 12-inch MacBook Air with Retina display is expected to begin in November and said its sources expect it to be unveiled on Thursday. That seems unlikely, however, as the well-connected John Paczkowski of Re/code reported earlier this week that Apple will not in fact unveil a new Retina MacBook Air at the event.

In addition, noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities reported this week that the supposedly fan-less device will be delayed until next year as a result of supply issues with Intel's Broadwell processors. He believes that production of the new Retina MacBook Air won't begin until 2015.

Finally, in a separate report, DigiTimes said on Wednesday that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. is expected to build the new "A8X" processors rumored to be featured in the next-generation iPad Air. If true, this would come as no surprise, as TSMC is already building 20-nanometer A8 chips for Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    DigiTimes = ignore
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

DigiTimes = ignore

Even a dead clock is right twice a day. It will be interesting to see what's coming out tomorrow. Processor upgrades are old news, Retina screens are becoming routine these days.

I also wonder if the magnetic remote hanger (like on the plastic iMac G5) is coming back.

• Reply 3 of 60
    zoffdino wrote: »
    Even a dead clock is right twice a day. It will be interesting to see what's coming out tomorrow. Processor upgrades are old news, Retina screens are becoming routine these days.

I also wonder if the magnetic remote hanger (like on the plastic iMac G5) is coming back.

DigiTimes is wrong more than twice a day.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Personal computer/mobile technology is leveling out in my opinion. Most computers, smartphones, etc. are already powerful enough to accomplish most anything the user wants to do. Faster processors, more memory, the usual incremental upgrades are no longer the catalyst for sales. So how does a manufacturer differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack? Software and industrial design, two things Apple completely dominates the market with. I see nothing but positives and upsides to Apple’s future.

• Reply 5 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

DigiTimes is wrong more than twice a day.

That is true.

People say that a broken clock is correct twice a day, and that may be true.

But it also means that a broken clock (like Digitimes) is incorrect 22 out of 24 hours a day. Hardly an impressive or reliable track record.

• Reply 6 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I want the logo to glow.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    If this were true, not denying it, why wouldn't they start this with the iPhones? If this is a Mac only then- then I would suspect the rainbow colors to come back.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This would have never happen if Steve Jobs was alive

• Reply 9 of 60

Can't innovate! – That's what I was waiting for! Get your credit cards ready!

• Reply 10 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to see an iMac without a chin. I don't expect it tomorrow but one can dream, right?

If we don't see a Mac mini refresh tomorrow does that mean Apple is giving up on the product?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If this were true, not denying it, why wouldn't they start this with the iPhones? If this is a Mac only then- then I would suspect the rainbow colors to come back.
    Rainbow colors to come back on what? A silver aluminum iMac with a colored logo? Not seeing it to be honest.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Even a dead clock is right twice a day. 

But DigiTimes isn't a dead clock.

They're like a running clock that's off by 5.34 hours, thus they never have the right time.

• Reply 13 of 60

Since we haven't see a part leak, I'd guess there isn't much to this. Either it doesn't look like anything noteworthy, or it's a new design that's not yet in production where it could leak. A new iMac being announced and not in production yet would be bad news for the holiday quarter and potentially a repeat of the 2012 iMac supply problem.

• Reply 14 of 60
    rogifan wrote: »
    If we don't see a Mac mini refresh tomorrow does that mean Apple is giving up on the product?

I don't think so, they have their way of surprising us. I don't think anyone saw the4th gen iPad coming. Nah, Apple is more like this:

• Reply 15 of 60
    I wish the apple logo would be the sleep light and pulse so we can tell when the machine is actually sleeping.
  • Reply 16 of 60

Gil Amelio would never have allowed this. 

• Reply 17 of 60
    Touch ID behind, when you need a password, login...
  • Reply 18 of 60
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Personal computer/mobile technology is leveling out in my opinion. Most computers, smartphones, etc. are already powerful enough to accomplish most anything the user wants to do. Faster processors, more memory, the usual incremental upgrades are no longer the catalyst for sales. So how does a manufacturer differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack? Software and industrial design, two things Apple completely dominates the market with. I see nothing but positives and upsides to Apple’s future.

An implementation of touch ID, for example replacing all hassle with passwords. A real solution to the idea of a docking station / iPad / laptop hybrid. Getting rid of cables. On the software side there is also way to go. A macos device is still something I cannot out I front of a 5 or 75 years old person and expect them to get it wothong short time. Ios OTOH can do this trick. Looking up photos, music quick like using Spotlight (I rman without entering file name / artist etc). The whole Siri business. Or how about when I answer a FaceTime call I can seemlessy switch over to my Mac?

I think there are still many things in terms of evolution and revolution that await us.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to see an iMac without a chin. I don't expect it tomorrow but one can dream, right?

I don't understand this "chin obsession."  What difference does it make?  Are you inconvenienced by the fact that the bottom of the screen can't be at desk level?  Are you distracted by the slab of neutral colored aluminum below the screen?  You must have some basis for this complaint, but I can't imagine what it is.

• Reply 20 of 60
    Safari will seem etch-ier !