HBO to begin offering standalone streaming subscriptions in 2015 - report

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Aren't the current episodes available on iTunes? However with the popularity of the Walking Dead, I do believe AMC would do quite well with a model similar to HBO's. Btw Hell on Wheels is also a really good show.

     

    Yes, for a fee. I think you can do it by episode or pay for the season pass. This is my first time buying a season pass on iTunes and, a few hours after the show airing, it was available in iTunes. Otherwise, Netflix won't have it until next October.

     

    I'll have to check it out. I'm not up-to-date at all on shows at all. Everyone keeps telling me about Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, and, now, your suggestion... none of which I've seen.

  • Reply 22 of 63
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    I'm not sure about football (although at least here, most game are covered by basic cable), but doesn't basketball have its own channel with the NBA league pass? And I believe no cable is needed.

    Other sports im not sure about

    Ya- but all 4 Major US sports blackout local teams. So unless you live in a different part of the country, it's useless

    I love in Dallas, so even if I spent the $100-200 for NBA, NHL, and MLB passes, I can't watch the Mavericks, stars, or Rangers (thank god I couldn't watch them this last year ;))

    On another note- How bout them Cowboys?:D
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Until live sports streaming is not tied to a cable plan I'm still stuck. That's what is holding me back from cutting.
    And so it begins...
    Yeah can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to Apple's announcement tomorrow or just HBO getting ahead of the game.
    kpluck wrote: »
    While this is great news I would bet such a service from HBO will more like $20-25 a month because  they will still need to give a cut to the cable providers given their current contracts.

    And as more cable channels go with a similar strategy, you can bet the ISPs will revisit data caps as a means to recover lost revenue.

    -kpluck
    For sure. Just like AT&T/Verizon with cell phone plans the cable companies (of which said companies are also apart of) are not going to let us win out with any a la carte programming. Not unless there's enough blowback or concessions by someone.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    briancpa wrote: »
    Yes, for a fee. I think you can do it by episode or pay for the season pass. This is my first time buying a season pass on iTunes and, a few hours after the show airing, it was available in iTunes. Otherwise, Netflix won't have it until next October.

    I'll have to check it out. I'm not up-to-date at all on shows at all. Everyone keeps telling me about Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, and, now, your suggestion... none of which I've seen.

    Definitely watch GoT, and The Walking Dead; they're the shows that are raising the bar. SoA is good but I don't consider it must watch TV.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    I've had HBO GO for a while now, so this offering doesn't really interest me, but I know what's going to happen.

     

    People have been begging and pleading for HBO standalone for a long time now. I bet that when it finally comes out in 2015, then many of the same people will be whining about the price. <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" />I bet that it costs more than Netflix per month!

  • Reply 26 of 63
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Aren't the current episodes available on iTunes? However with the popularity of the Walking Dead, I do believe AMC would do quite well with a model similar to HBO's. Btw Hell on Wheels is also a really good show.

     

    You sir have exquisite tastes.  HoW is a fantastic show.   All my household really needs is 

     

    HGTV/Food network to keep the lady happy. 

    HBO 

    AMC 

    Sports

     

    That's it. 

  • Reply 27 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    andysol wrote: »
    On another note- How bout them Cowboys?:D

    A ????is what you're going to have when Romo throws 4 interceptions against Big Blue this Sunday. ;) In all seriousness that was an impressive win against Seattle.
  • Reply 28 of 63

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I've had HBO GO for a while now, so this offering doesn't really interest me, but I know what's going to happen.

     


     

    Well, it's of no interest to you because you're paying for it with cable. It should be of interest to you if you really only watch a few channels on cable, because you could potentially save a lot of money.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    People have been begging and pleading for HBO standalone for a long time now. I bet that when it finally comes out in 2015, then many of the same people will be whining about the price. <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" />I bet that it costs more than Netflix per month!


     

    I think people will be fine with it. This is what à la carte would look like for cable. Netflix is basic cable (though cheaper b/c of the 1.25xseason lag), HBO is premium.

     

    I think ESPN will be the next big one to fall in line. Then the cable companies will have to change their model, and those mf-ers are probably going to fight net neutrality harder before they give in, since we'll still be getting HBO over their wires, just not through their plans.

  • Reply 29 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hmurchison wrote: »
    You sir have exquisite tastes.  HoW is a fantastic show.   All my household really needs is 

    HGTV/Food network to keep the lady happy. 
    HBO 
    AMC 
    Sports

    That's it. 

    Thanks. My show watching time is severely limited, so I try to watch only the best. My list is similar to yours except I'd add Showtime. Btw have you watched Flip or Flop on HGTV? The wife is über hot ;).
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



    What does this mean exactly?
    Quote:

    "stand alone, over the top" service that would work with "current partners"



     

    The "over the top" is cloud speak for you connecting directly to the cloud service.  Stand alone and current partners probably means being able to buy HBO GO from Apple and streaming it to AppleTV. It may mean buy HBO GO from HBO directly and stream it to AppleTV that way. It just comes down to who you have to pay. Maybe the cable companies are going to start selling it stand alone. So you could perhaps buy it from TimeWarner without a cable package. I can see a model that supports the cable companies in this fashion would be less disruptive to the status quo and their current partner relationships.

     

    We will see.

  • Reply 30 of 63
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post





    I'm not sure about football (although at least here, most game are covered by basic cable), but doesn't basketball have its own channel with the NBA league pass? And I believe no cable is needed.



    Other sports im not sure about



    As others have mentioned, there are blackout rules that apply in certain situations.  But beyond that, I want MY announcers for baseball anyways.

     

    Beyond that, I watch other sports than baseball.  LPGA golf, for instance, is ONLY on The Golf Channel.  Tennis Grand Slam tourneys are mostly on ESPN2, and that's it.  Etc.

     

    Plus, I use repeats of shows on stuff like TNT and TBS as background noise a lot of the time.

     

    Plus, I flip around the news channels (why, who knows?)  a lot.

     

    Basically, yeah, I could get rid of cable and probably find a way to fill every niche.  But I don't want to have to work for it.  The amount of money I pay isn't worth the effort, frankly.  It's really that simple.

  • Reply 32 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

     

    Well, it's of no interest to you because you're paying for it with cable. It should be of interest to you if you really only watch a few channels on cable, because you could potentially save a lot of money.


     

    I'll be keeping my cable for a while.


     


    Some months ago, I noticed that my cable bill was getting higher and higher, so I called them and threatened to leave. They had a retention specialist call me back, and I got my bill lowered by around $70 per month!


     


    I don't watch that much TV, but I like having all available options when I do.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The "over the top" is cloud speak for you connecting directly to the cloud service.  Stand alone and current partners probably means being able to buy HBO GO from Apple and streaming it to AppleTV. It may mean buy HBO GO from HBO directly and stream it to AppleTV that way. It just comes down to who you have to pay. Maybe the cable companies are going to start selling it stand alone. So you could perhaps buy it from TimeWarner without a cable package. I can see a model that supports the cable companies in this fashion would be less disruptive to the status quo and their current partner relationships.

    We will see.

    I'm just hoping that they partner with Sony. I could really use HBO Go on my PS3.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    I'm just hoping that they partner with Sony. I could really use HBO Go on my PS3.

    Don't you have an Apple TV?

     

    HBO GO works fine on my Apple TV.

  • Reply 35 of 63
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post





    On another note- How bout them Cowboys?image

     

    Run game is great. I've seen Murray run before but he's like a new RB behind that OL.  Here in Seattle we've heard how good Tom Cable is yet I haven't seen a Seahawk OL that was particularly great at any one thing.  Lynch gets his yards because he's ridiculously hard to tackle but Wilson is still running for his life too much.  Cowboys look really good.  Glad they didn't give up on young HC 

     

    Back OT 

     

    HBO "blinking" could be HUGE for the future of media.   You can bet that stalwarts like ESPN are going to be watching closely.   For me it's not entirely about pricing.   It's about buying what I need and not feeling like I've had to accept crap because the show I want is neatly bundled with a bunch of crap channels. 

  • Reply 36 of 63
    aaronj wrote: »
    Well, happy for the people this will help.

    Personally, I need cable for sports and for some other stuff.  But certainly a lot of other people will be glad about this news.

    Agree, but with most things -- all it takes is one big player to do something that the other big players are not. Once others realize this is a success don't be surprised if others including ESPN, Showtime, etc decide to follow. If that happens Comcast and UVerse (etc.) will get angry and try to fight it, but too late. This is great news to me and most.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Don't you have an Apple TV?

    HBO GO works fine on my Apple TV.

    Not yet, currently I have a Roku (really great deal) on one TV, and a PS3 on another.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Thanks. My show watching time is severely limited, so I try to watch only the best. My list is similar to yours except I'd add Showtime. Btw have you watched Flip or Flop on HGTV? The wife is über hot image.

    Christina El Moussa is pretty easy on the eyes.   My lady would probably like this show if they are good about showing homes and what they've done design wise.  We are big fans of The Property Brothers and the original (and formulaic Love It or List it)  

  • Reply 39 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hmurchison wrote: »
     Glad they didn't give up on young HC 

    Jason Garrett wasn't the one throwing those late game killing interceptions. ;)
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

    I'll be keeping my cable for a while.


     


    Some months ago, I noticed that my cable bill was getting higher and higher, so I called them and threatened to leave. They had a retention specialist call me back, and I got my bill lowered by around $70 per month!


     


    I don't watch that much TV, but I like having all available options when I do.


     

    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have to call Time Warner every six months now to get my rates down. Still really expensive, but at least I'm over 200Mb/s now.

     

    Once HBO and a couple others go this route, I'll be comfortable dropping the TV service. I'll be looking at maybe $40/month for all my TV then, including two premium channels. I can have my kids pay for ESPN since I don't watch it and would be fine w/out.

Sign In or Register to comment.