Gazelle paying up to $355 for iPad Airs, $305 for iPad minis ahead of Apple's special event

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2014
Readers looking to sell their current iPad to help pay for one Apple's forthcoming 2015 iPads can begin locking in price quotes -- with an exclusive $20 bonus -- over at Gazelle ahead of Thursday's event to maximize the amount of cash they will receive.

Trade-in Price Guide

The industry-leading electronics buyback service and AppleInsider sponsor is currently paying up to $335 for WiFi iPad Airs, up to $355 for WiFi+ Cellular iPad Airs, up to $295 for WIFI iPad minis with Retina display, up $305 for WiFi+Cellular iPad minis with Retina display, up to $230 for iPad 4s, up to $150 for iPad 3s, and up to $120 for iPad 2s. However, AppleInsider readers who use this link (or any of the links in this article), will receive an additional $20 cash bonus on top of the payouts Gazelle usually pays on any working iPad trade-in valued at over $75. Additionally, the service is still paying up to $275 for old iPhones, though these payouts have been falling around $10 per week, as is expected to be the case with iPad payouts following the introduction of new iPads.

Current iPad Cash Payouts

Gazelle, which says iPad Air and iPad mini trade-in requests fueled a 400% increase in price locks immediately after Apple issued invitations for Thursdays iPad event, has gone to great lengths to make the trade-in process as painless as possible for consumers.

How it Works

To begin, you first lock in your trade-in price by visiting Gazelle's website, where you will be asked to assess the physical and operational condition of your device by rating it in one of three tiers --?broken, good, or flawless. The ratings include factors like whether the device's screen is cracked or if it has ever been damaged by liquids. You can see a list of current maximum payouts for iPads in the table below or in our Trade-in Payout Guide.

Gazelle box

A few days after locking in your price quote, a pre-paid shipping box will show up on your doorstep. Gazelle gives a generous 30 day grace period from the time you lock in your trade in offer to the time you need to pack the device -- and only the device -- securely in the box and drop it in the mail. Alternatively, you can use your own shipping box and simply print and affix a pre-paid shipping label from Gazelle's website.

Gazelle box

Unlike some of its competitors, Gazelle handles all trade-in inspections itself, doesn't nitpick over the trade-in value of devices that arrive in good working order, and will even completely wipe your device of data before passing it along to its new owner.

Once Gazelle receives your old handset or tablet, the company will issue a check within 10 business days as long as the device's condition matches your online assessment. Alternatively, you can choose to be paid more quickly via PayPal, receive an 5 percent bonus by accepting payment in the form of an Amazon Gift Card, or donate the proceeds entirely to charity.

You can read more about how the service works, or check out a list of the company's maximum current iPad and iPhone trade-in prices in our Trade-In Payout Guide.

Current iPhone Cash Payouts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    So my ipad mini rentia with 32gb & Verizon LTE cost 629 brand new and Gazelle wants to give me 225 for it? no thank you!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Wow.....these deals are horrible. $250 for a flawless iPad Air 16gb wifi? I could put it on CL or eBay as sell it for $350 easily. These trade in sites are the biggest rip offs ever. Do yourself a favor and don't be lazy. Sell yourself and make another $100-$150 compared to their "best" offer.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    A little public service announcement... You can get over twice as much money on eBay than what Gazelle will pay.

Example:

Gazelle offering for "flawless" iPhone 4S 64GB (Unlocked) $115

I just sold one on eBay for $270.
    The cheapest recent sale on eBay for the same model was for $175 with scratches and a broken power button.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Gazelle is a ripoff. They don't offer shit for values. This article isn't even worth the time it took to write.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    To AppleInsider's credit, they've properly disclosed the advertiser relation in the body of the story. Thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 13

Additional PSA: You don't have to sell your iPad to Gazelle.

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SupaDav03 View Post

Wow.....these deals are horrible. $250 for a flawless iPad Air 16gb wifi? I could put it on CL or eBay as sell it for $350 easily. These trade in sites are the biggest rip offs ever. Do yourself a favor and don't be lazy. Sell yourself and make another $100-$150 compared to their "best" offer.

eBay/Paypal charges around 13% cumulative for sellers.  So that $350 iPad will get you about $304, and the possibility of a fraudulent or pain-in-the-a$$ buyer.  

I, for one, will take the guarantee of no hassle over that.    Actually, I would just sell it to a friend for a lower price, but that's just me :)

• Reply 8 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

People can do a lot better than Gazelle, which likely paid for this advertisement. Just for example, Amazon trade-ins are easy and will bring up to $433 (in credit).

Shop around!

I personally have come to prefer Amazon over others because it's a painless interaction (knock on wood). I don't like having to argue on the phone about non-existent flaws claimed by a gruff representative for the buyer who wants to give me a terrible valuation after promising a high one. Buyers thrive on people desperate to get the money or who are thin skinned. Just don't be desperate, stand your ground, and before you send off your device, make sure the buyer will return it at no cost if you decline their final offer.

• Reply 9 of 13
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

eBay/Paypal charges around 13% cumulative for sellers.  So that $350 iPad will get you about $304, and the possibility of a fraudulent or pain-in-the-a$$ buyer.  

I, for one, will take the guarantee of no hassle over that.    Actually, I would just sell it to a friend for a lower price, but that's just me :)

That's a misleading load of horsecrap, which resellers like Gazelle love to perpetuate.

First of all, Amazon's fees for the iPhone 4S I just sold were $23.34 out of a selling price of $269.95. After shipping, that left a net of $254.09, which is over 94% of the selling price, and a dramatic difference from the $115 Gazelle would have paid.

Second, Gazelle and other companies like them reserve the right to adjust their buying price if they deem the products condition doesn't meet their standard. In those cases it costs so much to have the product returned (assuming they even give you the option) that most people settle for the reduced selling price since they have no leverage. 

Third, by taking simple precautions like restricting sales to US customers and requiring Paypal payment you can minimize the incidence of a pain in the ass buyer on eBay. You can always screen for buyers with zero or negative feedback and since Paypal holds the funds in escrow both buyer and seller are protected. I have never had an issue selling anything on eBay. The few times I've bought something that didn't meet expectations I received a full refund from the seller. The people who have bad experiences with eBay are generally those who would do something foolish like try to buy a "genuine" Rolex from some guy in Somalia.

• Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Amazon trade in is pretty good as long as you shop at Amazon

iPhone 5S 32GB unlocked in good condition is $365

iPad Air 32GB Wifi in good condition is $315

Plus they will ship it to you for free if you don't like the price they are offering (downgrade condition)

Ebay is okay but you need to put up with a lot BS and fees.

You probably can get $50 more at Ebay but I don't think its worth it for all the hassle and risk.

Amazon is OK for some items, but for products as hot as iPhones why settle for a "store credit" when you can get more, in cash, on eBay? Amazon is ideal for slower moving items where the seller is willing to wait a while for the right buyer, rather than sell at a lower price in a time-limited auction.

• Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I don't like ebay because you need to deal with individuals.

Also it takes alot of working setting up an account, taking pictures, monitoring.  Then you have fees, shipping fees, hassle, ect.

I'm okay with getting $50 less selling my 5S on Amazon.

If I was really desperate for money I'd just sell it on Craigslist and met the dude in a Bank and sell if for cash

Yeah, Amazon is alright. One downside is that they limit you to six photos of your product and they downsize them to the point where the buyer can't see any details. I know it seems like a pain to take a few photos, but I know when I'm the buyer I will go out of my way to find sellers that have crisp and clear product photos so I know exactly what I'm getting. In return, I'm willing to pay a little more for a "like new" product. If your phone is scratched up, though, I can see where that would lose its appeal.

• Reply 12 of 13
    I have found that cellbeach dot com pays the most for ipads. We have sold them two and were really happy with the price and service.