Apple's own iBook reveals iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3, both with Touch ID

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2019
With less than 24 hours to go before Apple is set to present its latest products, preview images for the company's iOS 8.1 user guide in the iBookstore reveal the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, both featuring a Touch ID fingerprint sensing home button.

The devices aren't featured in the iBook download itself, but can be found within the screenshots for the digital book, entitled "iPad User Guide for iOS 8." The very first screenshot displayed on the download page plainly names and shows both an iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2, both featuring Touch ID fingerprint sensors.

The book was published by Apple itself back on Sept. 17, and does not appear to have yet been updated to iOS 8.1 as the screenshot depicts. It's unclear exactly when the screenshots were updated with the error spotted Wednesday.

Further information within the guide suggests the iPad Air 2 camera will gain a new burst mode for taking pictures with the rear iSight camera.

The hardware on the devices appears largely the same, with a Lightning connector and speakers on the bottom, and the screen sleep/wake button remaining on the upper right side.

Though the accidental leak is uncharacteristic for Apple, none of the details shown in the iBook screenshot are unexpected. Rumors have persisted for months claiming that Apple is set to showcase new iPad models featuring Touch ID for this fall's update.

Apple is also expected to unveil a new 27-inch iMac with a 5K-resolution Retina display at the event, which will be held at its corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif. The keynote is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will be there with full, live coverage of the proceedings.

The updated iOS 8.1 user manual also hints that Apple could announce the release of the mobile operating system update. iOS 8.1 is expected to enable the new Apple Pay feature for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111

Hmm... someone at Apple is gonna be fined $50M.

• Reply 2 of 111
    Apple need to fine themselves $50 million.... ;)

..pipped to the post..
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Damnit Apple PR, get it together.

Also,
    Damnit AI Grammar Police, get it together.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Almost certainly done on purpose to get into the news the day that Google announces a whole raft of shit.

Doesn't tell us anything we don't already know so I reckon it was meant to be leaked.

• Reply 5 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Well, I guess that we know for sure what the new iPads will be called now.

• Reply 6 of 111
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Finally, the iPads get Touch ID.  Now if they'd just get to user profiles...

• Reply 7 of 111
    I'm still waiting for tomorrow
  • Reply 8 of 111
    What might be the most revealing thing about this leak, assuming it's not a ploy, is what the leak does NOT show: a larger-screen iPad. So I guess we are not getting that. Unless Apple is being clever.
  • Reply 9 of 111

Well, the page is now "temporarily unavailable".  Someone woke up!

• Reply 10 of 111

Well, at least the rumors will stop.

• Reply 11 of 111

No, you, sir, are ridiculous.  An iPad can be a personal device, like a personal laptop, or a family device... like a family laptop.

Not everyone feels every child in a home needs their own personal iPad... but a personal profile would sure be nice. 

Sorry we don't all want to shell out $500 per family member because there's no profiles. 

Hoping you're a troll, otherwise, take your head out of your rear end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Please just buy another iPad.

iPad/iPhone are personal devices.

What next?  Profiles for phones also?  Ridiculous.  Stop thinking like a WindowsOffice

• Reply 12 of 111
    Quote:

Exactly.

Just giving Google a gut punch.

This also tells me Apple has something else besides the ipad/imac tomorrow.

Something big.  Very big.  Like 50-70 inches big.

Holy s**t, Gene Munster is in the forum!

• Reply 13 of 111
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Weird naming. Makes the Mini sound "ahead of" the Air.

Eventually it has to become like the Mac line: the iPad Mini is just the "iPad Mini". (With additional wording--separate from the actual name--where needed to separate old from new.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yes, please!

The best device is the one you have with you... and if, at a given moment, that's your husband's, sister's, or best friend's device? I'm sure they'd like to give you a separate profile and not have to worry about "their stuff." Even on a phone.

I'd much rather have "a few iPads lying around" in the home (some older, some newer) and have anyone be able to pick up any device and have it be theirs. Maybe that's a power-user feature (which they set up to benefit non-power users too) and maybe it's not a priority, but I hope it comes along!

Also split multitasking like the Surface. A power user thing that may not matter to most, but I'd want it.

• Reply 14 of 111
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Its a plot. Its a distraction. We're all looking the other way!

• Reply 15 of 111
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    starbot wrote: »

User profiles wouldn't work. You have to control what music, what books, what apps, what emails, what keychain items etc would be available per profile.

If you want a 'family ipad' then remove email accounts, disable keychain, don't have offensive music or other content on it and there you go.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Worst kept secret ever.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Please just buy another iPad.

iPad/iPhone are personal devices.

What next?  Profiles for phones also?  Ridiculous.  Stop thinking like a WindowsOffice

If you can afford to spend thou$sand$ on individual iPads for you, spouse, and several kids, then congrats, you're doing well.  Not everyone is so lucky - as is often the case on this site, one person's experience does not provide the baseline for an entire industry.

And it's non-sensical to include the meaningless retort about Windows Office, as though the concept of a user profile was unique to and invented by Microsoft.

• Reply 18 of 111

So, does this mean no iPad Pro?  :(

• Reply 19 of 111
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Exactly.

Just giving Google a gut punch.

This also tells me Apple has something else besides the ipad/imac tomorrow.

Something big.  Very big.  Like 50-70 inches big.

Well, if it's a 50-70 inch screen, it will probably not be an Apple-branded television set.

It would probably be a super-giant Apple Cinema Display.  And even that is unlikely IMHO.

Very little demand for 50-70 inch computer monitors.

And the television space is already a full-speed race-to-the-bottom market.

Which is exactly the kind of market Apple avoids completely.

If Apple does announce something in the TV space tomorrow, it'll probably be a new Apple TV box.

Smaller, faster, maybe with 4K, maybe with a vastly increased iTunes library for purchasing / renting.

• Reply 20 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Almost certainly done on purpose to get into the news the day that Google announces a whole raft of shit.

Doesn't tell us anything we don't already know so I reckon it was meant to be leaked.

And plausible deniability

"Wait, What... we didn't MEAN to pre-announce over the top of your announcement"