Rumor: Apple moving to new '3D-like' etched logo, starting with next-gen iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60

I hope the rainbow returns.

• Reply 22 of 60
    AppleInsider should sell a keyboard macro in the Mac App Store for Option-N that inserts "noted analyst Ming-chi Kuo" at the cursor.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

DigiTimes is wrong more than twice a day.

err. that's the essence of the broke clock metaphor.  But it is Right 2 times a day (and some 86,398 seconds of the day, it's wrong)

• Reply 24 of 60
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I don't understand this "chin obsession."  What difference does it make?  Are you inconvenienced by the fact that the bottom of the screen can't be at desk level?  Are you distracted by the slab of neutral colored aluminum below the screen?  You must have some basis for this complaint, but I can't imagine what it is.

Steve Jobs already addressed this common refrain from the pulp eating masses. Some people have a higher aesthetic than others. As Steve liked to point out, a gifted craftsman would make the back of a drawer just as beautiful as the front. When asked why, since it was in the back where no one would see it, he simply replied, "I know it's there."

I don't think anyone is swallowing pills due to the chin on the iMac but it would be gorgeous if all you could see was a retina screen. Nothing wrong with moving forward and pushing engineering in the name of aesthetics.

• Reply 25 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I don't think anyone is swallowing pills due to the chin on the iMac but it would be gorgeous if all you could see was a retina screen. Nothing wrong with moving forward and pushing engineering in the name of aesthetics.

While I agree that it would look extremely slick, I would worry about such a design making it even slimmer, and consequently less able to accommodate true desktop components. However, as long as it would have a desktop processor, a real graphics card (or at least real graphics performance), and a 1TB SSD, I'd be happy.

• Reply 26 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Deleted double post.

• Reply 27 of 60
    It has been a long time since a change.

I recently saw a pic of a Quadra 700 that didnt have the rainbow Apple logo insert, it was just the indentation. Looked actually quite nice, very minimalistic.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    What a joke!

Nice to see Ming downgraded from "connected analyst" to "noted analyst".

Didn't that moron say the 6 Plus would be delayed until next year, too? A week before the announcement?

These guys don't know jack squat. It could come out this week, next year, or never. That's the extent of that moron's "knowledge"
  • Reply 29 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Those $50M fines for leaking must be rolling in! :D
  • Reply 30 of 60
    zoffdino wrote: »
    Even a dead clock is right twice a day. It will be interesting to see what's coming out tomorrow. Processor upgrades are old news, Retina screens are becoming routine these days.

I also wonder if the magnetic remote hanger (like on the plastic iMac G5) is coming back.

Your use that that old line made me smile, I remember when I was about three my grandfather giving me a broken pocket watch to play with. He set it to 4 o'clock and said , "There now you will know when it's tea time " Years later I got the joke!
  • Reply 31 of 60
    bobborries wrote: »
    PrideApple.gif
    I hope the rainbow returns.

far out man ... :D
  • Reply 32 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Personal computer/mobile technology is leveling out in my opinion. Most computers, smartphones, etc. are already powerful enough to accomplish most anything the user wants to do. Faster processors, more memory, the usual incremental upgrades are no longer the catalyst for sales. So how does a manufacturer differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack? Software and industrial design, two things Apple completely dominates the market with. I see nothing but positives and upsides to Apple’s future.

I have to agree.

There is not kill app driving a change, I tend to hang on to my macs until I can not bare it anymore, The last one was 7 yrs old before I replace it two years ago with the 27' imac and I see no reason to replace it until a Killer app brings it to its knees or it just dies, but all the macs I owned since 1984 never died, they were just retired or handed down or off to someone else to use.

At this point Apple is just chasing more of the halo affect of the ipod/iphone crowd moving away from PCs at home.

Unless they put in the same ApplePay Security Feature which allows you to use Apple pay at home on the web. But it will be a few years before they will be wide spreed on websites.

• Reply 33 of 60
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    <h1 id="user_firstHeading" style="background-image:none;border-bottom-color:rgb(170,170,170);border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:1px;color:#000000;margin-bottom:.25em;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;"> </h1>

Gil Amelio would never have allowed this. 

Neither would Michael "DIESEL" Spindler!!!
    (Or maybe he would, but he would surely have a good, hysterical sob under his desk* over it later...)

*Yes, this guy was known for hiding under his desk to cry, when he got too stressed. No doubt that Jobs was a great CEO, but in all fairness he wasn't exactly standing on the shoulders of giants in terms of his predecessors...
  • Reply 34 of 60
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Steve Jobs already addressed this common refrain from the pulp eating masses. Some people have a higher aesthetic than others. As Steve liked to point out, a gifted craftsman would make the back of a drawer just as beautiful as the front. When asked why, since it was in the back where no one would see it, he simply replied, "I know it's there."

Ok, but the designers who incorporated the "chin" share that view, and they chose to include the chin.  I bet they had a reason (or 10).  For example, if it weren't there, you wouldn't "just see a retina screen" you would see more of the wires and the stand that are hidden by the chin today.  Obviously Apple could make the iMac thicker and get rid of the chin, but aethetically it would be a step in the wrong direction (at least in the opinion of the Apple designers).  Now if it could levitate and be powered wirelessly...

• Reply 35 of 60
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What a joke!

Nice to see Ming downgraded from "connected analyst" to "noted analyst".

Didn't that moron say the 6 Plus would be delayed until next year, too? A week before the announcement?

These guys don't know jack squat. It could come out this week, next year, or never. That's the extent of that moron's "knowledge"

...said someone who spends their time on a site hungry for rumors which can only be fed by outsiders depending on sources of necessarily varying reliability....

If these people were right 100% of the time there'd be no need for AppleInsider.... ...and if Apple was that easy to read and predict, it'd be a less fascinating enterprise... ...altho parts and other supplier leaks have compromised their once near total control of the pipeline info flo....

...and judged by major league standards, where hitting a ball 3 out of 10 times and stealing a few bases can make you an all star, people like Ming are likely above-average "rumor playahs"...

...but since how above (or not above) average he is isn't exactly clear...

....it's past time Apple Insider or someone develops metrics for tracking the averages of various prognosticators....  ....defining hits, errors, and also analogically things like doubles, triples, and HR's based on the importance and size of the predictions....

Rookies of the year, etc., etc....  :)

• Reply 36 of 60
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    Uh-oh...

The old logos have the advantage of working as an excellent antenna window.

The new ones sound expensive and complicated to produce. And kinda garish, though I'm prepared to be positively surprised.

At least it's only Digitimes who is reporting this. I'll take comfort in that, as that means it has a low likelihood of coming true...
  • Reply 37 of 60
    bigpics wrote: »
    ...said someone who spends their time on a site hungry for rumors which can only be fed by outsiders depending on sources of necessarily varying reliability....

If these people were right 100% of the time there'd be no need for AppleInsider.... ...and if Apple was that easy to read and predict, it'd be a less fascinating enterprise... ...altho parts and other supplier leaks have compromised their once near total control of the pipeline info flo....

...and judged by major league standards, where hitting a ball 3 out of 10 times and stealing a few bases can make you an all star, people like Ming are likely above-average "rumor playahs"...

...but since how above (or not above) average he is isn't exactly clear...

....it's past time Apple Insider or someone develops metrics for tracking the averages of various prognosticators....  ....defining hits, errors, and also analogically things like doubles, triples, and HR's based on the importance and size of the predictions....

Rookies of the year, etc., etc....  :)

Google: Phillip Elmer DeWitt
  • Reply 38 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bugsnw wrote: »

Exactly. We've had this chin since the G5 iMac. Would be nice to see it go so the front of the device is all display. Of course that probably won't happen because then where do the speakers go, but a girl can dream, right?
  • Reply 39 of 60

Really? Obsessing over the logo?

• Reply 40 of 60
    Interesting.

I guess their first departure from the flat aesthetic was with the bendy iPhone 6 Plus.

This looks like a rather more thought-out implementation.