Google announces Nexus 6 phablet, Nexus 9 tablet, & Apple TV-like Nexus Player

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think with Android Lollipop it's 64bit, but could be mistaken.

That would be one of those features the OEM's will offer (ie Moto X Play / Droid Turbo) when their own versions of the Nexus 6 hardware platform ships. Very soon too. image

The CPU is an off the shelf 32bit version, the OS is irrelevant.  Just saying, which Apple has historically been attacked for being "behind" on these types of specs, yet now they're leagues ahead in the CPU dept. 

Oh, and I was talking about the Nexus 6. You know, the device being discussed in this thread? How the fact that a completely different phone might have wireless charging in the future is at all relevant, I have no idea.

I own a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5. It the only Android phone line I would ever consider purchasing. Price was a HUGE factor for me when getting both, and I think for many others too. No way I would have considered the Nexus5 if it was priced anywhere near what this is priced at. I guess that experiment is over for them. Why they decided to go toe-to-toe price-wise with the iPhone and Samsung's flagships (backed by billion dollar campaigns) is beyond me. Price is the only thing that made the Nexus line so compelling. 

Every single thing that Google announced today validates Apple's business model and product philosophy- you know, the same model that Google fans and Apple haters have always bashed. But don't worry, they'll pivot and think of something new, since the LOL I CAN GET A NEXUS FOR HALF THE PRICE OF THE OVERPRICED IPHONE  wont work anymore. 

• Reply 42 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Let me apologize profusely for not reading Anandtech's lengthy review on the day it was published. Us grown ups have to go to work.

The Note 4 is bettered by the iPhone in most of the CPU tests, but the drastic margin you see is due to the optimization of Chrome vs Safari. The tests that weren't browser based showed a much smaller performance gap, although the iPhone still leads it.

Honestly though who cares about benchmarks at this point, most phones and tablets are extremely powerful, a few numbers above another doesn't necessarily improve anything, it's all about software. iOS is fast and from what I've seen of Android 5 from the last few months as I have it installed on my Nexus 5, it's also fast, Art is much, much faster than Dalvik.

• Reply 43 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The Note 4 has the same processor in most of the world, including the US. You might be confused since DED wrote his hit piece based on the Exynos version knowing that it always underperforms the Snapdragon.

• Which markets get the Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 with LTE Cat6 and Adreno 420?
    • Which markets get the Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57 with LTE Cat4 and ARM Mali T760?
    • Which markets get the Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A5& with LTE Cat4 and ARM Mali T760?

I found this but can't make heads or tails of it.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    If a nexus 6 bends and no one cares does it make a noise?

Only one a deaf man can see. :lol:
  • Reply 45 of 134
    The Nexus 6 you buy in 2015 will last only four years, so by 2019, they'll sent Deckard to retire any remaining stragglers. This means Google is Tyrell Corp.
  • Reply 46 of 134
    solipsismx wrote: »
    • Which markets get the Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 with LTE Cat6 and Adreno 420?
    • Which markets get the Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57 with LTE Cat4 and ARM Mali T760?
    • Which markets get the Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A5& with LTE Cat4 and ARM Mali T760?

I don't have a list other than America gets the Snapdragon and Korea gets the Exynos. I simply parroted the words I've seen written by tech bloggers who i assume are more knowledgeable.
  • Reply 47 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The CPU is an off the shelf 32bit version, the OS is irrelevant
    The Nexus 6 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, which is 64-bit isn't it? I know the Nexus 9 tablet also announced today is definitely 64-bit since it's running Nvidea's Tegra K1
  • Reply 48 of 134
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Just love seeing Google compete against its own partners. Yeah Samsung is going to be happy that not only are they competing against Apple on the high end they now have to compete against Google/Motorola. Most likely Apple will take 1/2 of Samsung high end business now it looks like Google is going to take 1/2 of what was left for Samsung to try and go after. We all know that those who are buying apple are not going to hold off or switch to google products.

• Reply 49 of 134
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

32 Gb max storage on their tablet?!

What a damn joke. Android Lollipop is obviously made for toddlers.

Is it true that the 32-bit Android Lollipop can not handle 64GB memory operations efficiently?

• Reply 50 of 134
    slurpy wrote: »
    LOL I CAN GET A NEXUS FOR HALF THE PRICE OF THE OVERPRICED IPHONE

Classic case of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'. ;)
  • Reply 51 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    BTW, while not yet "official" a leaked page from ATT shows the Nexus 6 32GB version available on-contract for just $49.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Nexus-6-posted-early-on-AT-T-for-just-49-on-contract_id61722

hmm...when I go to AT&T's website all I see are monthly prices. If this screen shot is true, that means the amount you pay off over time is $600? I think the biggest "subsidy" I've seen with iPhone is $450.
  • Reply 52 of 134
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All markets get the A8

• Reply 53 of 134
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Just love seeing Google compete against its own partners. Yeah Samsung is going to be happy that not only are they competing against Apple on the high end they now have to compete against Google/Motorola. Most likely Apple will take 1/2 of Samsung high end business now it looks like Google is going to take 1/2 of what was left for Samsung to try and go after. We all know that those who are buying apple are not going to hold off or switch to google products.

Nexus devices are never meant to compete with OEM's. You also mentioned Motorola which Lenovo has already committed to purchase.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I own a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5. It the only Android phone line I would ever consider purchasing. Price was a HUGE factor for me when getting both, and I think for many others too. No way I would have considered the Nexus5 if it was priced anywhere near what this is priced at. I guess that experiment is over for them. Why they decided to go toe-to-toe price-wise with the iPhone and Samsung's flagships (backed by billion dollar campaigns) is beyond me. Price is the only thing that made the Nexus line so compelling. 

Because it is made in USA by Moto? 

• Reply 55 of 134
    I have the new iPhone 6 and my manager has the plus. Amazing phones. To hell with Nexus!
  • Reply 56 of 134
    tzeshan wrote: »
    For the time-being perhaps. That Dallas factory is closing the end of this year.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Only one a deaf man can see. :lol:

Maybe that's the market segment they're after
    Untapped - not much potential but hey, why not ?
    :-)
  • Reply 58 of 134
    tzeshan wrote: »

This is the first Nexus made by Moto.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Yes, because it sucks

Wait, you think lollipops suck themselves? Are you a canine?

• Reply 60 of 134

Hmmm, I remember a time, not so long ago when no external storage expansion and having a non-replaceable battery was…a bad thing.