Apple's own iBook reveals iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3, both with Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

Somebody appears to loosing grip. GT Advanced, iOS 8.01, iCloud Drive not compatible with OS X Mavericks for Pages and Numbers (Yosemite update required but not yet available) and now pre-release details about iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 (OK this is only names and pictures and probably days before they are official). 

• Reply 22 of 111

Great find.

• Reply 23 of 111
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Hmmm...'doubling down'...

Apple keeps on using that phrase...

"I do not think it means what [they] think it means!"

Sorry to piggy-back my own post...but, a 441 page iPad User Guide for iOS 8.1 ??!!?!

Whatever happened to, "There is no step three"?

• Reply 24 of 111
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The new AppleTV will be 50-70 inches

Won't come out till Spring 2015. thus no leaks at this point.

That gives Apple enough time to finish the details and deals with content providers.

Its been a long time.....

I'd love to see a big-screen Apple branded TV set.  But I doubt we'll see one.  Ever.

Would love to, but hey, I'd also love to inherit $100 million.

In the meantime, maybe "long time" means "The Mac mini hasn't been updated in a long time."

Way overdue for a Mac mini refresh.  Can't wait!

/s

• Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

So, does this mean no iPad Pro?  :(

First you complain that it's too expensive to buy multiple iPads for everyone in your family, claiming poverty

then you want to get a high end iPad

Which  is it man?  3 16 and 32 GB iPad Mini's will likely cost the same as an iPad Pro with 128GB, and you can buy 3 over 3 years spreading the impact.

Apple is taking 'personal' computing seriously.   If you want a small timesharing system, there are alternatives.

• Reply 26 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

Somebody appears to loosing grip. GT Advanced, iOS 8.01, iCloud Drive not compatible with OS X Mavericks for Pages and Numbers (Yosemite update required but not yet available) and now pre-release details about iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 (OK this is only names and pictures and probably days before they are official). 

GT advanced is HW supply chain

iOS 8.01 is SW

iCloud Drive is a timing issue (welcome to integrated software) to cloud services

and now, it's a MarCom publishing 'pre-push'

Obviously Tim Cook is the only person in charge of all of these.... He's gotta go. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Really.   Really?

• Reply 27 of 111
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Personally, I will be surprised if Apple announces an "iPad Air 2" along side an "iPad mini 3" tomorrow.  As others have said, this sucks from a branding perspective, implying that the new Air is a generation behind the new mini.  I think this was a goof at multiple levels--out of date/not ready for prime time content mistakenly published.

• Reply 28 of 111
    still think 5k iMac is a bad idea.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

User profiles wouldn't work. You have to control what music, what books, what apps, what emails, what keychain items etc would be available per profile.

iOS is based on OS X. OS X has profiles. So don't tell us it "wouldn't work".

• Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

If you can afford to spend thou$sand$ on individual iPads for you, spouse, and several kids, then congrats, you're doing well.  Not everyone is so lucky - as is often the case on this site, one person's experience does not provide the baseline for an entire industry.

And it's non-sensical to include the meaningless retort about Windows Office, as though the concept of a user profile was unique to and invented by Microsoft.

If you're poor, then Apple/iDevices are not for you. Sorry but that is the harsh truth. I recommend Android which is much more affordable.

• Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

First you complain that it's too expensive to buy multiple iPads for everyone in your family, claiming poverty

then you want to get a high end iPad

Which  is it man?

It's called "empathy". Just because he can afford a high-end iPad doesn't mean he expects everyone can. Further, even the wealthy among us find occasions where we don't have our device with us (or its battery is dead, etc.) where we'd like to borrow someone else's device for a few minutes. Even if Apple just enables a "guest mode" where the guest session is sandboxed and doesn't save any prefs, that would be great.

• Reply 32 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you are comparing a desktop OS with a file system to iOS?

LOL.

You are thinking like a Microsoft Brain.  Ever heard of Windows8?

If only you knew what you were talking about. Jailbreak your iOS device and you'll find it has a full file system. Just because it's not presented to the user doesn't mean it's not there. As for your MS quip, I'm an OS X engineer. So try again.

• Reply 33 of 111
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    [B]NO? Revelatory![/B]
  • Reply 34 of 111
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

What's with all the hating on user profiles?  Obviously we don't want crappy, complicated user profiles, we want intuitive, seamless user profiles.  What's wrong with wanting that?  With more and more of what's "on" your iPad actually in the cloud it's increasingly reasonable to imagine handing my iPad to someone and having them log into their Apple account and have it work just like their iPad.  That's just plain cool.  Or as an intermediate step, accept that the apps on the iPad can't (today) be downloaded on-demand, but within that constraint having multiple accounts on an iPad is no less reasonable than having multiple accounts on an iMac.  Obviously Apple hasn't shown any inclination toward implementing this for iPads, but if they did, I'm sure they could do it in a very intuitive and useful way.  Personally I think it would a big selling point (for schools, for libraries, for companies, for families), but it might need to wait until the default iPad has much more storage than they do today.

• Reply 35 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Finally, the iPads get Touch ID.  Now if they'd just get to user profiles...

Will never happen. If you actually sit down and think about it for a few min, and how iOS and iDevices work, you will begin to realize all the complications and issues. 

- a 16GB device can barely hold 1 profile. You want several?

- What about backups? Every iOS Device is automatically and fully backed up to the cloud. Backing up and restoring multiple profiles will add so many more layers of confusion and complexity. 

- User management? Is one user an "admin", and others not? Privileges? Who gets to delete accounts? What about activation lock? Find my phone? Every single aspect of the OS, security, and privacy will need to be rethought. And for what? Making the OS much more complex because of a niche desire?

What I DO think Apple should add is a "guest" mode, where with one tap you can go to a "stock" iOS Device containing the built in apps, and where all data is deleted when you log out. Perfect when you need to lend your iPad etc to someone for a bit and dont want the risk of them perusing all your personal data. Especially since now, texts and phone calls will also be all available. 

• Reply 36 of 111
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    ktappe wrote: »

Look at the storage capacity differences. iOS has to work on as low as 8GB. Desktop OS <> Mobile OS
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

while that may be true, how iOS implements Apps is more like ~/Applications and ~/Library and ~/ApplicationSupport all rolled into one folder. vs /Applications /Library /Application Support AND ~/[*] equivs]

Changing to a multi-user model breaks the sandboxing [the app is encrypted to the owner and the data encrypted to the app within the owner space] (or requires you to install X the number versions of your apps).

While possible, not trivial without breaking the one thing that makes iOS truly superior over Android... the chain of authorization from user to device to app [to app data] to apple to app developer.   

• Reply 38 of 111
    JUST FYI this has been corrected. You will no longer see the iPad mini 3 or the iPad Air 2.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Who hasn't toyed with the idea of a 4k or 5k iPad!
    You know they're down the road.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If only you knew what you were talking about. Jailbreak your iOS device and you'll find it has a full file system. Just because it's not presented to the user doesn't mean it's not there. As for your MS quip, I'm an OS X engineer. So try again.

IT may be there, but sandboxing becomes much much more complicated if you have 3 users of pages and 5 users of numbers on your iPad.

Let's not kid ourselves.  

The simple use case.   2 users one iPad.  iOS 8.2 comes out, User A has an app that doesn't support 8.2, User B has an app that REQUIREs 8.2.

30 seconds:  Solve for both users.

Tick Tick Tick....

This is the crux of 'personal computing'   vs 'shared resource' computing.