Apple's own iBook reveals iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3, both with Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111

iOS is a Unix derived operating system and certainly has a filesystem, even if it's kept hidden from users. User accounts ("profiles" is Microsoft jargon :P ) are a well understood and solved problem; I don't think that it's unreasonable to want that as a feature in iOS. 

Touch ID creates the potential for user accounts really doable and Apple-like. In every family that I know, shared devices are a fact of life, especially tablets. It's fine for Apple to say that they don't want to do that and it's fine for people to declare that they have no need of such a feature, but it's rather silly to deride others for wanting it. 

• Reply 42 of 111
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

if there's really going to be an iPad mini 3, I am upgrading from mini 2!!! 

• Reply 43 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

What's with all the hating on user profiles?  Obviously we don't want crappy, complicated user profiles, we want intuitive, seamless user profiles.  What's wrong with wanting that?  With more and more of what's "on" your iPad actually in the cloud it's increasingly reasonable to imagine handing my iPad to someone and having them log into their Apple account and have it work just like their iPad.  That's just plain cool.  Or as an intermediate step, accept that the apps on the iPad can't (today) be downloaded on-demand, but within that constraint having multiple accounts on an iPad is no less reasonable than having multiple accounts on an iMac.  Obviously Apple hasn't shown any inclination toward implementing this for iPads, but if they did, I'm sure they could do it in a very intuitive and useful way.  Personally I think it would a big selling point (for schools, for libraries, for companies, for families), but it might need to wait until the default iPad has much more storage than they do today.

I'd love user profiles.

But I also love the chain of delegation that a single device has from me (human) to device, to OS, to apps and to app data.

To keep that you would need to build virtual machines for each profile (and change the secure enclave model to support multiple profiles... in Hardware!)  And Virtual Machines means Real Something, and this case that something is RAMdisk, and that costs money, and heat, and battery.

Or totally change how iOS security works.  Either way I think the solution would be either inelegant, or non-saleable.

• Reply 44 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple_badger View Post

iOS is a Unix derived operating system and certainly has a filesystem, even if it's kept hidden from users. User accounts ("profiles" is Microsoft jargon :P ) are a well understood and solved problem; I don't think that it's unreasonable to want that as a feature in iOS. 

Touch ID creates the potential for user accounts really doable and Apple-like. In every family that I know, shared devices are a fact of life, especially tablets. It's fine for Apple to say that they don't want to do that and it's fine for people to declare that they have no need of such a feature, but it's rather silly to deride others for wanting it. 

When someone asks me for a motorcycle that seats 4, I say, buy a car.  they were built for that job.

But but but... they say, we want to enjoy the wind in our hair, the wonderful interface, we want to go different places, and the ability to have 4 different experiences each tailored to the individual.   I say... buy 4 motorcycles.

Then they say... but why have 4 engines?  4 service agreements?  4 sets of tires to maintain? 4 smaller saddle bags, vs 1 large one.  What I propose costs too much.

Then I say, Buy one bike and share it. one at a time.  As soon as you add the 3rd (sidecar) and 4th seat, the experience will change for the worse.

Think about it.  The experience Apple is trying to sell, vs what you want it to do. and for what reason.

If an Ipad is essential to your life experience, if need to share it with multiple people, you won't have it when you personally need it.  Defeats the personal model.

If you must share due to economic constraints, then well, you share the common experience.  It's what it is... a constraint.

• Reply 45 of 111
    Is any more proof needed of the lack of a bigger iPad?

I weep and wail. Gnashing of teeth reserved for tomorrow.
  • Reply 46 of 111

Touch ID was exactly what I wanted. I sold my iPad 2 today and will be ordering a new Air asap.

• Reply 47 of 111
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I'd love user profiles.

But I also love the chain of delegation that a single device has from me (human) to device, to OS, to apps and to app data.

To keep that you would need to build virtual machines for each profile (and change the secure enclave model to support multiple profiles... in Hardware!)  And Virtual Machines means Real Something, and this case that something is RAMdisk, and that costs money, and heat, and battery.

Or totally change how iOS security works.  Either way I think the solution would be either inelegant, or non-saleable.

You most certainly would not need virtual machines for each profile.  I don't know why you're going to great lengths to show why Apple "can't" do profiles.  You're assuming that this means that user profiles with absolutely no compromises in UX when I think most of us want something much less dramatic.  It could be as simple as "guest mode" as Slurpy said.  Or it could be one main user controls/owns all the apps, but other users can hide ones they don't want to see.  And each gets their own documents/setting (or perhaps just iCloud documents).  There are a million ways Apple could offer improved solutions for families that share devices.  I think very few users are clammering for do-everything straw man you are arguing against.

• Reply 48 of 111
    sog35 wrote: »
    evilution wrote: »

Almost certainly done on purpose to get into the news the day that Google announces a whole raft of shit.
    Doesn't tell us anything we don't already know so I reckon it was meant to be leaked.

Exactly.

Just giving Google a gut punch.

This also tells me Apple has something else besides the ipad/imac tomorrow.
    Something big.  Very big.  Like 50-70 inches big.

I know you're dying for your very own Apple blow-up doll, but I fear your wishes will be disappointed.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    This type of leak would have never happened with Steve Jobs.

Not so.

There were regular leaks in his reign. ???? Having said that, Apple did spectacularly well to keep the iPhone such a secret.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Great answer!

iPad/iPhone are PERSONAL devices.

Get you own DAMN DEVICE!

If you must get something for your kids buy them a used $199 iPadMini

Apple does not cater to the 1% and let the 99% suffer.

Only 1% truly care about having profiles while the 99% want a simple headache free OS.

If you are so concerned about what someone will do or see on your device you have bigger problems.

Can I remind you of this nonsense when in a few years Apple rolls out a great solution for this?

Cars are personal devices and yet cars with programmable seats let you program for multiple drivers.  "OMG!  How horrible!  Buy your own CAR!  Can't fit two cars in your GARAGE??  Get a bigger house!  Can afford new house, then @#$% OFF!"  Is that how your mind works?  Sure seems like it.

• Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:

So you are comparing a desktop OS with a file system to iOS?

LOL.

You are thinking like a Microsoft Brain.  Ever heard of Windows8?

There will come a time when you can dual boot from one to another.

• Reply 52 of 111
    Hey, people, let's actually look at the pics: the bezels on top and bottom are smaller.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    slurpy wrote: »
    john.b wrote: »

Finally, the iPads get Touch ID.  Now if they'd just get to user profiles...

Will never happen. If you actually sit down and think about it for a few min, and how iOS and iDevices work, you will begin to realize all the complications and issues. 

- a 16GB device can barely hold 1 profile. You want several?
    - What about backups? Every iOS Device is automatically and fully backed up to the cloud. Backing up and restoring multiple profiles will add so many more layers of confusion and complexity. 
    - User management? Is one user an "admin", and others not? Privileges? Who gets to delete accounts? What about activation lock? Find my phone? Every single aspect of the OS, security, and privacy will need to be rethought. And for what? Making the OS much more complex because of a niche desire?

What I DO think Apple should add is a "guest" mode, where with one tap you can go to a "stock" iOS Device containing the built in apps, and where all data is deleted when you log out. Perfect when you need to lend your iPad etc to someone for a bit and dont want the risk of them perusing all your personal data. Especially since now, texts and phone calls will also be all available. 

Well put.

Your idea of a guest mode would work well, though even that feels a bit superfluous to requirements. But it's as far as they would need to go, in my opinion.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    You 1% clowns make me laugh.

only 1% of users really care about profiles.
    Yet you 1% are crying about it.

While the 99% are just fine without profiles and LOVE the easy and simple interface of the iPad.

I want a Purple iPhone.  Don't mean I get it.  Get it?

Apple won't sacrifice the simplicity (and profits) of the iPad to please the 1%

Sure, and no one needs more than a 9" compact Mac with no expansion either.

Apple is going to have to do something, the iPad as is it not quite there as a PC replacement. Close, but not quite there.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:

You 1% clowns make me laugh.

only 1% of users really care about profiles.

Yet you 1% are crying about it.

While the 99% are just fine without profiles and LOVE the easy and simple interface of the iPad.

I want a Purple iPhone.  Don't mean I get it.  Get it?

Apple won't sacrifice the simplicity (and profits) of the iPad to please the 1%

Yeah that's crazy just like the 1% that believe Apple is going to announce a 70" TV. 

• Reply 56 of 111
    Great way to avoid taxes.  Just fine yourself $50M everyday and Apple's taxable income in Ireland will be close to zero.
    Fines aren't tax-deductible so won't affect taxable profit
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Quote:

More than 1% want a 70 inch Apple TV

Again 1% just crack me up.  You should just go to Android.

1% wish list -

1. User profiles for iPad

2. Split screen for iPhone

3. Stylus

WTF?  I don't know if I'm in the "1%" or "30%" who would appreciate a well-implemented multi-user iPad, but what does that have to do with styluses or split screens?

You know what's a lot more complicated than multi-user iPads and almost no one was asking for?  Fonts size that can be adjusted across all applications.  And the funny thing is, Apple implemented that, and foisted considerable effort on developers to support it.  Apple does things when they believe it will improve the user experience.  I have no doubt that realize that iPads are, for a lot more than 1%, "family devices" rather than "personal devices."

To argue that Apple probably won't do this because it helps them sell more units is one thing, but to argue that it's somehow a moral failing for people to express an interest in this feature is bizarre.

• Reply 58 of 111
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I don't know why it isn't called "The Next New iPad Air 2" or wait, "The New Next iPad Air" no that's not it "The Next iPad(AIR)" or "The AirPad" no, wait, just gimme a minute, I'll figure it out. 

• Reply 59 of 111

I wonder if sog35 was this passionate about the insanity of the "1%" wanting copy and paste in the first iPhone OS.

• Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I'd love user profiles.

To keep that you would need to build virtual machines

No, I think that applications stored in a shared space and user data stored in a home directory would accomplish it. With Touch ID, users wouldn't even notice the difference except that the device would take on the "personality" of the current user's settings (their app layout and app data). 

There are no real technical or UI reasons to not do this. The best argument against it is that Apple wants to sell more hardware, and that's a very valid argument. The only reason for Apple to change their mind is if they think that they stand to sell more units by offering the feature. 

There's still no good reason to run people down for wanting it though (not that you are).