Oscar winner Christian Bale to play Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Sony's high-profile biopic of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will have plenty of award winning pedigree behind it, as Oscar winning actor Christian Bale will reportedly play the lead on the project, which also features an Academy Award winning director and screenwriter.

Steve Jobs

Bale is apparently in final talks to take on the role of Jobs, according to film industry publication Variety, which believes the casting is essentially a done deal. Bale will be directed by Danny Boyle, who won an Oscar for Best Director in 2008 for the film "Slumdog Millionaire."

The two are working from a script by Aaron Sorkin, who himself won an Oscar in 2011 for penning "The Social Network." The film is expected to be loosely based on Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography.

There has been some turmoil behind the scenes on the project, as director David Fincher was previously attached, but reportedly walked away after making demands of $10 million in up front payment and full control over marketing. Sony, which is responsible for the film, was apparently reluctant to make that commitment after a marketing debacle with Fincher's adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

Bale won an Oscar in 2011 for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in "The Fighter." He was also nominated last year for Best Actor for "American Hustle," but is perhaps best known for playing Batman in Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Perfect casting :D

• Reply 2 of 53
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Yes! My favourite Hollywood actor got the part! He'll nail it I'm sure!
  • Reply 3 of 53
    This outcome is agreeable.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Sorry, that ship has sailed for me, not really interested anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    best known to me for his role in "the machinist" ... an amazing actor and the reason i'll see the movie.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Perfect casting image

Actually, it's funny you mention that clip... Steve had a very slight lisp, just as Bale does. There are a number of really good reasons Bale makes sense.

• Reply 7 of 53

Excellent casting. Bale will do his best to pull it off. As for the guy who wrote "That ship has sailed" why would someone who will want to see this care? If you don't want to see it, prove it by not buying a ticket... but if you care at all about what Jobs was, I'm betting you shot your mouth off too soon.

• Reply 8 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So Batman is Jobs? Sweet. Was the Jobs the CEO we deserved or the CEO we needed?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    PERFECT CAST!!! Christian Bale is the best person alive to play Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Great pick!

Bale can lose a ton of weigh on demand plus he's a great method actor.

Bale is a little crazy which is perfect

I don't know the guy personally - but I'd hazard a guess that its more than just a little. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

best known to me for his role in "the machinist" ... an amazing actor and the reason i'll see the movie.

That is possibly one of the creepiest movies I have seen in a very long time and watching Bale's performance is like watching a ten car pile up in slow motion from four different angles all at the same time. 

• Reply 11 of 53
    jungmark wrote: »
    So Batman is Jobs? Sweet. Was the Jobs the CEO we deserved or the CEO we needed?

Jobs was the CEO Apple deserved back in the '80s and early '90s, but he wasnt the one they needed back then.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "Stay hungry. Stay foolish. Stay out of sight on the rooftops or The Joker will kill those hostages..."
  • Reply 13 of 53

YEAHHHHH!  

PERRFECTTTT!

• Reply 14 of 53

Bane will be played by Eric Schmidt.

• Reply 15 of 53
    Hopefully they can get Ballmer to star as himself.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Bane will be played by Eric Schmidt.

Me thinks you mean Two-Face.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Hopefully they can get Ballmer to star as himself.

He's available.

• Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Me thinks you mean Two-Face.

That's a better casting suggestion. Who would Schmidt be? Scarecrow?

• Reply 19 of 53
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    That sucks. Bale is WAY overrated.
  • Reply 20 of 53

Good pick. Looking forward to this movie.