Apple's own iBook reveals iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3, both with Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Ever heard of a budget?

Lets say you have $1400 to spend on tablets and you have two kids.

2 iPadMini at $299

2 iPad Mini Retina at $399

Total - $1400

What if you only have $699?

1 iPadAir $499 - share with wife, what do you have to hide?

1 used iPad Mini for $199 - kids share

Point is set a budget first than buy.

But people don't think and just spend.  And then realize they don't have enough money.

With Refurbished iPads at $199 there is ZERO reason for user profiles

Better to run out of money after buying too many iPads than to do the math first and decide to hold back on those purchases.  

Well, better for me.  I'm an Apple shareholder.

• Reply 62 of 111
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

If you're poor, then Apple/iDevices are not for you. Sorry but that is the harsh truth. I recommend Android which is much more affordable.

Until you consider usable lifespan and resale value.  But who plans ahead like that?  Oh, yeah, iPad buyers do.

• Reply 63 of 111
    Quote:

More than 1% want a 70 inch Apple TV

Again 1% just crack me up.  You should just go to Android.

1% wish list -

1. User profiles for iPad

2. Split screen for iPhone

3. Stylus

What on earth does Android have to do with any of this? There is no chance on earth Apple is going to announce a TV. You make these predictions that are a joke. Who is asking for a split screen iPhone?

• Reply 64 of 111
    Better to run out of money after buying too many iPads than to do the math first and decide to hold back on those purchases.  

Well, better for me.  I'm an Apple shareholder.

I always smile when I see Apple products or Beats products. I think of dividends.

Heck, when I buy an Apple product I figure I get cashback on it as well. 8-)
  • Reply 65 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Damnit Apple PR, get it together.

Are you sure this wasn't Marketing?

• Reply 66 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

First you complain that it's too expensive to buy multiple iPads for everyone in your family, claiming poverty

then you want to get a high end iPad

Which  is it man?

It's called "empathy". Just because he can afford a high-end iPad doesn't mean he expects everyone can. Further, even the wealthy among us find occasions where we don't have our device with us (or its battery is dead, etc.) where we'd like to borrow someone else's device for a few minutes. Even if Apple just enables a "guest mode" where the guest session is sandboxed and doesn't save any prefs, that would be great.

*Thank you*, I was just logging on to say the same thing.  My common refrain on this site is annoyance at how everyone seems to think their unique personal experience should be the baseline for all users' experience; the corollary is that these types assume that a remark such as mine about cost is a personal confession, and not simply a general observation.

• Reply 67 of 111
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

The new AppleTV will be 50-70 inches

Won't come out till Spring 2015. thus no leaks at this point.

That gives Apple enough time to finish the details and deals with content providers.

Its been a long time.....

Would love for this to be right.  But I know enough not to get my hopes (or expectations) up to too high.  I prefer to be surprised.

• Reply 68 of 111
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Huh, look at that: Power/Sleep button is still on the top right where it belongs. My current Air is substantially larger than my iPhone 6, and yet I've never had an issue with that placement, unlike the side mount on my 6, which makes screenshots, hard resets, or even just putting the thing to sleep a pain because I'm constantly hitting the volume buttons at the same time.

Guess I'm just "holding it wrong," huh?

• Reply 69 of 111

Apple is going to have to do something, the iPad as is it not quite there as a PC replacement. Close, but not quite there.

You should check the video where it was introduced. It was fully stated, and repeated, that it's meant to be a device that fits between a laptop and a phone. It was never intended to be laptop or computer replacement.

Personally, and I know it's just me, I don't want anyone else using my iPad. However, I would love a way to lock the iPhone to phone mode only. I say this because when my friends android based phones die they always ask me if they can make a call. What's the first thing they do? Walk out of earshot and usually sight while talking on your phone. I don't mind letting an android user borrow my phone for a five or ten minute phone call, but I don't want them to have acces to my stocks, documents, emails, texts. If there is a way to lock it in phone mode that I don't know about please fill me in.
  • Reply 70 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    iPads are PERSONAL DEVICES.

Once you understand that you will realize how IDIOTIC wanting Profiles is

I'm okay with a Guest account but full blown multi accounts is stupidity and backwards thinking

Bullshit. If I'm a parent I should be able to log my child in with their own account where they only have access to certain things. It's one thing to argue that's easier said than done. I can understand that argument. But it say its idiotic is idiotic in itself.

iPad sales growth is flat to negative. I don't think A8 chip and Touch ID isn't enough to stop this decline. Apple needs to shake up iPad in a big way. The product is stale. On the last earnings call Tim Cook said Apple had "interesting things" planned for iPad. I hope we see some of those interesting things tomorrow.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    And I thought IPad Air 2 was a stupid name, gosh, but these could be prototype devices/OS still.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

"Premature specification."

(a reference for the old hands)

• Reply 73 of 111
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Personally, and I know it's just me, I don't want anyone else using my iPad. However, I would love a way to lock the iPhone to phone mode only. I say this because when my friends android based phones die they always ask me if they can make a call. What's the first thing they do? Walk out of earshot and usually sight while talking on your phone. I don't mind letting an android user borrow my phone for a five or ten minute phone call, but I don't want them to have acces to my stocks, documents, emails, texts. If there is a way to lock it in phone mode that I don't know about please fill me in.

Maybe you could just hand them the phone on the lock screen. They can use Siri to dial the number but they can't see your content. I think that works.

• Reply 74 of 111
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Sure, and no one needs more than a 9" compact Mac with no expansion either.

Apple is going to have to do something, the iPad as is it not quite there as a PC replacement. Close, but not quite there.

Don't think Apple is shooting for a PC replacement.

Look at the evolution of computing:

1960's - 1 Supercomputer for thousands of workers

1980's - 1 PC for a family of 5

2007 - 1 Computer (iPhone) per person

2009 - Multiple computers (iPhone, iPad, Mac) for 1 person

2014 - Multiple computers AND a wearable computer for 1 person

Apple is NOT going backwards.

It does not make sense financially or philosophically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

And I thought IPad Air 2 was a stupid name, gosh, but these could be prototype devices/OS still.

Yeah...and '640k should be enough for anyone!' etc. etc.

Things Evolve--->Shit Happens--->Things Evolve Again.

I understand the value of simplicity in this, but it's also clear that iOS, and the devices,

are evolving prodigiously, and the mobile world -

however much we ol' codgers are uncomfortable with it -

may very well not value mere so much simplicity 'tomorrow'.  

So, why not lay the groundwork now?  So long as the greatest characteristics of progress

are always respected - in this case, flexibility and choice.

• Reply 75 of 111
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This type of leak would have never happened with Steve Jobs.

Dang skippy. Steve would leak it right, have an engineer lose on in a bar.

THAT is how you do a product leak
  • Reply 76 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    john.b wrote: »
    Finally, the iPads get Touch ID.  Now if they'd just get to user profiles...

Remind what the good reason would be for enabling families to get away with one iPad instead of buying multiple?
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

IT may be there, but sandboxing becomes much much more complicated if you have 3 users of pages and 5 users of numbers on your iPad.

Let's not kid ourselves.  

The simple use case.   2 users one iPad.  iOS 8.2 comes out, User A has an app that doesn't support 8.2, User B has an app that REQUIREs 8.2.

30 seconds:  Solve for both users.

Tick Tick Tick....

This is the crux of 'personal computing'   vs 'shared resource' computing.

no it doesn't become more complicated.  Each profile is an account, each account has their own sandbox for each app.  The sandbox and the app are not stored in the same location in iOS, it only acts like they are.   If a parent can set an iMac in their kitchen for their kids to share, why shouldn't they also be able to give them an iPad to share.

Your supposed version issue is no different than two users of a shared mac.

The primary issues are

- low end models have limited storage  (the same could be said about the previous 64 gig macbook air)

- touchid would need updated to be on a per account basis which may require a hardware change.

• Reply 78 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Remind what the good reason would be for enabling families to get away with one iPad instead of buying multiple?

to make it usable by more people, just like they do with the Mac.  How is allowing multiple accounts on an iPad really any different than allowing them on a MacBook Air?

• Reply 79 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    starbot wrote: »

Wants iPad.

Doesn't want to pay for iPad.

Got it.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    Quote:

Don't think Apple is shooting for a PC replacement.

Look at the evolution of computing:

1960's - 1 Supercomputer for thousands of workers

1980's - 1 PC for a family of 5

2007 - 1 Computer (iPhone) per person

2009 - Multiple computers (iPhone, iPad, Mac) for 1 person

2014 - Multiple computers AND a wearable computer for 1 person

Apple is NOT going backwards.

It does not make sense financially or philosophically.

you missed the whole macs went form single person running single program where you had to quit the app to run another program to a single person running multiple programs (switcher then multifinder) to today's multiple user accounts.

iOS has already gone from a single user running a single app where they had to quit that app to run another app to a multi-app experience that looks very much like switcher.

I don't really understand why people are arguing against it as a useful feature.  If implemented, it would be an OPTIONAL feature that would only add a possible extra layer to the lock screen that lets you select a different user similar to the way the mac login screen works.  Pretty much all of the technical issues are already implemented in the foundations of the OS as MacOS/iOS share the same core.