Adreno-powered Nexus 6, Galaxy Note 4 deliver poor graphics performance vs. iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    If Apple only supported iOS 8 on iPhone 5 or later, people would find it shocking. 

Well, actually iOS supports 4S only on paper... according to people who dare to update (my wife doesn't).
  • Reply 102 of 151
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Articles like this really just make me sad about the journalism here, in what universe is this "poor"? Slightly behind in some tests is what I'd call it, while ahead in other tests.  

[snip charts]

Etc etc. The objective minded can see more over here: 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review/8 ;

Be sure to look for "offscreen" tests to be sure the test is run at the same resolution on all devices, more important than the onscreen which is different by device. 

um ... but the onscreen is what users actually see. i think, you know,  that is what really matters ...

• Reply 103 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I don't know.

I thought this reply by Corrections was him stating that he was DED.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6xq3gxga03bj0m/AI.png?dl=0

There were other similar postings. I never realized that the identity of Corrections was a big thing. Seriously.

good god, everyone here has known Corrections = DED ever since he started using that ID after dropping Price McLean. i mean, you must be kidding ...

• Reply 104 of 151

wow, what a great food fight in these Comments - maybe best ever.

• Reply 105 of 151
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    slurpy wrote: »
    How the **** is the headline misleading when these phones DO deliver poorer graphics performance, regardless of guts and resolution? Would you like an 8K phone that can deliver 1fps? The point is offering a good useable experience with power and resolution tightly tuned, but these companies don't give a shit about that. The fact that you can't look past the specs and understand that is telling. 

I have no idea why Samsung or any other manufacturer thinks going with a 2K resolution is anything but a gimmick at this point. Especially when 1080P is more then enough. This article however is a little misleeding, if you look at the on-screen benchmarks the Qualcomm 805 performed just as well as Apple's A8. So if the Note 4 or Nexus 6 would have used a 1080P display this article would have been completely different.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    alfiejr wrote: »
     um ... but the onscreen is what users actually see. i think, you know,  that is what really matters ...

Your right and as there isn't a single app or game currently in the Google Play Store that the Nexus 6 or Note 4 could not run with blazing speed. These benchmarks mean absolutely nothing if their isn't actual software that can utilize these phones full potential. The same thing goes for the iPhone, there isn't a piece of software that could slow down an Apple iPhone with a A7 let alone an A8. Sure, these phones take a performance hit because of the use of a higher resolution display but it's an arbitrary hit if the user will never be able to see it, there's simply nothing out there software speaking that would be able to challenge these phones. This article is nothing but a ego booster for the Applenaut and means absolutely nothing for real world use.
  • Reply 107 of 151
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

An authoritative reply or citation is needed before I can accept this claim.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This just means Steve Jobs was Pablo Picasso. Because they both received credit for saying the same quote.

I fail to see how “[I wrote the article]” isn’t an admission that he wrote the article.

• Reply 108 of 151
    Wonder how long wife has to wait to get her Note 3 on Lollipop?

Probably forever, Samsung is notorious for not updating their phones once a new model replaces it. My sister's husband is still waiting for KitKat to be released on his horrible Tab 3 10.1. Poor guy just sits their in the corner rocking back and forth, "They promised, it's written on their website, coming soon but it's been a year, they promised, they promised". We might have to put him down.
  • Reply 109 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

Don't put him down! I understood he was such a gentle man.
  • Reply 110 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

good god, everyone here has known Corrections = DED ever since he started using that ID after dropping Price McLean. i mean, you must be kidding ...

My post was in reply to post 80, where the poster doubted what I wrote, "Are you being serious? Corrections = DED". 

My wording on my reply wasn't the best. I meant to say, "It seems obvious to me that Corrections = DED based on Corrections saying he wrote the article. But, I was being serious when I said I didn't know that there was some mystery about who Corrections was.

• Reply 111 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    ... after dropping Price McLean

Price less
  • Reply 112 of 151
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So sad to see such a young man be so bitter. You sound like the old men I knew in my youth that were still bitter that the Dodgers left Brooklyn some 30 years later.

You're very intelligent, but your constant condescending tone to people here is juvenile. Grow up, and learn some diplomacy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Can you ever post anything without making some snide comment Prince?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I'd take that bet.  Lollipop will be much better optimized than Kit Kat, so the Nexus 6 will perform better than any other equivalently specced device.  Will it be able to compensate entirely for the 2K screen?  Probably not.  But you're lying by acting like it won't make a difference.  Your journalism reeks of desperation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Wow, good find!

I saw the title. I read down to the first chart. Noticed the phone in the title wasn't even in the chart. Scrolled down to the next graph, then next, then next. Then just went to the comments to see if anyone else noticed. Yup! First post!

Now it's just a strange morbid curiosity to see how many are going to cheerleader it simply just because it's pro Apple and rants on Android. I must admit the comments are a better read than the article. image

Edit: have to admit, he got my click though. More than one actually because his rebuttals are better than the article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...or if you're in the other camp they may be saying "suck on this". image

Oh, GREAT job, Daniel! SUPERB job!

I'm giving you a standing ovation here.

?Anytime you get these fools (and it's always the same old usernames, isn't it?) raging and frothing and spraying spittle like they have here you know that you've performed admirably!

And they have the gall to mention hatred and bitterness! Look at the content of those posts:

SirLance99 has posted the funniest of pictures that would be better applied to the regular drivel that this group spits out on a regular basis, dasanman69 pretends to abhor seeing such bitterness in between gulping down his own bitter brew, Lord Amhran is having a hissy fit AGAIN (it appears the first fifty times weren't enough) because he believes you're attempting to mislead by not always using your real name (all while he continues to call himself LORD), Wakefinance's posts, as usual, are as boring as reading the financials, and Silver Shadow is too happy to find that he has friends just as silly as he is to even attack you properly!

You almost even got Gatorguy to drop his snivelling, Wormtongue-like facade and come right out and make a proper point like most normal people do. If that isn't an achievement then I don't know what is.

Well done, Daniel.

As long as you continue to write such enjoyable, informative articles - that also include a fireworks show at the end - I will continue to read them, relish them, roll on the floor laughing over them, and recommend them to all I know.

Keep up the great work!

• Reply 113 of 151
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

After a dissertation of hardware this, processor that, ram, android blah blah... In the end it looks like DED recognizes the real distinguishment in performance is that the Note 4 is driving roughly double the pixels the iPhone 6 plus is.

I agree its fair to test the phones as delivered, but why beat around the bush with all the hardware rant instead of just saying the iPhone 6 plus runs graphics intensive apps faster because it is doing about half the work the Note 4 is.

You can speed up a computer considerably by lowering the graphics settings, with the tradeoff being you eventually get images looking like Minecraft.

When you are doing things other than playing graphics intensive games, you'll be treated to higher density, sharper images than the iPhone is capable of. Personally I'd rather have the speed or, better yet, have Samsung or Apple innovate the capability to change graphics resolutions into their phones.

Do you have eagles eyes and like playing games at a very low frame rate? Is the display better in other ways than resolution?

The displays are not demonstrably better than the Iphone ones and the performance, when you include throttling is significantly worse (it is just worse before).  So, all in all, what's the point of those devices.  Not even talking about how this screen choice impacts battery life.

All in all, from a user experience standpoint; this is a poor product design choice.

• Reply 114 of 151
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Your right and as there isn't a single app or game currently in the Google Play Store that the Nexus 6 or Note 4 could not run with blazing speed. These benchmarks mean absolutely nothing if their isn't actual software that can utilize these phones full potential. The same thing goes for the iPhone, there isn't a piece of software that could slow down an Apple iPhone with a A7 let alone an A8. Sure, these phones take a performance hit because of the use of a higher resolution display but it's an arbitrary hit if the user will never be able to see it, there's simply nothing out there software speaking that would be able to challenge these phones. This article is nothing but a ego booster for the Applenaut and means absolutely nothing for real world use.

Throttling is a major issue on several of the latest top end Android phones, and yes this has actual impact now. Unless you're saying running at 1/2 to 1/3 of the speed as the A8 is AOK and will impact performance in no games at all!

That would mean that the best Android games are 1/2 to 1/3 as ressource intensive as the top end IOS games and that's all right. Well, OK then...

• Reply 115 of 151
    My first reaction to your article was to immediately write about how ignorant Apple users are and how they tow the moronic "Apple BS" line.

It still is.

But I'll say this instead: if you are comparing performance numbers, don't compare on different native resolutions, don't drag a GPU architecture through the mud when what's really wrong is the implementation. This has nothing to do with Apple engineers being hot shit. They're not. Apple uses PowerVR, it's not a feat of engineering on Apple's side.

If you want to break down the numbers, Droid Turbo (NOT NEXUS 6) is pulling 77% more pixels on-screen than an iPhone 6... these usually scale proportionately, so that if you were running the exact same test on the Adreno 420 at 1920x1080 it would score 20 fps, some 10% higher than Apple.

Samsung wants 2560x1440? Go ahead. It's marketing bs through-and-through. The same way Apple uses marketing. If you think you'll have a poor "gaming" experience (because that's all it amounts to) on the Samsung, Nexus 6 or Droid Turbo, then it's because you've never seen Adreno 420 in action at that resolution. On the other hand, Nexus 6 is NOT Samsung. It doesn't use Exynos, it uses Snapdragon. It doesn't use KitKat, it uses Lollipop... and as we all know Lollipop is very different from KitKat when it comes to graphics performance.

Here's a link to a site that usually leans TOWARDS Apple, and it shows very different results for those same tests... http://www.anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review/8

Personally I will enjoy reading reviews of how Nexus 6 tears iPhone 6 to shreds...
  • Reply 116 of 151
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Sorry to break up the Android hate circle jerk, but where are the Nexus 6 benchmarks?  I know, I know, the processor is shared w/ the Note 4 but it's still a different device.  Given that Samsung tends to destroy phone performance with their SW implementation and that the Nexus 6 will be using a different kernel+runtime altogether, it's premature to draw such conclusions.  Not expecting the difference to be extreme, but I'd be surprised if there were not some marginal performance differences between the Note 4 and Nexus 6.

• Reply 117 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Oh, GREAT job, Daniel! SUPERB job!

I'm giving you a standing ovation here.

?Anytime you get these fools (and it's always the same old usernames, isn't it?) raging and frothing and spraying spittle like they have here you know that you've performed admirably!

And they have the gall to mention hatred and bitterness! Look at the content of those posts:

SirLance99 has posted the funniest of pictures that would be better applied to the regular drivel that this group spits out on a regular basis, dasanman69 pretends to abhor seeing such bitterness in between gulping down his own bitter brew, Lord Amhran is having a hissy fit AGAIN (it appears the first fifty times weren't enough) because he believes you're attempting to mislead by not always using your real name (all while he continues to call himself LORD), Wakefinance's posts, as usual, are as boring as reading the financials, and Silver Shadow is too happy to find that he has friends just as silly as he is to even attack you properly!

You almost even got Gatorguy to drop his snivelling, Wormtongue-like facade and come right out and make a proper point like most normal people do. If that isn't an achievement then I don't know what is.

Well done, Daniel.

As long as you continue to write such enjoyable, informative articles - that also include a fireworks show at the end - I will continue to read them, relish them, roll on the floor laughing over them, and recommend them to all I know.

Keep up the great work!

Pot... meet Kettle.

• Reply 118 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sigh. I have Apps that will utilize 100% CPU power on an A7/A8, so your statement that there are no Apps that can slow down a device with the A7/* is pure BS.

• Reply 119 of 151

I have to disagree this time. I've always stated the only benchmarks that count are the 1080P offscreen tests as they offer a level playing field to compare processors.

If you're testing the engine on a car, you want to find out how much HP it produces. Using a dyno to measure the HP output would be similar to a benchmark testing a CPU.

Nobody goes around and takes the weight of the car and "adjusts" the HP rating to reflect how the vehicle will perform. They ALWAYS refer to the actual power output of the engine. There are other ways to measure the performance of the vehicle as a WHOLE (like acceleration or weight/HP).

Benchmarks are supposed to test the power of a processor (engine), not the overall device.

BTW, the gist of the article is correct. Other processors like the Exynos and Snapdragon are crap when compared alongside the A7/A8.

• Reply 120 of 151

This is easily one of the most pathetic posts I've read on this site.

1.  Naming the Nexus 6 is clearly click-bait, since no Nexus 6's were actually used in the creation on this piece.

2.  Misleading title implies the chips are weak, but the text of the article ends up stating the very very obvious:  higher resolution = lower frame rate.  Duh.  Thanks for the newsflash, Captain Obvious.

3.  Apple Insider wants users to think about just how much better new Metal API games will be, while utterly ignoring the fact that Android, as of 5.0, is switching to the new, higher performance Android Runtime (ART).  So Apple gets the benefit of a doubt, but the new runtime for the Nexus 6 and Lollipop ... well, doesn't matter.  Typical.

3.  If the author had been wanting to just make an honest comparison, it might have been "higher screen resolutions for new Android phones result in lower frame rates = bad design choice".

I fail to see how anything in the headline is substantiated by the article.