'Apple Events' channel for Apple TV goes live ahead of iPad event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
In preparation of its special media event on Thursday, Apple has activated the "Apple Events" Apple TV channel that will carry a live stream of today's proceedings, expected to include the debut of new hardware and software.

As seen in the picture above, the new Apple TV events channel is back, complete with the six-color Apple logo first seen on invitations sent out to press outlets last week. The page itself notes compatibility with high-definition televisions and includes a timer counting down to the event's start time at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Apple announced the live stream late last week, noting the "Apple Events" channel is compatible with second- or third-generation Apple TVs running Apple TV software 6.2 or later. Alternatively, those interested can visit Apple's live stream via Safari on both Macs and iOS devices.

At the Thursday event, Apple is widely expected to unveil new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display models with minor design tweaks, buffed internals and Touch ID. The company likely leaked its own unannounced product in a screenshot sample for the "iPad User Guide for iOS 8" manual published to the iBookstore on Wednesday.

Alongside new iPads, the next-generation OS X Yosemite operating system is expected to see public release, fulfilling Apple's promise of advanced iOS-to-Mac interoperability via so-called Continuity features. The OS is also getting a fresh coat of paint with added translucency and a substantially "flat" user interface.

Apple's iOS 8.1 maintenance update is also anticipated as the latest It is thought that the upcoming iOS update will activate Apple Pay for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets, as Apple said the feature would roll out sometime in October.

Other potential hardware announcements could include a 27-inch iMac with Retina display and possibly refreshed Mac mini models.

Along with Apple's webcast, AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of the event starting at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Why does it take 3 hours for AI to copy the articles 9to5mac posts?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    We'll see if this time Apple will be able to stream the event...
    Last time (the iPhone-event) the streaming was really terrible!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The article says possible Mini update. Is that just based on how long it's been? I would like to see it updated, but not aware of any specific rumors.

• Reply 4 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Cross fingers.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

With Apple anything could be possible.We shall see soon.

• Reply 6 of 40
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    **insert joke about needing a Mandarin translator here**
  • Reply 7 of 40
    ascii wrote: »
    The article says possible Mini update. Is that just based on how long it's been? I would like to see it updated, but not aware of any specific rumors.

It's likely to push it to Haswell, perhaps with IrisPRO graphics. Current model is a little long in the tooth.

If they do upgrade it I would expect the OldBookPro to take it's final bow and be dropped, since it and the Mini share the same 2012 hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's likely to push it to Haswell, perhaps with IrisPRO graphics. Current model is a little long in the tooth.

If they do upgrade it I would expect the OldBookPro to take it's final bow and be dropped, since it and the Mini share the same 2012 hardware.

Yep, it definitely needs an update, but you never know with the mini, it's updates are less regular than the other boxes. Perhaps they want to ensure they keep a decent gap between it and the more powerful machines, and a new Retina iMac will give them enough breathing room for a good mini update.

• Reply 10 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

**insert joke about needing a Mandarin translator here**

...or maybe "xi?ngshòu", not sure which is more appropriate.
  • Reply 11 of 40

My new prediction is that they are going to release a new Mac.  You heard it here first.  Don't hate just trying to improve my odds of being right...  :D

• Reply 12 of 40
    ascii wrote: »

Yep, it definitely needs an update, but you never know with the mini, it's updates are less regular than the other boxes. Perhaps they want to ensure they keep a decent gap between it and the more powerful machines, and a new Retina iMac will give them enough breathing room for a good mini update.

True, but Haswell has been out for over a year now, and the other Macs will be going to Broadwell soon enough. Now feels right to stick some kind of new hardware inside. Just not sure if it'll be essentially the same as the 1.4GHz $1099 iMac and base MBA, or if they'll use the 4570R from the $1299 iMac.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    My new prediction is that they are going to release a new Mac.  You heard it here first.  Don't hate just trying to improve my odds of being right...  :D

I bet we see, like, a new iPad Air.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I bet we see, like, a new iPad Air.

"No way!"

"Way!"
  • Reply 15 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I would love to see Apple surprise at this event and give us something we weren't expecting. It seems the media is expecting such a snoozer of an event that they're focusing on Tim Cook's wardrobe and not the event itself. http://t.co/9iXJokzld6
  • Reply 16 of 40
    One more chance for Wall Street to undermine and sell short AAPL for the week.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    rogifan wrote: »
    I would love to see Apple surprise at this event and give us something we weren't expecting. It seems the media is expecting such a snoozer of an event that they're focusing on Tim Cook's wardrobe and not the event itself. http://t.co/9iXJokzld6

More quality reporting from the New Yuck Times, what would we do without their amazing tech hatchet jobs...er, "coverage".
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Can someone explain why the Apple store still needs to be taken down in 2014? Maybe at one time they did it to create hype but I don't think they need to do it anymore.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can someone explain why the Apple store still needs to be taken down in 2014? Maybe at one time they did it to create hype but I don't think they need to do it anymore.

I've actually met the guy in charge of that, I'll ask him next time I see him.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    More quality reporting from the New Yuck Times, what would we do without their amazing tech hatchet jobs...er, "coverage".

The Slimes are also running a story asking If consumers need expensive tablets. Real quality reporting. :no: