Apple introduces redesigned iTunes Store to iTunes 12 beta testers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Maybe this is like an iMovie or Final Cut situation, where they're building a new look and design first, then planning to add features back in a future iteration? Or do you feel that's being too optimistic?

I'm optimistic, but that's mainly because I don't understand how they can have Home Sharing in iTunes that doesn't share the Playlists. It's not like it gets in the way because if you have no Playlist they simply wouldn't show up, and these are still available on the Apple TV when connecting to Home Sharing through the archaic sounding Computers channel.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    iTunes 12 truly sucks as far as UX is concerned. Thankfully Vox is filling in some blanks here, but eliminating being able to pin the sidebar up is a disaster.
  • Reply 23 of 35

No MiniPlayer button, just a key combo.

My large iTunes library still refuses to load on my iPad 4 or iPad Air so I have to use PLEX which loads the entire library in 2-3 seconds.

No side-bar view, everything is so badly laid out in the toolbar they've had to include a pathetic ... as nothing fits properly. Apple have seriously broken their own UI rules with the new iTunes. It behaves unlike any other app.

Oh, and no double-click window docking. WTF, Apple!?

• Reply 24 of 35
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Excited about all the new goodies coming within a week.

I never understood those that want to decouple everything in iTunes. I can't imagine digging around for dozens of Apps to look for stuff or enjoy the varied entertainment.

Ok, I do have a big beef. I love podcasts but Apple needs to fix the Podcasts App so it syncs and works as expected. Grrrrrrrr......

• Reply 25 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    zaba wrote: »
    They should also drop the name. It's time. Adopt the new Apple naming convention which I very much prefer accross everything.

What new naming scheme? You mean the ?Watch and ?Pay? These two don't need an Internet connection for them to work, so I would presume they didn't use the iPrefix, which, admittedly, is becoming long in the tooth. They may very well discontinue with the iPrefix, but renaming iTunes will be one heck of a thing: what to rename it to? It started with music, so iTunes made sense as you could buy music from the Internet. But then they added such a slew of media and expanded options the only Tunes it relates to is music.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Ever since they introduced that horrific side scrolling my use of the store dropped to almost nothing. That is to say I only use it if I know what I want already but never just to poke around looking for something new. I miss that. Hope they got rid of it.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ylon View Post

iTunes 12 truly sucks as far as UX is concerned. Thankfully Vox is filling in some blanks here, but eliminating being able to pin the sidebar up is a disaster.

Uhuh. I can't remember a single Apple software redesign, OS or app, in the past 10 years that wasn't a "disaster" or a "catastrophe" according to internet whiners. No, it isn't a "disaster". I've been using the beta since it's been released.  It's a bit different, probably overall BETTER for the vast majority, and you'll get used to it. Apple software designers aren't lunatics. Try to embrace change with an open-mind, instead of having a negative kneejerk reaction. So what if you have to slightly adjust your workflow? It might be for the better. If "Apple fans" had their way, nothing would ever change. 

• Reply 28 of 35
    Did they fix any of the deep seated, long-existent bugs, or is this just just a cosmetic fake-out?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    junkdrop1 wrote: »
    Did they fix any of the deep seated, long-existent bugs, or is this just just a cosmetic fake-out?

You would be making a point if you'd stated your definition of "long-existent bugs", but alas...
  • Reply 30 of 35

Is there any sign of a purchased content transfer system in the iTunes 12 beta and new store?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/apples-digital-content-resale-and-loan-system-could-allow-drm-transfers-between-end-users

• Reply 31 of 35

I have always wished you could increase text size and zoom in within iTunes store window. Same with App Store. 

• Reply 32 of 35
    tluptowski wrote: »
    I have always wished you could increase text size and zoom in within iTunes store window. Same with App Store. 

Me too.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm optimistic, but that's mainly because I don't understand how they can have Home Sharing in iTunes that doesn't share the Playlists.

I took a peek at iTunes 12 today, but I see Home Sharing playlists just fine when connected from my other Mac (10.9 with iTunes 11) I'm connected over WiFi, is your setup different? (other than the RAID/PPC)
  • Reply 34 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I took a peek at iTunes 12 today, but I see Home Sharing playlists just fine when connected from my other Mac (10.9 with iTunes 11) I'm connected over WiFi, is your setup different? (other than the RAID/PPC)

If is different, but not in a way I'd have thought would remove Playlists from iTunes Home Sharing on my 2013 MBP.

My apologize for make it so sloppy but here is my current setup.

16TB RAID10 <==> FW400 <==> iMac <==> 10Mbps Ethernet <==> 2014 AEBS <==> 802.11ac <==> All MBPs and iDevices
    4x4TB 3.5" SATA, Only USB 1.0, 2001 iMac only has 10BASE-T . . . . . . ??=> 1Gig-E <==> Apple TV

When running from the latest Apple TV update I can see my Playlists as listed in the iMac's "iTunes Server." When I run 11.x on my MBP I can see all the Playlists on my "iTunes Server," but after updating my MBP to iTunes 12 I see no Playlists from my Home Server (i.e.: the 2001 iMac). So far the reports are it's simply not in the code, not an issue of my iMac being too old, but I will be updating that old IMac after the new Mac minis arrive.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ^ post

Nothing sloppy about it, perfectly readable. So without taking the AppleTV into the equation, the playlists do show up on iTunes 11.x to a Shard iTunes 12 beta, but not visa versa?

I tested both ways: iTunes 12 beta accessing a Shared iTunes 11.4 and the other way around. Both work. The OS with 12 in on 10.10 with Remote Desktop Sharing enabled, the OS with 11.4 is 10.9.5 with CD/DVD sharing, though I doubt that has anything to do with it.