iPhone 6 Plus accounts for one-quarter of new iPhone sales, expected to boost Apple's margins

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

But but but but people here told me there's no demand for the 6+, it'll be cancelled next year and the 4in mode will come back. Heh. 

So you are saying there is no demand for a 4 inch iPhone?

... and, again... which people? (I remember one person saying the 6+ would be cancelled)

• Reply 22 of 57
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

Also, don't forget

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nexus6 is nice.  Problem is they are the same price as the iPhone.  Why buy the imitation when the real thing is the same price?

Its like buying a Kia for $80,000 when you can get a simuliar Benz for $81,000.

The large screen was really the only reason to get an Android.  Now that advantage is gone.

Only way the Nexus6 or any Android is going to take off is if its priced $200-$300 cheaper than the iPhone.  And still most people don't care since they get their phones subsidized anyway.

Last quarter Samsung's profits were down 60%.  That's only the beginning.  Very soon Apple will sell 80-90% of the top end units on the market.

And, don't forget the introduction of Apple Pay that will drive more and more people to iPhones!! Apple's widespread implementation of the latest and greatest ePayment technology will dwarf anything else prior. I am excited to see how well this works, both in stores and in native iOS store apps like Target.

• Reply 23 of 57
    mehran wrote: »
    I am surprised for the lack of articles on how people are option for the 64GB

That might be due to increased weight when filling up all those gigabytes:

http://www.cultofmac.com/299069/ipad-filled-apps-weighs-one-nothing-installed/
  • Reply 24 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    philboogie wrote: »

This is that very article; only 1 in 4 are 6+.

Neither the 6+ nor 5C were failures. This is just a survey.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    jungmark wrote: »
    Neither the 6+ nor 5C were failures. This is just a survey.

I know I know. It was just my backfiring to all the whiners lambasting Apple for not releasing a phablet.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:

5S is still selling pretty well.

Bottom line is because of costs Apple decided to only make 2 new phones. 

I think choosing the 4.7 and 5.5 was the correct decision.

The alternative was 4.0 and 4.7.  Problem is it would allow Samdung/Android to continue to dominate the Phablet segment. 

If someone prefers a 4.0 screen what choice do they have?

They can get a 5S or a cheap Android.  There are no premium Android phones at the 4.0 size.  So most will just sacrifice a bit of pocketablitly and get the 4.7.

IMO it was a genius move by Apple to cover all bases with only 2 new phones.

Now we know you have 2 aliases on AI.

• Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

explain....don't get it.

You are answering questions directed at other members... so I just figured you must be one and the same.

If you are not then your comment is irrelevant.

• Reply 28 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    ....cover all basis....

Don't know if you accidentally got this wrong, but it's 'cover all bases'. It's a baseball term, and I know you're not American, but last I checked the Netherlands has a pretty good baseball team. ;)
  • Reply 29 of 57
    apple ][ wrote: »
    That is true. I was over on a forum populated by many Fandroids yesterday, and almost every one of them was complaining about the price. It's almost double of what those kind of people are used to paying, and most of them simply wont be getting it, because it's priced out of their range.

It's also huge. It's taller, thicker, wider and heavier than the 6+, which is large to begin with. It's too big for most people. Not everybody wants a phablet.

Absolutely right about the pricing. Android buyers tend to be low income and the entire low end of the market is being cannibalized by the Chinese manufacturers.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

5S is still selling pretty well.

Bottom line is because of costs Apple decided to only make 2 new phones. 

I think choosing the 4.7 and 5.5 was the correct decision.

The alternative was 4.0 and 4.7.  Problem is it would allow Samdung/Android to continue to dominate the Phablet segment. 

If someone prefers a 4.0 screen what choice do they have?

They can get a 5S or a cheap Android.  There are no premium Android phones at the 4.0 size.  So most will just sacrifice a bit of pocketablitly and get the 4.7.

IMO it was a genius move by Apple to cover all bases with only 2 new phones.

I think the 6C will be the 4" form factor solution in the future.  I agree, having only 4.7 & 5.5" models release was a great strategy and will also help deplete the current 5S inventory.

• Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

ever heard of a forum discussion?

or are we doing direct text messages here?

i guess a hermit would not understand

As I said... your answer is irrelevant to me. Others might have found it entertaining, though.

• Reply 32 of 57
    bitemymac wrote: »
    I think the 6C will be the 4" form factor solution in the future.  I agree, having only 4.7 & 5.5" models release was a great strategy and will also help deplete the current 5S inventory.

Oh, I doubt they'll get rid of the 5s/5c size. People come in all different sizes and the human hand isn't getting bigger any time soon. Most people in the world are relatively small.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

I am surprised for the lack of articles on how people are option for the 64GB models to ensure future updates are easier without having to delete photos and videos or even apps.  The extra $100 no matter the model must help with the margins.

I did just that with my iphone 6 purchase.  For me, 32GB will be the sweet spot, but definitely need larger than 16GB.  Hope the iphone 6S variants will start at 32GB next summer.

• Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, I doubt they'll get rid of the 5s/5c size. People come in all different sizes and the human hand isn't getting bigger any time soon. Most people in the world are relatively small.

I agree.  My wife's iPhone 5S looks tiny and I can't picture myself using it anymore since the upgrade.  However, my daughter enjoys using iphone 5 and it's easier for her to use in one hand.     

• Reply 35 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Nexus6 is nice.  Problem is they are the same price as the iPhone.  Why buy the imitation when the real thing is the same price?

Its like buying a Kia for $80,000 when you can get a simuliar Benz for $81,000.

The large screen was really the only reason to get an Android.  Now that advantage is gone.

Only way the Nexus6 or any Android is going to take off is if its priced $200-$300 cheaper than the iPhone.  And still most people don't care since they get their phones subsidized anyway.

Last quarter Samsung's profits were down 60%.  That's only the beginning.  Very soon Apple will sell 80-90% of the top end units on the market.

True, the Nexus is the best Android phone one can buy, just because it's stock and gets instant updates. Unfortunately, most people are pretty stupid and don't realize this, or don't care. And you're right, Google just destroyed the biggest draw of the phone, which was price. There's no way in hell I would have purchased my Nexus 4+5 if they were anywhere near the price of an iPhone. I just don't think they deserve that value. At least it makes my decision easier, Nexus purchases are always tempting for me, but not this time. Google is insane. 

And yes, the larger screen was also the #1 Android draw. Anyone that think otherwise is delusional. 99% of consumers don't care about "open", "customizability" or other horse-shit. They buy what the carrier recommends, what their friends recommend, or what looks shiny in the store. And now, the 6/6+ have the "shiny" factor locked up. 

• Reply 36 of 57
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

Does not seem possible.  There are no Plus's in stock anywhere.  I've seen iPhone 6's come into some stores here and there.  Based on my data points no way they have produced 1 Plus to date for every 3 non plus models.  Maybe they are talking pre-orders but that margin boost will depend on the timing of shipments.

Pushing down margins and revenue on the other side will be ipad mini as the 6 Plus seems to have indeed cannibalized the mini

• Reply 37 of 57
    I finally got my first iPhone yesterday. The iPhone 6 64gb in Space Gray. And I'm lovin' it :-)
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

iPhone 6 / 6 Plus is a thing of beauty, no doubt.  OTOH, the new Nexus 6 , along with Android Lollipop are also looking very nice.  From what I've seen, & read, this is the only high-end Android phone that can give the iPhone a run for its money. 

"This time for real!" ?

• Reply 39 of 57
    trubador wrote: »
    I finally got my first iPhone yesterday. The iPhone 6 64gb in Space Gray. And I'm lovin' it :-)

????
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

16GB isn't enough for anybody, especially on an iPad. You sound like Bill Gates.

With iOS 8 that leaves you 11.7GB. Too little. Especially as apps continue to cache data and won't delete it. I had to remove Flipboard and Facebook because they had cached 1.7GB and 1.1GB just by themselves (which is utterly ridiculous, and should either be limited or Apple should give us the option to delete the "Documents and Data" section of each app).

There's a point where going for greater margins is just too far, and doing the 16/64/128 on the iPad will be too far.

my dad surfs the web for recipes to cook, checks scores/games on an app, some Facebook. thats it. 16gb continues to work for him. mom too.