Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2015
Apple's next-generation tablet became official on Thursday with the introduction of the iPad Air 2, featuring a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, new anti-reflective screen coating, and the speedy new A8X chip

18 percent thinner than the iPad Air, making it the world's thinnest tablet. The new model is so thin that two of them stacked on top of each other would still be thinner than the first

"Look how thin it is," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said. "Can you even see it?"

Like previous models, the Wi-Fi-only iPad Air 2 starts at $499 for 16 gigabytes. But another $100 quadruples storage to 64 gigabytes, and a high-end model with 128 gigabytes runs $699. LTE-capable versions carry a $130 premium at the same capacities.

Preorders for the iPad Air 2, as well as the iPad mini 3, will begin on Friday, and the units will begin shipping next week.

A new anti-reflective coating reduces glare by 56 percent over its predecessor. Apple says the new display features the lowest reflectivity of any tablet on the market.

Apple's next-generation full-size iPad will come in color options of space gray and white, along with a new gold color option, bringing it in line with the iPhone.

iPad Air 2 also marks the debut of Touch ID on the iPad lineup. Just like on the iPhone, it can be used to unlock the iPad, authorize iTunes and App Store purchases, and enable security with third-party apps.

Touch ID will also integrate with Apple Pay when shopping online on their tablet, allowing users to securely authorize purchases using their fingertip.

The new A8X chip is 12 times faster than the original iPad's A4 chip, while graphics performance is 180 times faster. The A8X chip was designed specifically for the iPad Air 2, and still boasts 10-hours of battery life.

It also features the Apple M8 chip, which tracks motion and includes a barometric pressure sensor, which developers can tap into.

The camera has also been updated with an 8-megapixel iSight camera, capable of shooting 1080p HD video. It's boosted by an Apple-designed image signal processor included in the A8X chip.

The iPad Air 2 is also capable of capturing panoramic photos up to 43 megapixels. It can also be used to capture Burst Mode and Timelapse images, and slow-motion videos at 120 frames per second.

Better quality audio can also be captured thanks to dual microphones included on the rear and side of the iPad Air 2.

Internally it also has faster Wi-Fi 802.11ac with WiMo capable of up to 866Mbps. LTE is also improved with 20 bands, offering up to 150Mbps.

Apple is also continuing to sell the 2013 iPad Air for $399, occupying the price point previously held by the fourth-generation iPad with Retina display. The company has also achieved a new low price point by selling the non-Retina iPad mini 1 at $249.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    Forget my iPad Air, I want the new one NOW!
  • Reply 2 of 137

Holy crap. 3 billion transistors on the A8X. 40% faster CPU and 2.5x faster GPU.

• Reply 3 of 137

No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?

• Reply 4 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Holy crap. 3 billion transistors on the A8X. 40% faster CPU and 2.5x faster GPU.

Guess this will finally be a very nice upgrade for my iPad 2 I've been holding on to. 

• Reply 5 of 137
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Why would a website use TouchID if it's going to cost them 30% cut out of their profits. 

• Reply 6 of 137
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Pixelmator FTW!

Once upon a time, Adobe would have been showcased at an Apple keynote.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SCREW YOU GUYS!

• Reply 7 of 137
    No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?

I guess the NFC will remain the sole domain of the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 137
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

No upgraded display?

• Reply 9 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Pretty bad when most of Phil's presentation was spent on the camera. Sigh. And considering we're an hour into the presentation my guess is this is it for iPads.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No upgraded display?

I honestly couldn’t have imagined why. Higher resolution for a larger model.

• Reply 11 of 137

Replay.

Apple may buy these guys.

EDIT: OOH, real time volumetric lighting.

• Reply 12 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No way that's just the GX6650. Something else is going on there, unless the GPU was limited by the 64-bit bus on the A8.

• Reply 13 of 137

But does it bend? /sarcasm

Certainly a nice upgrade, and in line with my expectations. Although it would have been nice for Apple to throw in a surprise or two.

• Reply 14 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Forget my iPad Air, I want the new one NOW!

Need to know RAM first. Apple will never say so I suppse we'll have to wait for a teardown.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    Let me get this right.... iPad Air 2 is thinner than iPhone 6 (6.1mm vs 6.9mm) yet iPad is able to make the camera len not protrude while iPhone 6 camera protrudes. Why?!?!?!
  • Reply 16 of 137
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    @ adonissmu Apple pay doesn't cost a merchant 30%. It's more in-line CC processing fees.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why would a website use TouchID if it's going to cost them 30% cut out of their profits. 

That has to be the dumbest comment I've seen. I hope you forgot the /s tag, because if not then damn.

• Reply 18 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

No way that's just the GX6650. Something else is going on there, unless the GPU was limited by the 64-bit bus on the A8.

It's simple. More cores of the GPU side.

• Reply 19 of 137
    Oh my lord. Love it. Need to sell ipad 2 ASAP!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 137
    More space to move things around and accommodate?
    netrox wrote: »
    Let me get this right.... iPad Air 2 is thinner than iPhone 6 (6.1mm vs 6.9mm) yet iPad is able to make the camera len not protrude while iPhone 6 camera protrudes. Why?!?!?!