Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?

Why? because it's stupid to carry an tablet into stores for purchases while there's an iPhone for that task. How many iPad owners actually carry their iPad everywhere now while almost 100% iPhone owners carry their phone all the times?

• Reply 22 of 137
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

How many iPad owners actually carry their iPad everywhere

Me. Why should I have to take my iPhone out of my pocket? Apple’s with me in that regard.

• Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No upgraded display?

As I said before: for what? It's already Retina display. I was predicting that the best would include would be Retina HD with the same resolution.

• Reply 24 of 137
    Quote:

Me. Why should I have to take my iPhone out of my pocket? Apple’s with me in that regard.

LOL. Let's me email Tim Cooks to make a special customized iPad with NFC for you...lol

• Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:

If it'd be an ipad you'd have to take it out of whatever bag you're carrying it around in

• Reply 26 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Why? because it's stupid to carry an tablet into stores for purchases while there's an iPhone for that task. How many iPad owners actually carry their iPad everywhere now while almost 100% iPhone owners carry their phone all the times?

I thought the same thing, but then someone pointed out that an iPad with a NFC chip could be used as a POS terminal with a NFC reader. You're looking at the wrong side of the purchase.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    Want it
  • Reply 28 of 137

Consider this is the "S" model of iPad: no obvious physical redesign but internal upgrades. I guess $100 differentiation worth it:  A lot faster CPU, GPU, more RAM (for sure), thinner, lighter, better camera, better display and Touch ID with Apple Pay.

• Reply 29 of 137

LOL. Let's me email Tim Cooks to make a special customized iPad with NFC for you...lol

Tell him to do me a 12.7”.

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

If it'd be an ipad you'd have to take it out of whatever bag you're carrying it around in

Bag? You joke.

• Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I thought the same thing, but then someone pointed out that an iPad with a NFC chip could be used as a POS terminal with a NFC reader. You're looking at the wrong side of the purchase.

And how many iPad will be used at POS? Apple target the mass, not just some segments. BTW, terminal NFC can be implemented separately.

• Reply 31 of 137
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Sorry TS - You're one of the more rational folks on here (imho), but still... if you can take your big iPad out of whatever bag it's in when you're walking around, you can certainly (and quickly) remove your phone out instead.  Waving a big metal slab around an NFC terminal is just dorky to the max.

Heck... I normally couldn't care less about what people think about what I do, but in this case... don't fall into the stereotype.

• Reply 32 of 137
    1. will the display be flexible enough to keep up with the bending of the case?:)

2. Why no larger iPads? Seems that the history is repeating, as with the iPhone Apple stubbornly refused to bring larger screens while the competition was gaining market doing the opposite. But well it will probably happen in 2-3 years while the market will be saturated already with larger tablets from the competitors.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

bag

I don’t get you people. :p

• Reply 34 of 137
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Very solid update, and appears that Apple has put in some substantial horse power.  Overall what was rumoured, although the display improvement was limited to the anti-reflective coating.  Would have been nice to get an iPhone6 like display (no change to pixel count/resolution, but with the iPhone6 screen tech which provides a much better display).

Going to upgrade from original iPad Mini for certain.

• Reply 35 of 137
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Consider this is the "S" model of iPad: no obvious physical redesign but internal upgrades. I guess $100 differentiation worth it:  A lot faster CPU, GPU, more RAM (for sure), thinner, lighter, better camera, better display and Touch ID with Apple Pay.

Did you miss the fact that it is thinner?

• Reply 36 of 137
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Let me get this right.... iPad Air 2 is thinner than iPhone 6 (6.1mm vs 6.9mm) yet iPad is able to make the camera len not protrude while iPhone 6 camera protrudes. Why?!?!?!

The iPad does not use the same camera.  The protruding camera is not an issue with any type of case, including Apple's slim leather and silicone cases.

• Reply 37 of 137
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Did you miss the fact that it is thinner?

Did you?

• Reply 38 of 137
    Phil didn't mention how much this new thinner iPad weighs. The first iPad Air was just about a pound, right?

And what is the difference between the new [rear facing] camera on the iPad Air 2 and that of the iPhone 6?
  • Reply 39 of 137
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

1. will the display be flexible enough to keep up with the bending of the case?image

2. Why no larger iPads? Seems that the history is repeating, as with the iPhone Apple stubbornly refused to bring larger screens while the competition was gaining market doing the opposite. But well it will probably happen in 2-3 years while the market will be saturated already with larger tablets from the competitors.

Which vendors are shipping large numbers of tablets larger than the iPad Air?

• Reply 40 of 137

PEOPLE WITH IPAD AIR SMART COVERS.

Is this little dongle thing new to the design? Seems fragile to me.

Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Phil didn't mention how much this new thinner iPad weighs.

It’s 24/25ths of a pound.