Apple announces iPad mini 3 with Touch ID for $399, keeps first-gen iPad mini for $249

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Apple's diminutive iPad will also receive an update this week, the company announced Thursday, in the form of the iPad mini 3, which features a Touch ID fingerprint sensor and new gold color option starting at $399.

The company has also expanded the iPad mini lineup by continuing to offer the first-generation model, lacking a Retina display, for $249. And occupying the $299 space will be the iPad mini 2.

The entry-level iPad mini 3 will feature 16-gigabytes of storage for $399. Upgrading storage capacity in the iPad mini 3 will run $499 for 64 gigabytes, while 128 gigabytes will cost $599. In addition, a new gold color option will join silver and space gray, and LTE-capable models carry a $130 premium.

The home button of the iPad mini 3 now features a Touch ID fingerprint sensor Just like on the iPhone, it can be used to unlock the iPad, authorize iTunes and App Store purchases, and enable security with third-party apps.

Touch ID will also integrate with Apple Pay when shopping online on their tablet, allowing users to securely authorize purchases using their fingertip.

While the iPad Air 2 was updated with a beefier A8X processor and the M8 motion coprocessor, the CPU in this year's iPad mini 3 remains identical to the iPad mini 2: An A7 CPU coupled with the M7 motion chip.

Preorders for the iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2 will begin on Friday, and the units will begin shipping next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68

Sticking with the A7?

• Reply 2 of 68
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

no apple tv  :|

was really hoping for an app store, official gaming, or an API for iOS devices to use it in a new way.

• Reply 3 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow a seriously boring event. Probably didn't event need to hold an event for this.
  • Reply 4 of 68

thats disappointing, Ill just pick up an mini retina now.  Anyone know if they are keeping the 32GB versions?

• Reply 5 of 68
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

was really hoping for an app store, official gaming, or an API for iOS devices to use it in a new way.

Maybe an app store will kill or mame their other products?

It seems that for a device that sells for $99, there's little overall profit there and they would prefer to keep it hamstrung.

Also, Apple probably thinks it's doing "good enough" in sales that they don't feel a threat from other TV box companies like Netflix and Amazon (and probably MS next).

The AppleTV could do a lot for a little, but why affect profits? AppleTV could be used as a $99 computer. Actually, you could run word processing software on an iPhone then beam it to AppleTV on a large display and have your portable computing there. Browsing as well.

Any theories as to why Apple doesn't want to do much with AppleTV (hardware/software or just software) platform?

• Reply 6 of 68
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I missed most of the event.  Did they ever clarify the "It's been way too long" teaser?

• Reply 7 of 68
    It appears they might be keeping the A7 (and only adding Touch ID), in which case, Touch ID might NOT work with online apple pay as this article states. They specifically discussed online apple pay with the air 2, but not with the mini 3.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow a seriously boring event. Probably didn’t event need to hold an event for this. /s

Phew, there it is! And yes, I added it.

• Reply 9 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

It's in desperate need of a faster chip. I don't get it.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

thats disappointing, Ill just pick up an mini retina now.  Anyone know if they are keeping the 32GB versions?

Seems like Apple wants to tease you with the cheaper product and expect or hope you to spend the extra $$ for the more expensive iPad with far more storage.

Sounds like their iCloud plans: You either get 20 GB or 200GB and higher. No 100GB. So, 20GB is not enough for many people, and 100GB is not there, so they are trying to tease you in and try to get you to dole out $3.99 a month.

No thanks, there are 100GB plans out there that are more affordable and most people are not going to need more than 100 GB (For now). And a lot of people are going to need more than 20 GB.

It seems kind of sleazy of Apple to cut out the mid-product in order to get you to pay more than you wanted to pay.

• Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I missed most of the event.  Did they ever clarify the "It's been way too long" teaser?

Probably waited too long to admit that their software has bugs...

• Reply 12 of 68
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Maybe an app store will kill or mame their other products?

It seems that for a device that sells for $99, there's little overall profit there and they would prefer to keep it hamstrung.

Also, Apple probably thinks it's doing "good enough" in sales that they don't feel a threat from other TV box companies like Netflix and Amazon (and probably MS next).

The AppleTV could do a lot for a little, but why affect profits? AppleTV could be used as a $99 computer. Actually, you could run word processing software on an iPhone then beam it to AppleTV on a large display and have your portable computing there. Browsing as well.

Any theories as to why Apple doesn't want to do much with AppleTV (hardware/software or just software) platform?

no, i disagree -- fear of cannibalization isn't how apple developers products; they've shown this time & time again. i also think "computing" tasks like word processing or even web surfing would suck on a TV. the sort of functionality we're talking about is more specialized than general computing. 

• Reply 13 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    malax wrote: »

It's been a long time since Tim Cook's tucked in his shirt.
  • Reply 14 of 68

Yep, confirmed. Mini 3 gets A7.

• Reply 15 of 68
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

I'm surprised they didn't at least put the A8 into the mini 3. They are really trying to upsell the iPad Air, I guess. Well, with the $100 price drop on the 64GB and 128GB models, it puts it in line with last year's mini. I'm going for the Air 2, I guess.

• Reply 16 of 68
    The site just updated, yes, they're keeping the 32gb retina mini, and it's only $50 more than the 16. They are also keeping the A7, but it does specifically mention using touchID for Apple pay, so, maybe they have a separate "secure enclave" for Apple pay info...
  • Reply 17 of 68
    That 32GB iPad mini 2 looks like the best deal out of all these announcements...
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

It appears they might be keeping the A7 (and only adding Touch ID), in which case, Touch ID might NOT work with online apple pay as this article states. They specifically discussed online apple pay with the air 2, but not with the mini 3.

No... the A7 is the same as iPhone 5sno reason that ?Pay shouldn't work just fine.

• Reply 19 of 68
    I like Touch ID, but I don't know that it being the ONLY upgrade justifies the difference in cost.
  • Reply 20 of 68

The only update in the iPad Mini 3 is TouchID and the gold color option....? Really?

Might as well get the Mini 2 for $100 less, or a refurb for possibly even less.