Apple's Mac mini receives long-awaited update with 4th-gen Intel CPUs, price cut to $499

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ridiculous.

Yup....who gives the sh.t about the Mini? Apple TV has been so long...not being updated.

• Reply 22 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mfryd View Post

The new mini is only available with a dual core processor.  My old mini is a quad core i7.   I suspect my old mini is faster than these new minis.

Not good. Also not good if the RAM is not user-upgradeable.

• Reply 23 of 169
    Definitely buying the Mini.
  • Reply 24 of 169
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A good spec jump. But I was hoping for a more radical redesign. Something a little more nuts! Like what they did with the MacPro redesign...still I'm glad to see they didn't leave the mini to obsolescence (I was starting to worry!) so that's what the 'Its been way too long' catchphrase was partially about.
  • Reply 25 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nice. Thunderbolt 2 and Iris graphics make this a very capable desktop.

Yes.  No shame in this Mac.  It's a decent computer for a reasonable price.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 26 of 169

No quad-core. I'm pissed. I was looking forward to using machine with an updated Haswell quad-core chip for audio production. I don't need a freaking huge display (and the fan noise to go with it) or the GPU compute power of the Mac Pro. I just need the fastest single-thread performance possible. Guess I either have to save more money or go the shady route...

Also, looks like Mac Mini server has been discontinued... can't find it anywhere.

• Reply 27 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's going to be a speed demon. Can't wait to see actual specs and then reviews.

Not a 1.4 GHz. The Acer C720 Chromebook sells for $199 with a 1.4 GHz chip. Hook one up to an external screen using it's HDMI port, buy an external 1 TB Toshiba drive for $65 and just use the USB 3 port with a USB hub and boom you've got  an equivalent machine for $300 without buying a keyboard or mouse. When you want to travel just unplug your C720 and take it with you. Bring the external drive if it will be needed.

I didn't see the Apple presentation today. When I heard about the Mini being priced lower I was excited. Then I went to the Apple site and saw the specifications of the $499 model. What a let down. At $350 I would get interested in having a Mini with those specifications.

• Reply 28 of 169

Disappointed as well that there is not a BTO Quad Core option for the i7 - really liked using the Mac Mini for a server and occasional virtualization uses.  Was hoping for an i7 Quad Core that supported 32GB of RAM, but would have been satisfied with one max'd @ 16GB of RAM.

Wondering how this will be received by the service providers who were used to buying the Quad Cores w/16GB of RAM and racking them up for customers...

Now I'm back to considering some of the NUC/MiniPC options that are out there...

• Reply 29 of 169

Agreed, a big disappointment.

Bring the QUAD core back Apple!!!!!

• Reply 30 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's soldered. Specs say LPDDR3, and "configurable to 8 or 16GB". Design no longer mentions removable cover.

I don't believe this. If you go to buy a Retina MBP on the Apple Store, it clearly reminds you that memory is soldered to the logic board and tells you to choose wisely. No such statement on the Mac Mini purchase page. It has to have the removable cover on the bottom, it's the only way into the machine!

• Reply 31 of 169

Exactly what I wanted to see and for a cheaper price. Count me in. Who wants to buy my old Macbook Pro?

• Reply 32 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I wouldn't mind buying 3 and networking them through ThunderBolt. The base model is more then enough to create a cluster. I'm actually tempted, I have been looking at used Blade systems on eBay but their just so big and energy consuming. I think I just might start with three and buy more as time go's by. The base model probably uses the new Intel Core i5-4350U @ 1.40GHz, [URL]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4350U+@+1.40GHz[/URL] gives it a CPU rating of 3604. Not bad for a 500 dollar mini computer.
  • Reply 33 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I don't believe this. If you go to buy a Retina MBP on the Apple Store, it clearly reminds you that memory is soldered to the logic board and tells you to choose wisely. No such statement on the Mac Mini purchase page. It has to have the removable cover on the bottom, it's the only way into the machine!

Let's hope you are right. We will know when the manual is out in a day or two. It will show if the bottom cover is the same and if the RAM is user-upgradeable.

• Reply 34 of 169
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    nathanimal wrote: »
    No quad-core. I'm pissed. I was looking forward to using machine with an updated Haswell quad-core chip for audio production. I don't need a freaking huge display (and the fan noise to go with it) or the GPU compute power of the Mac Pro. I just need the fastest single-thread performance possible. Guess I either have to save more money or go the shady route...

Also, looks like Mac Mini server has been discontinued... can't find it anywhere.

If you are looking for the fastest single thread performance then you want less cores and a higher clock rate. More cores only helps if you are doing more concurrent things (or if the process you are running can split execution across more threads). Dual core will be fine as long as you get a nice and high clock rate.
  • Reply 35 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfryd View Post

The new mini is only available with a dual core processor.  My old mini is a quad core i7.   I suspect my old mini is faster than these new minis.

I wouldn't be so sure ... perhaps in a few specific use cases, but I think overall, the  faster RAM bus and way better GPU, and newer CPU will more than make up for it.

• Reply 36 of 169
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Looks like the RAM soldered to the logic board. Better get all you can afford. One other thing to note...it doesn't look like it comes with the HDMI to DVI adapter anymore either. Its listed as an add-on for $29 and when you look whats in the box it says Mac mini and Power Cord.  

• Reply 37 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Looks like the RAM soldered to the logic board. Better get all you can afford. One other thing to note...it doesn't look like it comes with the HDMI to DVI adapter anymore either. Its listed as an add-on for $29 and when you look whats in the box it says Mac mini and Power Cord.  

Why does everyone keep assuming this? When you purchase the Mac Mini on the Apple Store it doesn't say anything about your RAM choice being permanent, but it does say that when you buy a MBA or rMBP.

• Reply 38 of 169
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Oh the people who don't understand real world differences between quad core and dual core. They are fun to watch.

• Reply 39 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I wouldn't mind buying 3 and networking them through ThunderBolt. The base model is more then enough to create a cluster. I'm actually tempted, I have been looking at used Blade systems on eBay but their just so big and energy consuming. I think I just might start with three and buy more as time go's by. The base model probably uses the new Intel Core i5-4350U @ 1.40GHz, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4350U+%40+1.40GHz gives it a CPU rating of 3604. Not bad for a 500 dollar mini computer.

These are getting close to NUC territory on price.  

NUC's might not have thunderbolt, but do you need thunderbolt to do what you need to do?  I have no idea.  Knowing you (which I don't), you likely have three 4 gig sticks of memory laying around so you wouldn't need to buy it :)

Regardless the price point of these minis is fantastic.

• Reply 40 of 169
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So the mini is refreshed now so on to complain about Apple TV not being updated.

People will always complain.  Apple could refresh the entire lineup with devices that run on cold fusion, and that wouldn't be innovative enough.