Apple announces iPad mini 3 with Touch ID for $399, keeps first-gen iPad mini for $249

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep, confirmed. Mini 3 gets A7.

They really want everyone that "knows" about the technology to go for the iPad Air (2).  However, as we often speculate, how many shoppers pay attention to, or know about, those levels of detail?  Likely most are enticed by/looking for an "Apple iPad", and then look at things like price, size, are shown the  Retina display, and the convenience of TouchID.  Expect very few to ever pick up on it having an A7 instead of A8X.

I know what I will be getting however...

• Reply 22 of 68
    Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

I like Touch ID, but I don't know that it being the ONLY upgrade justifies the difference in cost.

Yeah, that… doesn’t make sense. How is it a new iPad at all since nothing changed?

• Reply 23 of 68
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

I like Touch ID, but I don't know that it being the ONLY upgrade justifies the difference in cost.

Agreed.  $100 for literally nothing but the fingerprint sensor is a bit much to ask.  Oh, and the color gold :-)

Especially since you can get a 32GB mini 2 for $50 less than a 16GB mini 3.  The extra storage is worth way more than the fingerprint option.

• Reply 24 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So all the iPad mini got was Touch ID? I don't see anything in these iPad updates that are really going to change the flat growth rate. Hopefully Q1 has nice updates on the software side, though my guess is those will be limited to the new Air.
  • Reply 24 of 68

No... the A7 is the same as iPhone 5sno reason that ?Pay shouldn't work just fine.
    I was under the impression that it wouldn't work for the 5s, unless you had an apple watch as well, though they weren't clear on the online portion of Apple pay.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

…though my guess is those will be limited to the new Air.

How does that make sense?

• Reply 27 of 68
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no, i disagree -- fear of cannibalization isn't how apple developers products; they've shown this time & time again. i also think "computing" tasks like word processing or even web surfing would suck on a TV. the sort of functionality we're talking about is more specialized than general computing. 

You could hook up the AppleTV to a regular 24" display and have a computer of sorts using your iPhone/iPad?

• Reply 28 of 68
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

ipads aren't designed to entice you to upgrade annually. they're just updated annually. if you don't buy a new laptop each year, not sure why you would an iPad.

• Reply 29 of 68
    brucemc wrote: »
    They really want everyone that "knows" about the technology to go for the iPad Air (2).  However, as we often speculate, how many shoppers pay attention to, or know about, those levels of detail?  Likely most are enticed by/looking for an "Apple iPad", and then look at things like price, size, are shown the  Retina display, and the convenience of TouchID.  Expect very few to ever pick up on it having an A7 instead of A8X.

I know what I will be getting however...
    Agreed. I feel like for the price difference, though, I'd forgo the convenience of Touch ID. Personally, I'm in for an air 2, though. It's a much more justifiable upgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

That 32GB iPad mini 2 looks like the best deal out of all these announcements...

yes it does.  looks like they lost 150 from me x2.

• Reply 31 of 68
    x

• Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

You could hook up the AppleTV to a regular 24" display and have a computer of sorts using your iPhone/iPad?

no. if that replaces your mac then you aren't doing much w/ your mac.

• Reply 33 of 68

Mini 2 refurbs are priced at $250, and they're practically the same thing as the Mini 3's. Think I'm going that route.

• Reply 34 of 68
    So last year the mini retina and Air were essentially the same, now this year Apple's reversed that with the A8X in the Air only. Couldn't they have thrown the A8 in the retina mini? I don't see what compelling reason there isn't get a 3rd generation mini.
  • Reply 35 of 68

How does that make sense?
    Air is the only device to get A8X. And probably the only one to get 2G RAM. It iOS 8.2 gets split screen multitasking it most likely will only work with the new Air.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

I was under the impression that it wouldn't work for the 5s, unless you had an apple watch as well, though they weren't clear on the online portion of Apple pay.

Now that you mention it, I think you're probably correct.

?Pay relies on NFC, which the 5s doesn't have... so the question becomes, does the new iPad have an NFC radio? (that would be on a separate chip from the A7, I think, so it's a possibility.)

• Reply 37 of 68
    No, the iPads won't have NFC. They only will support online apple pay with certain websites that supports it. My guess is the mini 2 will do the same but you will have to enter e password and not have the Touch ID simplicity. Ohhh, another 2 seconds to type a password. The mini 3 is not worth the update just for that Touch ID.
    Nothing else is updated. If you don't need 128GB then save he money, get a mini 2 with 32gb.

Now that you mention it, I think you're probably correct.
    ?Pay relies on NFC, which the 5s doesn't have... so the question becomes, does the new iPad have an NFC radio? (that would be on a separate chip from the A7, I think, so it's a possibility.)
  • Reply 38 of 68
    rogifan wrote: »
    So last year the mini retina and Air were essentially the same, now this year Apple's reversed that with the A8X in the Air only. Couldn't they have thrown the A8 in the retina mini? I don't see what compelling reason there isn't get a 3rd generation mini.

Oh, and the retina mini 3 still has the air gap which the Air 2 does not. So A7 chip, most likely 1GB RAM, same display, same body. Anyone that buys a retina mini 3 is nuts IMO.
  • Reply 39 of 68

It iOS 8.2 gets split screen multitasking it most likely will only work with the new Air.

So you’re just making crap up; got it. :no:

• Reply 40 of 68
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

So all the iPad mini got was Touch ID? I don't see anything in these iPad updates that are really going to change the flat growth rate. Hopefully Q1 has nice updates on the software side, though my guess is those will be limited to the new Air.

Kuo was right, I guess, that the Mini 3 would see only minor updates. I'm surprised the Mini 3 didn't even get the base A8. Stepping back, they kept the price the same for the base from last year, dropped the 64GB and 128GB models by $100, and added Touch ID. But since they are keeping the mini 2 around at $349 for a 32GB model, it's a bit of a wonder how many will opt to pay $399 for a 16GB Mini 3 or $499 for a 64GB Mini 3.

I guess they are just accepting that the mini line will be the most cannibalized by the 6 Plus, and keeping it around for those who want it, not expecting a real boost in sales. This is a sign that Apple sees the iPad market and tablet market in general as stabilized and low growth.