Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137

Just checked back on the iphone 6 presentation.

A8 is 25% faster CPU performance and up to 50% faster GPU performance than A7.

Now....

A8X is 40% faster CPU and up to 250% faster GPU versus A7. 

• Reply 42 of 137

"Look how thin it is because it is the only new thing we can do."

• Reply 43 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Which vendors are shipping large numbers of tablets larger than the iPad Air?

They will, and they are ahead already. Samsung has been doing that for a while I believe believe begining of this year if not earlier, Microsoft as of this summer, and Asus also.. probably others that I'm not aware of.
  • Reply 44 of 137
    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Look how [pathetic I am] because [I can’t even come up with anything intelligent to troll about].

Fixed.

• Reply 45 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Holy crap. 3 billion transistors on the A8X. 40% faster CPU and 2.5x faster GPU.

I was really surprised at that. I'm sure we all expected to see another minor 100MHz speed bump, which would have added a very small improvement, when we heard about the "x" model, I expected another 50% bump in graphics performance as per the older "x" bumps. But this threw me.

Either Apple has bumped the speed up by much more than 100MHz, or has done something dramatic in the design in addition to a larger speed bump. With an entire extra billion transistors, they seem to have made major additions to the SoC.

Boy, I just can't wait for Anandtech to get their hands on this!
  • Reply 46 of 137

An even better upgrade for those of us still with the original iPad 1!!

• Reply 47 of 137
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Boy, I just can't wait for Anandtech to get their hands on this!

I'm sure Anand already got his hand on it 8-) 

• Reply 48 of 137
    Any idea when are they're going to selling the ipads in Europa namely Portugal?
  • Reply 49 of 137
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

This is a nice improvement over the first air, but for the price, i'll just stick with what I have.  

• Reply 50 of 137
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Definitely more impressive than the lacklustre iPad mini 3, but no 3x display upgrade - I was really hoping for that as the A8x can handle it. So 3x res solely for a future larger screened iPad Pro/Plus maybe?
  • Reply 51 of 137
    smalm wrote: »

I haven't been there yet today, but they didn't have the phones early, so I figure they don't have this either. But I'm sure they were there today, so they will at least have an impression of how it feels in use, as should ArsTechnica.
  • Reply 52 of 137
    Under the notes for wifi - cellular version, it says unit comes with an Apple sim card that works with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Verizon user will need a sim from Verizon. And that the Apple sim can be used by other over seas carriers that participate, or use their own sim. This seems to indicate that buying a cellular enabled version will be compatible globally. Not sure if the China version will be different.
  • Reply 53 of 137
    1983 wrote: »
    Definitely more impressive than the lacklustre iPad mini 3, but no 3x display upgrade - I was really hoping for that as the A8x can handle it. So 3x res solely for a future larger screened iPad Pro/Plus maybe?

That's what I'm thinking. I wonder where the extra oomph in CPU performance came from.

If you look at the A8 X-ray photos, you'll see that, as usual, there is between 35-40% of the area used for unknown functions. I can see some of the extra transistors in the A8x going to the extra graphics, but surely not all of it. A small extra for the CPU's enhanced performance. What else could account for the huge increase in graphics performance?

Possibly, for the first time, graphics RAM?
  • Reply 54 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?

Because paying with an iPad in a store is fucking ridiculous. 

• Reply 55 of 137
    lundkeman wrote: »
    Under the notes for wifi - cellular version, it says unit comes with an Apple sim card that works with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Verizon user will need a sim from Verizon. And that the Apple sim can be used by other over seas carriers that participate, or use their own sim. This seems to indicate that buying a cellular enabled version will be compatible globally. Not sure if the China version will be different.

No, Shiller said that. Same unit for China.
  • Reply 56 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Good update!

I'm definitely getting one tomorrow! I haven't decided on 64 GB vs 128 Gb, we'll see.

Basically, all of the things that I wanted were included, so I guess I'm happy.

• Reply 57 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    smalm wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »
    I haven't been there yet today, but they didn't have the phones early, so I figure they don't have this either. But I'm sure they were there today, so they will at least have an impression of how it feels in use, as should ArsTechnica.

He was probably kidding around. Anand now works directly for Apple (since at least August) and yes probably got his hands on it some time ago. :)
  • Reply 58 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When do we find out how much RAM? If it's still 1GB I have zero interest.
  • Reply 59 of 137
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Pretty bad when most of Phil's presentation was spent on the camera. Sigh. And considering we're an hour into the presentation my guess is this is it for iPads.

the camera in our devices is perhaps the most exciting thing about them, especially for normal consumers. the camera defines how we see, and how we remember, the world around us.

• Reply 60 of 137
    Impressive one from Apple as compared to yesterday's Google Nexus 9 tablet, have a look on what's new in iPad Air 2.
    http://uneedtech.com/2014/10/16/apple-announced-ipad-air-2-thinnest-and-fastest-tablet-ever/