Apple announces 27-inch iMac with Retina display, 5,120-by-2,880 pixel resolution

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

That's a beautiful machine. Has a decent graphics chip in it too, so gaming shouldn't be an issue.

I'm happy with a Macbook Pro Retina + A gaming PC I built. Best of both worlds.

• Reply 62 of 122
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

…a 24 inch screen (or whatever the maths works out at) at the same pixel density equating to a 4K panel.

Why? The retina 27” is 217PPI. A 4K 21.5” would be 204. A bigger display would be worse.

• Reply 63 of 122
    1983 wrote: »
    Nice! If they can make an entire iMac computer with a 5K display for that price - why didn't they introduce a new Apple display without any of the PC gubbins for considerably less?

The iMac looks pretty attractive now, and I think that was the intent. The 5K display would help sell iMacs. Remember that Apple wants to sell Macs, not displays.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

all that pixelly goodness ::drooool:: :wow:

• Reply 65 of 122
    Huge win for AMD and Apple.

Interesting how NeXT used to tout their "megapixel display" (21" curved monochrome CRT) back in the day, and here is the direct descendant of that system with 14.7 megapixels and flat as a board. For less money.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wdowell wrote: »
    It's a shame that they havent integrated TouchID into the iMac somehow. I'm sure it would be possible to do it at least on the touchpad they sell. perhaps all that is coming next year if they do a refreshed keyboard with them built it in. It doesn't make sense to shout about how great TouchID is for security if the computers you sell don't enable it. It's the weakest link.

The difference is it'll be a very rare occurance of leaving your iMac at a bar or restaurant. Or having someone grab your iMac from you on the street.

If someone is able to steal your iMac from your home, the password would be the least of your problems.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    1983 wrote: »
    Nice! If they can make an entire iMac computer with a 5K display for that price - why didn't they introduce a new Apple display without any of the PC gubbins for considerably less?

Everybody wondering the same thing, consider the fact that this display is likely to be in short supply for some time to come. It's taken three years of work on IGZO production processes, obviously, or they would have brought one out with the Mac Pro instead of resorting to selling Sharp monitors in the Apple stores. That must have been a painful decision.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    PINK UNICORN!!!!

Now I wonder if you can plug this into a Mac Pro and use it like a second monitor someday when the 4.0Ghz Core i5 is past its prime...

God I hate infantile fixations. Is your imagination really that trashed? You just had to bring it up again, didn't you.

For everyone else who still has their reason intact, we can realize that the ONLY way that this display could be made is by using an "oxide" backplane. No other way. We'd still be waiting. And we'll still be waiting for monitors till they can properly produce screens at this size and pixel density in the millions they're going to need.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    flaneur wrote: »
    IGZO!!!!

It's been way too long . . . !

By the way, will the anti-thinness nuts now stop kvetching about how it's unnecessary for a desktop? You saw how the iMac fit with their main graphic for the event, the profile of all the product types done as a glyph of svelte aluminum edges.

PINK UNICORN!!!!

Now I wonder if you can plug this into a Mac Pro and use it like a second monitor someday when the 4.0Ghz Core i5 is past its prime...

Should be able to do that -- I can do it with my mid 2011 iMac 27:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge
  • Reply 70 of 122

I just want to know how we're going to be able to stay on track with the predictions of Moore's Law and Ray Kurzweil (his "Singularity" scenario) at this pace...

We're supposed to have a $4,000 desktop computer available by 2019 with computational power equivalent to a single human brain.

I'm not seeing that happening.

• Reply 71 of 122
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">"AppleTV w/5K Display"</span>

Ignoring the waste of time in making a television, won’t you have the purists after you because the thing won’t ever be displaying 720, 1080, or 2160 content 1:1? :p

Leading edge video filmmakers (oxymoron) shoot in 5K and deliver in 4K for theaters (and lesser formats for Hollywood, DVD, TV).

It's a carryover from using film -- where the director would shoot a much larger image (oversample) than the frame size he planned to deliver. Then, the editor had great flexibility on choosing what part of the sample he would include in the frame.

It also allows a digital editor things that wouldn't be possible, otherwise. For example a dialog scene can be stitched together from different takes -- selecting each actor's best performance and combining them into one. This ability to digitally transpose, align, adjust and match dialogs was used extensively in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo -- shot in 5K and delivered in 4K.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    flaneur wrote: »
    God I hate infantile fixations. Is your imagination really that trashed? You just had to bring it up again, didn't you.

For everyone else who still has their reason intact, we can realize that the ONLY way that this display could be made is by using an "oxide" backplane. No other way. We'd still be waiting. And we'll still be waiting for monitors till they can properly produce screens at this size and pixel density in the millions they're going to need.

LOL. Manufacturing buzzwords are for engineers. I'm only interested in the finished product, and what I can do with it.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Should be able to do that -- I can do it with my mid 2011 iMac 27:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge

It might run at a lower resolution as external displays are supported at 3840x2160 but after upscaling to 5K, you wouldn't be able to tell. Thunderbolt 2 / DP 1.2 has the bandwidth to do 5K:

5120x2880 x 24bpp x 60Hz = 21.2Gbps. Displayport 1.2 supports 21.6Gbps.

but support for 5K is in DP 1.3:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2683432/new-displayport-13-standard-supports-5k-monitors.html

If a new Mac Pro supports DP 1.3 then it should be able to run the iMac display, even it's just via pass-through.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, this is one of those times I'm happy to admit I was wrong. I really didn't think they would go all the way to 5k. I just hope those mobile GPU's will drive this sufficiantly.

Both my wife and daughter want one, but I want to wait until Broadwell comes out. I think it will be a better match to the screen. Perhaps the newer Maxwell GPU's will be available for this by then.

I'm also surprised by the pricing.

What I don't remember now is whether the older models used IPS screens. I thought they did. This uses an Oxide TFT. I hope the color gamute will be at least as good. Many TFT screens can't put out a true 24 bit gamute.

You are confusing TFT with TN. IPS displays are most definitely a type of TFT LCD.

• Reply 75 of 122
    joninsd wrote: »
    My wallet doesn't think it's that great, but what does he know anyway?

There's your problem, you need a female wallet, they 'she'd' know such a bargain when 'she' sees one! :D

Well. I didn't pull the handle on the Mac Pro last year, but I just ordered a maxed-out config of this -- except for drive size (I already have a couple Promise Pegasus 12TB Thunderbolt 1 RAIDS).

The total cost with AppleCare, tax, 2-day shipping was ~$4,300 ... AIR, the Mac Pro I was considering was about double that -- and no 5K Display.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    I wonder if the iMac can drive a 2nd 4k display...

I'd like to be able to have a 'rotate' Dell style (I know, I'm going to hell...) monitor alongside it.  I want to be able to see A3 art at 'near' 200-300 dpi print.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I think you can get a mount that fits an iMac and allows 90-degree rotate -- there is some software (I forget what) that allows you to rotate the display image ...
  • Reply 77 of 122

I think performance will suffer for some apps on the new iMac.  I don't think the current gen CPU + GPU combos can manage the 5k resolution.   It's an insane amount of pixels to process and render.  

• Reply 78 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well. I didn't pull the handle on the Mac Pro last year, but I just ordered a maxed-out config of this -- except for drive size (I already have a couple Promise Pegasus 12TB Thunderbolt 1 RAIDS).

The total cost with AppleCare, tax, 2-day shipping was ~$4,300 ... AIR, the Mac Pro I was considering was about double that -- and no 5K Display.

The Mac Pro you can upgrade the memory and has a better processor.

• Reply 79 of 122
    vision33r wrote: »

The Mac Pro you can upgrade the memory and has a better processor.

Yeah, I hear ya' ...

But the config I ordered has 32GB RAM, i7 and 4GB VRAM So It's a big step up from a mid 2011 iMac 27:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

$3,749.00

With the following configuration:

• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    • 3TB Fusion Drive
    • AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
    • Apple Magic Mouse
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

Recycle fee
    $4.00

AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll

$169.00
  • Reply 80 of 122
    LOL. Manufacturing buzzwords are for engineers. I'm only interested in the finished product, and what I can do with it.

Stupid narcissist comment. No wonder you don't get it. Does the buzzword "silicon" mean anything to you? "Transistor"?

If you don't understand something, I would think the last thing you'd want to do is mock the subject of your ignorance.