Apple says iPhone 6 owners can start using ApplePay with release of iOS 8.1 on Monday, Oct. 20

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
The NFC-based e-wallet functionality hidden inside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be unlocked starting next Monday, Oct. 20, when the service is set to launch in the U.S.

The official launch date for Apple Pay was announced by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook at a media event in Cupertino, Calif., on Thursday. Cook said that many more retailers and partners have decided to join since the Apple Pay service was unveiled last month.

Apple will be rolling out Apple Pay with iOS 8.1 next week. When the update launches, Apple will open up access to iCloud Photo Library, the cloud-based image storage and sharing feature now in limited beta testing. Apple is also bringing back Camera Roll, which was basically moved and renamed in iOS 8, after an outcry from users and developers who rely on the feature.

Though Apple Pay will be exclusive to the latest iPhones, it will also be included in the Apple Watch, which is set to launch in early 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

Who will have terminals though?

• Reply 2 of 7
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    ???? can not wait. I know target is on board so the will most likely have it running on day one :) :)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Anyone with OS X.

• Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone with OS X.

But what about the hardware? I was looking for an "how do I accept Apple Pay" guide the other day and couldn't find anything.

• Reply 5 of 7
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Tons of retailers already have them.  Subway for lunch will be first on my agenda Monday.  Thinking I probably will not make breakfast at McDonalds.

• Reply 6 of 7
    I had suggested that payments might be a killer app for the iWatch before it was announced.

Now you can do it on the iPhone, it makes the ?Watch redundant.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Check this out: Credit cards with embedded fingerprint scanners, and shipping now.
    http://zwipe.com/news/mastercard-and-zwipe-announce-the-launch-of-the-worlds-first-biometric-contactless-payment-card-with-integrated-fingerprint-sensor/

[B]"MasterCard and Zwipe has announced their partnership for the launch of the world’s first contactless payment card featuring an integrated fingerprint sensor.

The launch of the card comes after a successful live pilot with Norway’s Sparebanken DIN, aligned to the Eika Group, as an answer to the complex challenge of providing a fast, convenient payment solution that does not compromise on security.

The Zwipe MasterCard payment card is the world’s first fingerprint authenticated contactless payment card. It includes an integrated biometric sensor and the Zwipe secure biometric authentication technology that holds the cardholder’s biometric data. It contains an EMV certified secure element and MasterCard’s contactless application.

The card is the first of its kind to combine the security of biometric authentication with the speed and convenience of contactless payment. Cardholder fingerprint data is stored directly on the card, not in an external database. After activation by a simple fingerprint scan, the Zwipe MasterCard card can be used to make contactless payments. The biometric authentication replaces the PIN entry, thus enabling cardholders to make payments of any amount, unlike other contactless payment cards on the market."[/B]

The payments space is sure changing fast!