Apple's OS X Yosemite now available for free download with Continuity features, iTunes 12, more

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2014
As promised, Apple's next-generation OS X Yosemite Mac operating system is now available for download through the Mac App Store, bringing with it a host of enhancements like iOS Continuity, a redesigned UI, iTunes 12 and more.

Following an announcement that it would be available later Thursday, OS X Yosemite is live in the U.S. Mac App Store, with international availability expected soon.
Upgrade your Mac to OS X Yosemite and you'll get an elegant design that's both fresh and familiar. The apps you use every day will have powerful new features. And your Mac, iPhone, and iPad will work together in amazing new ways. You'll also get the latest technology and the strongest security. It's like getting a whole new Mac -- for free.
Among the feature additions highlighted by Apple is a new "flat" redesign that borrows from the aesthetic first introduced in iOS 7. The enhanced look includes transparencies, minimized skeuomorphic assets and reduced shadowing. Apple also points out Continuity features that let users place and receive phone calls, send and receive SMS texts and create instant hotspots with a connected iPhone.

In addition, a new AirDrop version allows file transfers between iOS devices and Macs, negating the need to send larger documents through email. For sending huge files to other people, Apple also includes a new iCloud-based email option called Mail Drop, which lets users attach documents up to 5GB in size.

Users can download OS X Yosemite for free through the Mac App Store or via Software Update. The update comes in at 5.16GB and is compatible with OS X 10.6.8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I get an error that says it's not available when I try to download it.
  • Reply 2 of 147

Awesome, I think I will be upgrading over the weekend.

• Reply 3 of 147
    Had to search to find it, then it came up with an error message.
  • Reply 4 of 147

Not finding it.

• Reply 5 of 147
    Its been pulled, can't download
  • Reply 6 of 147
    Downloading now - hopefully it will be a new (fixed) build and not the same DP GM I'm running now, because it has an uncontrolled memory leak with Mail that has forced me to use unibox.
  • Reply 7 of 147
    Amazing they could shove the U2 album down our throats at the speed of light but can't roll out Yosemite. Jeez
  • Reply 8 of 147
    Error message
  • Reply 9 of 147
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Once installed, I'll be curious to know if the BT 4.0 dongles will allow the calling features to work on a non-BT4.0 mac. I'm sort of betting against it.

• Reply 10 of 147
    Originally Posted by phixer64 View Post

Its been pulled…

No, try again. This time without FUD.

• Reply 11 of 147
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    MySQL stop working reliably after installing Mavericks. I will pass on Yosemite.
  • Reply 12 of 147
    There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (null)

<<sigh>>
  • Reply 13 of 147
    Not there yet...still throwing errors on download.

Update after 2 minutes....there's the download!
  • Reply 14 of 147
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I'm downloading it wrong.

• Reply 15 of 147
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Still not available for me either. Error. Try again later.
  • Reply 16 of 147
    Just started downloading.
  • Reply 17 of 147

Well roger me rotten - downloading in the UK - 5.18GB - estimated time is 72 hrs?????? WTFFFFFFF!

• Reply 18 of 147

Servers getting hammered? My iTunes update showed up, started to download then error message.

• Reply 19 of 147

Please share the build number for those of us on GM candidates when you're done installing!

• Reply 20 of 147

Not available yet in German App Store - it shows a "App Store preview" page, I clicked on "Free", I logged in when requested with AppleID and when I tried to download, it didn't work (same error as reported above).

I agree with the post about the U2 Album: that was a breeze. I understand the difference in size, but why did they set up all those fancy server farms? ;)

I might as well go to bed (it's 11:35pm here in Germany now) and do it tomorrow morning....