Ireland to close 'Double Irish' tax loophole in 2015, firms currently using tactic get grace period

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    oldmacs wrote: »

...Its a big finger up to the Australians who are also often overcharged for their products...

You seem confused. Why do you think Apple has premium pricing on their products? If prices are significantly higher in Australia, why might that be? And to top it all off, you want Apple to pay MORE taxes to Australia, which would only serve to add to the cost of goods?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Once again I have to pop in to point out that tax rates in Ireland will still be low. Just not 2%.

If they leave ( and where to?) it will be good riddance.

True, I was more mirroring the post above mine. But also a reflection that economic activity is moveable in this day and age, while countries are not so while Apple may or may not leave depending on their calculation of benefits, Ireland is stuck with the consequences and up until now Ireland clearly thought the current system benefited them and I get the impression this is not being done because it's seen as an improvement for Ireland but rather as a sop for the EU, who's been known to screw member states before.

• Reply 63 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You seem confused. Why do you think Apple has premium pricing on their products? If prices are significantly higher in Australia, why might that be? And to top it all off, you want Apple to pay MORE taxes to Australia, which would only serve to add to the cost of goods?

Right now they pay about 0.7 percent tax rate, instead of the 30 percent other companies pay, but yet we still get charged more. I'd be more inclined to agree with more expensive pricing if Apple was taxed on its full Australian earnings. I want Apple to pay the tax rate that it should be paying, and as it makes a huge profit here, why shouldn't it. That goes for every other company that does the same thing. 

Clearly you all disagree with me and are missing the point I am making so theres no point continuing this argument.

• Reply 64 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    oldmacs wrote: »

They are following the law but its the dodgiest way of doing it. They paid $193 Million tax here since 2002... on a profit of 27 B made here. If they're not going to pay proper company tax instead of playing the dirty game, they don't deserve to operate here. Why should small business bear the weight. They're making enough money to pay some tax. Australian's are often overcharged for their products anyway. 

Do you really think Apple made a profit of 27B in Australia? Apple doesn't do anything in australia. It is avoiding tax in Ireland.

(27B is the total retail sales price. apple Australia's retail revenue is a lot lower than that)

It isn't transfer pricing for Apple to pay taxes on the difference in revenue between the retail value and the wholesale value of an iPhone.

Here's a fact. Without Apple stores in Oz Apple wouldn't have paid any tax at all in Australia ( except maybe import tax ). That's not how it works. Adding the revenue of all Apples products and whining about not paying tax is like complaining that BMW doesn't pay tax on revenues of N billion in Australia. If course not. It pays the taxes in Germany.

Apples issue is it is not paying tax in Ireland or the US. If that is fixed Australia will still only get Apples local retail profits.