Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Now you have to be joking.  Pretty much every other food truck / arts & crafts stall / flea market vendor has an iPad with Square as their POS device.  So while there may be good reasons not to have NFC in the iPad, claiming that the iPad isn't used as a POS device is certainly not one of them.

If you think those foodtrucks/Art Craft Stalls/ Flea Market vendors represent the "MASS" that Apple would target, then iPad sale should be in thousands, not millions.

• Reply 102 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    How many people did you see using iPad to take picture out there? I might have seen a few in the last 4 years...while I see iPhone was used for that task everywhere.
    Again, Apple needs to upgrade the camera because the current one still sucks. For NFC in iPad? Definitely no...because it's a waste.

A lot of people. It's happening more and more. With these better cameras, several writers believe it will become even more common.

I really don't understand why some people, such as you, think there's something wrong with using an iPad for taking pictures. Do you have some sort of warped esthetic sense that is disturbed by this? Does it harm you in any way when they do? I really don't get this. People tell me that they like the large viewfinder, as they can see what they are shooting more easily.

I used to use view cameras, I still have my Linhof 4x5. But I used to use 8x10 as well, so seeing big cameras doesn't bother me. It shouldn't bother you either.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This should have been the chips in iPhone 6+...really.

No, ? X versions are for iPads.

• Reply 104 of 137
    How about the iOS users at Starbucks? For much of the population, that probably represents 90% of the weekly brick and mortar visits, other than the grocery store.

I've been using my iPhone at Starbucks for two years with their app in Passbook. Just point it to the IR scanner, AMD you're done. The only thing annoying is that there's no way to add a tip.

Also, for the first time last week, I used my iPhone as my airline ticket. I bought flights on United. I received a message from them that was a bit weird, as it asked if it was ok for me to receive messages from them. I needed to type yes. Since I bought my tickets, I felt as though I should see what it was about, so I typed yes. I then got an immediate message telling me to click on a link. I did, and there was the ticket! It had a square bar code, and all the info I needed. At the airport, I just went on line to the agent checking the passes, and that was it. No registration. Again when I went on the plane.

When I was going to,leave three days later, the same message to click on a link came up, and again, so did the ticket. Pretty cool. A number of others on the flight also had this. I'm seeing it more and more, but it's the first time for me.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

How about the iOS users at Starbucks? For much of the population, that probably represents 90% of the weekly brick and mortar visits, other than the grocery store.

How is that related for iOS users at Starbucks? It's fking app, not built-in feature. Not all iOS users like to use Starbucks app which requires either CC or PayPal to transfer money or not many of them know about it either. I have Starbucks Apps, but I use cash to pay too sometimes because for unlocking the devices to load the app and make sure there's money left in there. I'd rather pay with cash on hand sometimes. Again...I know all about automatic reloading the Starbucks card and sh.t.

The point is why NFC should not be implemented in the iPad which more than 90% of owners don't carry it with them. Even with those who carry iPad with them, not all will use the feature either. So usage is even less. Apple would not release a feature that cost a lot to implement just for a limited number of users.

• Reply 106 of 137

I see this as a big upgrade.

What the hell are people expecting who claim that this is only minor? Some people are seriously dumb.

The A8X chip is a huge upgrade! That thing is going to be a beast, and I can't wait to be playing games on my new iPad Air 2! Going from 1 billion to 3 billion is minor? Are you retarded? And the graphics performance on it is going to rule!

It's thinner! That's a good thing!

The camera is much better! That's a good thing!

Touch ID is now included! That's a good thing!

The display is now laminated! That's a good thing! I want my icons to be popping out of the screen!

It includes an A8 motion chip! That's a good thing!

It has that new reflective coating! That's a good thing!

Overall, the iPad Air 2 kicks ass, and I can't wait to get my paws on one.

• Reply 107 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

Just checked back on the iphone 6 presentation.

A8 is 25% faster CPU performance and up to 50% faster GPU performance than A7.

Now....

A8X is 40% faster CPU and up to 250% faster GPU versus A7. 

2.5 x =150%, and not 250%!!! ))

• Reply 108 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've been using my iPhone at Starbucks for two years with their app in Passbook. Just point it to the IR scanner, AMD you're done. The only thing annoying is that there's no way to add a tip.

Also, for the first time last week, I used my iPhone as my airline ticket. I bought flights on United. I received a message from them that was a bit weird, as it asked if it was ok for me to receive messages from them. I needed to type yes. Since I bought my tickets, I felt as though I should see what it was about, so I typed yes. I then got an immediate message telling me to click on a link. I did, and there was the ticket! It had a square bar code, and all the info I needed. At the airport, I just went on line to the agent checking the passes, and that was it. No registration. Again when I went on the plane.

When I was going to,leave three days later, the same message to click on a link came up, and again, so did the ticket. Pretty cool. A number of others on the flight also had this. I'm seeing it more and more, but it's the first time for me.

Yes you can add tips after the transaction. I used Starbucks app too, but really, it's not as smooth as I would expected: You have to unlock the phone to use it even in PassBook. Automatic location update is slow. I was at Starbucks drive thru a few minutes until I get to POS window and the app didn't pop up on the locked screen yet.

• Reply 109 of 137

I haven't watched the keynote yet, and have only seen the headlines at AI.

However, it appears that there was nothing unexpected. What was the 'way too long'? The Mac mini? The retina iMac? Seems a bit of a damp squib. I was expecting the revolution of tv. That iMac does sound enticing, though.

And no bigger iPad. Teeth duly gnashed. Will they bring it out in six months or a year's time? Is it worth waiting for or should I just get this new one? I have an iPad 2. I would love a bigger screen for composing, video and reading.

• Reply 110 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I see this as a big upgrade.

What the hell are people expecting who claim that this is only minor? Some people are seriously dumb.

The A8X chip is a huge upgrade! That thing is going to be a beast, and I can't wait to be playing games on my new iPad Air 2! Going from 1 billion to 3 billion is minor? Are you retarded? And the graphics performance on it is going to rule!

It's thinner! That's a good thing!

The camera is much better! That's a good thing!

Touch ID is now included! That's a good thing!

The display is now laminated! That's a good thing! I want my icons to be popping out of the screen!

It includes an A8 motion chip! That's a good thing!

It has that new reflective coating! That's a good thing!

Overall, the iPad Air 2 kicks ass, and I can't wait to get my paws on one.

Available in Gold color! That's a good thing!

So, I expect the next iPhone will be 6.1mm thick or so...really. Never get enough of the thinness, right Apple?

• Reply 111 of 137
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Yes you can add tips after the transaction. I used Starbucks app too, but really, it's not as smooth as I would expected: You have to unlock the phone to use it even in PassBook. Automatic location update is slow. I was at Starbucks drive thru a few minutes until I get to POS window and the app didn't pop up on the locked screen yet.

I think it works pretty well. When I get on line I open it up. Takes all of ten seconds.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    Quote:

I really don't understand why some people, such as you, think there's something wrong with using an iPad for taking pictures. Do you have some sort of warped esthetic sense that is disturbed by this? Does it harm you in any way when they do?

If I'm at a school event and someone in front of me is taking a video on an iPad, it is much more distracting/obstructive than a phone.

Quote:

Yeah, that's VERY freaking handy, and reliable. At the airport, one thing I'm never looking for is my phone -- always know right where it is.

Quote:

How is that related for iOS users at Starbucks? It's fking app, not built-in feature. Not all iOS users like to use Starbucks app which requires either CC or PayPal to transfer money or not many of them know about it either. I have Starbucks Apps, but I use cash to pay too sometimes because for unlocking the devices to load the app and make sure there's money left in there. I'd rather pay with cash on hand sometimes. Again...I know all about automatic reloading the Starbucks card and sh.t.

The point is why NFC should not be implemented in the iPad which more than 90% of owners don't carry it with them. Even with those who carry iPad with them, not all will use the feature either. So usage is even less. Apple would not release a feature that cost a lot to implement just for a limited number of users.

I'm not talking about the app, I'm talking about a valid use case for an iPad Apple Pay integration. Someone using an iPad at Starbucks possibly has it in a more accessible location (their hands) than where their phone is at that moment. This is an instance where paying NFC with an iPad would be neither rare, nor goofy.

• Reply 113 of 137
    I haven't watched the keynote yet, and have only seen the headlines at AI.

However, it appears that there was nothing unexpected. What was the 'way too long'? The Mac mini? The retina iMac? Seems a bit of a damp squib. I was expecting the revolution of tv. That iMac does sound enticing, though.

And no bigger iPad. Teeth duly gnashed. Will they bring it out in six months or a year's time? Is it worth waiting for or should I just get this new one? I have an iPad 2. I would love a bigger screen for composing, video and reading.

It had to have been the Mini. The iPad Pro wasn't really expected. But I believe the new A8x is intended for that. It seems to be too much of a bump for the current rez model.

All of the info out there about the Apple TV is that they are still negotiating with the cable companies, the networks and the production companies. We'll have to wait until something breaks there. We may be seeing the beginning of the flood with the announcements from both HBO and CBS.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    Quote:

Available in Gold color! That's a good thing!

So, I expect the next iPhone will be 6.1mm thick or so...really. Never get enough of the thinness, right Apple?

I want black bezels, so there is only one color option for me.

And getting the 9.7" iPad as thin and light as possible is indeed a good thing. 

• Reply 115 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Will they bring it out in six months or a year's time?

I would have bought the iPad Pro, had it been released today. 

I'm not playing the waiting game though. Life is too short, and the iPad Air 2 does seem to be quite good and powerful.

Worst case scenario, the mythical iPad Pro gets released in a half a years time, and I would just sell my iPad Air 2, and get a decent price for it, and get the iPad Pro, or whatever it's going to be called.

• Reply 116 of 137
    If I'm at a school event and someone in front of me is taking a video on an iPad, it is much more distracting/obstructive than a phone.

I don't know. When my daughter graduated from university last year, there were a number of people videoing with their iPads, including one in front of me. No problem from the iPads. The problem comes from people standing up in order to take photos or video. Their bodies are a wee bit bigger than their iPads.
  • Reply 117 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Will they bring it out in six months or a year's time?

I would have bought the iPad Pro, had it been released today. 

I'm not playing the waiting game though. Life is too short, and the iPad Air 2 does seem to be quite good and powerful.

Worst case scenario, the mythical iPad Pro gets released in a half a years time, and I would just sell my iPad Air 2, and get a decent price for it, and get the iPad Pro, or whatever it's going to be called.

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I'm inclined to do the same. I know that a new iPad will be a huge advance over my lovely iPad 2, so I think I’ll probably just get it; I can always sell it, as you say. 

• Reply 118 of 137
    Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I'm inclined to do the same. I know that a new iPad will be a huge advance over my lovely iPad 2, so I think I’ll probably just get it; I can always sell it, as you say. 

I owned an iPad 2 back when it first came out, I ended up giving it to my mother, who's still very happy with it to this day.

I'm very familiar with the performance on it of course, and going from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air 2 is indeed going to be a huge upgrade.

And yeah, even if an iPad Pro were to get released sometime next year, you can be sure that the iPad Air 2 will still fetch a decent price in the used marketplace.

• Reply 119 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No upgraded display?

May have similar pixels density but far from no upgraded screen. The new screens are much better and similar to the iPhone screens (very bright with uber accurate color).

I have grown to really like Touch ID and now I feel its time to upgrade my iPad 3 even though I think its crap Apple still pushes 16GB models making us buy the 64GB for another $100. Perhaps next year 32GB will be the base amount.

• Reply 120 of 137
    melgross wrote: »
    No, Shiller said that. Same unit for China.

You are incorrect. Schiller said nothing about Apple SIM cards.