Apple releases iTunes 12.0.1 designed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
Shortly after releasing the final public version of OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Apple on Thursday pushed out iTunes 12.0.1 with various design and performance enhancements in line with the company's new Mac operating system.

According to Apple's release notes, iTunes 12.0.1 is "designed for OS X Yosemite," though users of previous Mac operating systems like OS X 10.9 Mavericks can download and use the software.

Along with the usual performance boosts and bug fixes, the newest iTunes revision brings a redesigned interface with translucent elements borrowed from Yosemite. The result is added depth and a cleaner look compared to past software versions.

In addition, users can now activate Family Sharing, a feature that lets customers share music, e-book and app purchases with up to five family members. Family Sharing was introduced with iOS 8 and is now available through Yosemite.

Other tweaks include dedicated icons for music, movies and TV shows, a seamless browsing experience when switching between your library and the iTunes Store and the addition of a Recently Added category that aggregates all newly added content.

Finally, iTunes 12.0.1 features improved playlist editing with side-by-side content panes and improved Get Info windows.

iTunes 12.0.1 can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store or via Software Update.

Apple also issued a security update for OS X 10.9 Mavericks users. The package contents were not detailed, but the download should show up alongside the latest iTunes version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29

What was wrong with the old way of viewing TV shows and their album artwork? What was wrong with being able to see the different artwork for each season?

I miss that. It’d be even prettier than it once was now that we have the UI that intelligently pulls out colors.

• Reply 2 of 29
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    The new Get Info window really isn't an improvement at all:

- Every movie, TV show or home video you add has a release date of 05/06/1905, and it's not possible to change it.
    - You can't add a year to a TV show unless you change its media type to Home Video first (Options tab), then change it back to a TV show.
    - The "Add field" dropdown shows "Always show current fields", and occasionally shows one or two other fields (except Year, see above), but those fields are already present, and so there's no reason to list them in the dropdown.
    - The text fields are non-standard OS X fields.
    - The dropdown generally don't appear (Genre, for example) when you add a new movie, TV show or home video. All you get is the double arrows, so you can't type a genre, you have to select it from the list.

I used to be able to select a video, bring up the Info window, tab to the right fields and type the right stuff. I could add what I wanted in a few seconds. Now, it takes so much longer to do the same thing. This is a backwards step.

I bugged all this with Apple ages ago, but they've not changed anything. Yeah, they're busy, but this is a shambles.

I'd say, don't upgrade to iTunes 12 if you like the way iTunes 11 works at the moment.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

- Every movie, TV show or home video you add has a release date of 05/06/1905, and it's not possible to change it.

Wrong. It’s December 31, 1903. :p Seriously, just manually change the date.

• Reply 4 of 29

Thanks for telling me I'm wrong, but I'm not.

iTunes is showing a Release Date of 05/06/1905 for ALL of my TV shows. When I click on the release date in the Info window, nothing happens. I cannot change it.

Can you change your release dates? If not, try not to be so smarmy next time.

• Reply 5 of 29

I would recommend one of the metadata editing apps in the Mac Store, like iDentity or iFlicks 2.  It's much easier to keep your iTunes metadata correct with them.

• Reply 6 of 29

Can you change your release dates? If not, try not to be so smarmy next time.

Gee, I wonder if I can change my release dates. Maybe if I had said something regarding that earlier…

• Reply 7 of 29
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member

Ick. Not upgrading for now. Upgraded another computer on which I don't really use iTunes, and I'm not liking a lot of the new interface stuff.

• Reply 8 of 29

Let's hope it's a significant improvement (i.e., back to where it once was) compared to the unmitigated disaster that is iTunes 11.4 with OS10.9.5.

I cannot tell you how much time and effort I've wasted, given my fairly large music library, in the process of switching to the iPhone 6. So much so that I've gone back to my trusty old 150GB iPod Classic (sniff) for my music listening.

• Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

- You can't add a year to a TV show unless you change its media type to Home Video first (Options tab), then change it back to a TV show.

- The "Add field" dropdown shows "Always show current fields", and occasionally shows one or two other fields (except Year, see above), but those fields are already present, and so there's no reason to list them in the dropdown.

- The dropdown generally don't appear (Genre, for example) when you add a new movie, TV show or home video. All you get is the double arrows, so you can't type a genre, you have to select it from the list.

I used to be able to select a video, bring up the Info window, tab to the right fields and type the right stuff. I could add what I wanted in a few seconds. Now, it takes so much longer to do the same thing. This is a backwards step.

I bugged all this with Apple ages ago, but they've not changed anything. Yeah, they're busy, but this is a shambles.

I'd say, don't upgrade to iTunes 12 if you like the way iTunes 11 works at the moment.

Yikes, apparently not. The update sounds like crap. I'll wait.

Apple really needs to focus their software efforts on getting right the less sexy stuff like iTunes and Mail -- basic things that a vast majority of consumers use a great deal of time -- instead of silly eye-candy tweaks ("flat, translucent surface") and geek-functionality upgrades ("application launching spotlight") to OSX and iOS.

• Reply 10 of 29
    Side-by-side content panes? I read the new iTunes on-line help guide and didn't see anything pointing that out. In the past, I could have a window open with my songs and another window open for a playlist, and drag between the two windows. That's what I'd like to do again.
  • Reply 11 of 29

Awesome updates ?!   :) 

• Reply 12 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

Ick. Not upgrading for now. Upgraded another computer on which I don't really use iTunes, and I'm not liking a lot of the new interface stuff.

im not crazy about some of it either, but one thing i know -- they aren't going to go back to the old designs.

• Reply 13 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

problem updating mine -- it doesn't seem to take. after clicking, downloading, installing...it puts it into the history log below as installed, yet the updater keeps reporting theres a new 12.0.1 to install. did it three times and manually rebooted, did it a fourth time. weird.

• Reply 14 of 29
    Works fine. Really don't use iTunes for much apart from my annual iDevice wipe and restore, and for listening to music on the computer. The new version will do that as well as the old.
  • Reply 15 of 29

I really don't get you. I said I can't change the dates. You said, "Seriously, just manually change the date." I cannot; it's not possible, as explained.

So, either you misunderstand, or you're just being a d!ck?

• Reply 16 of 29
    darkpaw wrote: »
    I really don't get you. I said I can't change the dates. You said, "Seriously, just manually change the date." I cannot; it's not possible, as explained.

Just my initial impression, but it sounds to me like you need to locate the original video file through the Finder, then change the permissions setting. Once you change file permissions to "anyone" (?) you should be able to make changes in iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    darkpaw wrote: »

Add to that the Info Panel stopping me after ?1, ?2, ?3 as the 3rd tab is the Lyrics tab, so running down ?1-6 doesn't work anymore. Also reordering those tabs is freaking annoying.

That's yet another 'troubling iTunes release'. Problem is, everyone upgrading to 10.10 is getting iTunes 12 without giving permission to do so. Probably because it's not part of iLife anymore. That's all fine and dandy, but I want to know if I can simply restore v11 from backup.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I have just upgraded and am very disappointed. On the movie info, fields are missing and cannot be added. When adding the movie image, you better be correct on the first try because you cannot replace the old image just add another next to it. Obviously, this was not tested thoroughly in model office and definitely not by outside BETA testers. It must have been built for a specific person's dream and not for the public. This was a great product before this release. I have just one question. How can I remove this release and replace it with the previous release without losing all my movie information?
  • Reply 19 of 29

It's not a permissions issue; it's iTunes not allowing me to edit the field. I can edit all the other fields on there, but not this one.

• Reply 20 of 29

Another item concerning movie info.  In 11.4, the artists (main stars of a movie) have been converted in 12.0.1 to directors of the movie.  When you have several hundred movies, this can be upsetting to say the least.