Revamped iWork apps for Mac, iOS roll out with Handoff and iCloud Drive support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2014
Continuing the stream of software updates launched on Thursday tied to the launch of OS X Yosemite, Apple released redesigned iWork for Mac and iOS suites with built-in support for iOS Continuity features and iCloud Drive.

Apple's latest updates to Pages, Numbers and Keynote bring a host of new features promised as part of Apple's Continuity initiative, which brings iOS and OS X integration to the fore.

Handoff, for example, is a tentpole Continuity feature and allows users to switch off between iPad, Mac and iPhone when browsing the Web, writing an email, viewing a map or conducting other operations in compatible software. With iWork, this means users can swap off when creating or editing iOS versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote projects.

In addition to Handoff, all iWork apps get support for iCloud Drive, Apple's cross-platform file storage and syncing solution. With iCloud Drive, users have access to advanced features like document editing and asset tagging, along with drag-and-drop data management functionality.

The Mac versions of Apple's iWork suite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, with Pages coming in at 293MB, Numbers at 191MB and Keynote at 408.2MB. iOS versions have also been updated and weigh in at 278MB for Pages, 232.2MB for Numbers and 461MB for Keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    the iCloud Drive access in iOS shown in the demo - is that an 8.1 thing - or an app store download now?
  • Reply 2 of 16

I am running Yosemite 10.10 GM Candidate Version 3 that I downloaded last week is this the newest version?

• Reply 3 of 16
    Originally Posted by grilla View Post

I am running Yosemite 10.10 GM Candidate Version 3 that I downloaded last week is this the newest version?

No.

Never stick with GMs anyway. Always get the release.

• Reply 4 of 16
    best thing is that documents are files again rather than silly hidden folders
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grilla View Post

No, GM3 is build 14A388a. The drop today is 14A389.

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

the iCloud Drive access in iOS shown in the demo - is that an 8.1 thing - or an app store download now?

No such thing. You're seeing the iCloud Drive "open" dialog. It's present in iOS 8.0. Go to the new Pages, press +, press iCloud. Alternatively, open Dropbox, add a file, press iCloud.

• Reply 7 of 16
    Does Handoff work with iPad2?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow, so fucking happy they updated the file format so you can actually attach to gmail without getting errors etc.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I am not showing the iWork suite as free in my App Store. Anyone else having this issue?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I am still showing the price for Pages, Keynote, and Numbers as $19.99 in the Mac App Store. Anyone else having this issue? I am now running Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I am running OS 10.10 (Yosemite) and the iWork suite is still showing a price of $19.99 for each app. Anyone else having this problem?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Mavericks (on my computer) is listing Numbers, Pages, and Keynote as "incompatible" updates.

Edit: Yep - App Store shows "Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later".
  • Reply 13 of 16

And now GarageBand is a paid $5 upgrade.

• Reply 14 of 16
    What I would like to know: is Pages the old Pages again? Still waiting for that.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

What I would like to know: is Pages the old Pages again? Still waiting for that.

Still doesn't look like any Mail Merge...  Jeez, I sure would like to upgrade...

• Reply 16 of 16
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Maybe I'm hearing things but was under impression iWorks was free? It's not!