Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

May have similar pixels density but far from no upgraded screen. The new screens are much better and similar to the iPhone screens (very bright with uber accurate color).

I have grown to really like Touch ID and now I feel its time to upgrade my iPad 3 even though I think its crap Apple still pushes 16GB models making us buy the 64GB for another $100. Perhaps next year 32GB will be the base amount.

I suppose it's costs. The build cost for the base iPad remains the same, but costs for NAND falls. So the base price remains the same, but the upgrade price drops by a hundred bucks. That's good, not bad. I doubt we'll see a 32GB version unless NAND drops enough for Apple to go from that to maybe 128. But that would be too big a jump.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    lundkeman wrote: »
    You are incorrect. Schiller said nothing about Apple SIM cards.

I'm not talking about SIM cards. I'm talking about the iPad itself being compatible with those networks. The sims themselves aren't really all that important. It's just a bit of inconvenience.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

May have similar pixels density but far from no upgraded screen. The new screens are much better and similar to the iPhone screens (very bright with uber accurate color).

I have grown to really like Touch ID and now I feel its time to upgrade my iPad 3 even though I think its crap Apple still pushes 16GB models making us buy the 64GB for another $100. Perhaps next year 32GB will be the base amount.

The display is definitely upgraded and improved. No more gaps, that's huge for an iPad! I'm glad that they didn't increase the pixel count. I want super performance on the current retina display, not more pixels, which comes at the cost of performance. Also I forgot to mention the world's most anti-reflective display on any tablet!

As for the RAM prices, I'm not complaining. The last iPad I bought, I paid $100 more to get 32GB, now that same $100 will get me 64GB, so it's a better deal than the last time I bought an iPad.

• Reply 124 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm just wondering when this goes on sale?

In six hours and 15 minutes? I might have to be up a bit later tonight, because I definitely want one as quick as possible, and I don't want to take the chance on any sold out scenario happening, or delayed shipping dates.

• Reply 125 of 137
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm not talking about SIM cards. I'm talking about the iPad itself being compatible with those networks. The sims themselves aren't really all that important. It's just a bit of inconvenience.

You need to quite being an a??. I posted a remark over 5 hours ago about an apple sim. You reply to me phil talked about it on the keynote, which he did not. Now u come back with apple sim no big deal, yet a couple hours after my original post Apple Insider now has an article about it. As do many other tech sites, none of which I saw this on. I found it by trying to order an iPad air 2 and noticed after selecting wifi-cellular model, that it did not ask me for a carrier. But there was a note about carrier details, that I clicked and saw, then posted about it.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    Pretty bad when most of Phil's presentation was spent on the camera. Sigh. And considering we're an hour into the presentation my guess is this is it for iPads.

the camera in our devices is perhaps the most exciting thing about them, especially for normal consumers. the camera defines how we see, and how we remember, the world around us.

On an iPad? No.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    paul94544 wrote: »
    sierrajeff wrote: »

I said "some nice new internals".  Didn't think I'd have to specifically acknowledge and heap praise on each one, before moving on to the substance of the response.

And aesthetics is objective; I don't care if it's even a great seller, I personally think that the gold is tacky.  But regardless (because unlike some commenters on here [not you], I don't think my personal impression should rule the world), my point is that I find it underwhelming when they tout it as though it's some great perk.
    hey some of my best friends have Gold iPhones myself included, I'm insulted, I expect a sincere apology

No need to be insulted.

It's okay to like a tacky colour.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. When my daughter graduated from university last year, there were a number of people videoing with their iPads, including one in front of me. No problem from the iPads. The problem comes from people standing up in order to take photos or video. Their bodies are a wee bit bigger than their iPads.

The other part is the lighting. Often, the audience lights are out, and the big tablet screens are as bright as the stage and really stand out even if they're not in the line of site.

Maybe I should just bring a small squirt gun to the events :P 

• Reply 129 of 137

People talking about and complaining about NFC here... but the Air 2 has Apple Pay... I thought Apple Pay was Apple's answer to NFC? If it is, why are people here talking about the IPad Air 2 not having NFC?

• Reply 130 of 137
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

why are people here talking about the IPad Air 2 not having NFC?

Well, MOSTLY because, you know, it DOESN'T HAVE NFC! :-)

• Reply 131 of 137

12:04 am is the time here on the west coast, the iPad Air 2 is still not selectable for sale. I will wait a little longer, then try again when I wake up in the morning.

OK, now it is 12:15, still not available, despite the website saying it is for sale today the 17th. Too tired, trying later.

• Reply 132 of 137
    lundkeman wrote: »
    You need to quite being an a??. I posted a remark over 5 hours ago about an apple sim. You reply to me phil talked about it on the keynote, which he did not. Now u come back with apple sim no big deal, yet a couple hours after my original post Apple Insider now has an article about it. As do many other tech sites, none of which I saw this on. I found it by trying to order an iPad air 2 and noticed after selecting wifi-cellular model, that it did not ask me for a carrier. But there was a note about carrier details, that I clicked and saw, then posted about it.

Fine, so we talked past each other. But if you fling another insult, you are out of here.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    People talking about and complaining about NFC here... but the Air 2 has Apple Pay... I thought Apple Pay was Apple's answer to NFC? If it is, why are people here talking about the IPad Air 2 not having NFC?

ApplePay consists of two components. A NFC chip in iPhone 6/6+ (and watch when it comes) which enables payment in retail stores which support it. The other part is for Internet shopping and as well as iPhone 6/6+ is supported on IPad. For apps (and maybe sites I'm not sure) you will be able to pay via ApplePay using TouchID to confirm the purchase.
  • Reply 134 of 137
    Apple Announces iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iMac With 5K Retina Display, Mac Mini Updates, Yosemite and iOS8.1
    http://techholo.com/computers/apple-announces-ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-imac-with-5k-retina-display-mac-mini-updates-yosemite-and-ios8-1/
  • Reply 135 of 137

Apple Announces iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iMac With 5K Retina Display, Mac Mini Updates, Yosemite and iOS8.1

http://techholo.com/computers/apple-announces-ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-imac-with-5k-retina-display-mac-mini-updates-yosemite-and-ios8-1/

• Reply 136 of 137

Looking forward for the anti reflective coating...and the outcry of the owners once they face the same problem as the Macbook Retina  owners...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27778212?ac_cid=tw123456#27778212