First look: Eyes-on with the new iMac's super-resolution 5K Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And perhaps another "this too" for no standalone display just yet?

Well, if you can live with 4K, then get a $400 28" 4K with Mac Mini and mounting hardware in the back of the monitor...there, you'll have your home-made iMac for less than half of the price.

• Reply 22 of 91
    I am going to enjoy all these trolls complaining that everything will be too small at that resolution.

"When I type 5000k into windows controlPanel/screenResolution/screenSize it looks terrible. Apple must be mad etc etc"

Hee hee ;)
  • Reply 23 of 91

Seems mostly for professionals and not consumers. Does the itunes store have any 4k content? Do they have a superdrive that supports 4k video ?

• Reply 24 of 91
    Seems mostly for professionals and not consumers. Does the itunes store have any 4k content? Do they have a superdrive that supports 4k video ?
    4K is hardly available in any content right now especially on a physical format.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Do they have a superdrive that supports 4k video ?

Apple doesn’t sell computers with optical drives and who would care anyway?

• Reply 26 of 91
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Just ordered mine, should have it Monday. Pretty damn excited.

Does anyone have any idea if there is ANY reason why I shouldn't order RAM from Crucial (meant for the 2013) model...it appears identical to me?

• Reply 27 of 91
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

kinda want Apple to release a wireless keyboard with number pad.

I know only 1% of users want that but kinda sucks for me.

That old story again Bullwinkle?. Apple doesn't speak to the financial world - only artistes.

• Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple doesn’t sell computers with optical drives and who would care anyway?

The millions of blu-ray owners that also own Macs. :rolleyes: 

• Reply 29 of 91

I hope the screen does smear and streak as easily as the last one.

• Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm surprised that Apple haven't completely phased out HDDs yet. It must be one of the bulkiest and least reliable components in an iMac.

Actually, on an iMac, it's probably a tight sell on that last criterium. It is a SLOW component, for sure. Bulky, hell yes. Goes with cheap and TB-size, though. Reliable? SSD is not reliable for that long compared to a HDD. Of course, you want real reliability, you get microfilms, or slabs of granite that you engrave and store in a cave covered in nice and dandy clay.

• Reply 31 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    kindredmac wrote: »
    4K is hardly available in any content right now especially on a physical format.

There is quite a lot of excellent material in 4k on YouTube. Some of mine included.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That old story again Bullwinkle?. Apple doesn't speak to the financial world - only artistes.

Well, several big 3D modeler softwares require the numpad to work at maximum efficiency. Yesterday, I bought two new keyboards for my guys for exactly that reason. (Also, we have problems with the MacPro, and I have to say, the Irish support team is outstanding).

• Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is quite a lot of excellent material in 4k on YouTube. Some of mine included.

Kayak fishing tutorials?

• Reply 34 of 91

I did a double-take during the Apple demo of the 5K Retina Display this morning when they showed a lovely panoramic photo of Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise / Banff area in Alberta, Canada); I was standing in close to that exact spot a few weeks ago taking the same photo on my iPhone 5S. "It's deja vu all over again..."

• Reply 35 of 91
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The millions of blu-ray owners that also own Macs. :rolleyes: 

I don't think apple ever shipped a blu ray player in a mac.

• Reply 36 of 91
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And perhaps another "this too" for no standalone display just yet?

Well, if you can live with 4K, then get a $400 28" 4K with Mac Mini and mounting hardware in the back of the monitor...there, you'll have your home-made iMac for less than half of the price.

Of course, but I'm not really in the market just now.  

Simply likening this to all our earlier speculations regarding 

iPhone 6's jumping from 16gb to 64gb as sort of 'forcing' that upgrade choice.

• Reply 37 of 91
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Yeah, wondering why the long overdue replacement for the aging and questionable value Thunderbolt Display was not part of the announcement. I imagine they are struggling to figure out how to fit it into the portfolio. They could easily justify selling it for $1500-$2000 a pop. If I'm a MacPro owner I'd be feeling a bit left out of the party right now. Not sure if the current MacPro video can support multiple 5K monitors so maybe they're waiting for the next MacPro refresh to bring the TB2 5K monitors to market. That would be my guess.
  • Reply 38 of 91

Yup, this is the one I'm getting!

And look at the number of eyes on that insect! Guillermo del Toro must have just had an orgasm looking at that...

• Reply 39 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    kindredmac wrote: »

Not for video but photos are often ~4K or higher now, even from the iPhone and 1080p video upscaled to 5K will look better than 1080p video on a 1080p/1440p display. Text on web pages will look sharper too and it gives the option to run at a larger scale for people who have poor eyesight.
    dewme wrote:
    Not sure if the current MacPro video can support multiple 5K monitors so maybe they're waiting for the next MacPro refresh to bring the TB2 5K monitors to market. That would be my guess.

I think the current MP uses Displayport 1.2, which supports 4K, DP 1.3 supports 5K. I expected the MP refresh at this event too but it will move to Broadwell unlike Haswell refresh in all the other Macs. The E5-2697v3 is available for sale in component stores. It's not like they have to rush these things out though, they can come any time between now and WWDC 2015.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

Yes - where are the retina displays for Mac Pro users? 

I'd like to see Retina displays in various monitor sizes:  my personal preference is 21inch (x2). Presumably, Apple would also make a 27inch or larger size for those who prefer 1 large display.

Also, the new Retina iMac is now almost certainly faster than the Mac Pro (on the CPU side) ... which doesn't seem very fair.