IDG cancels Macworld/iWorld 2015 conference, says show 'going on hiatus'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I think that's probably the main reason along with a lack of compelling products to go to a trade show to see but also that MacWorld has a more limited audience. They'd show off things like Thunderbolt products but why do people really need to see them in person? CES is huge though:

http://www.cesweb.org

The companies that normally went to MacWorld can go there instead.

http://www.cesweb.org/Why-attend-CES/2013-Attendee-Audit
    CES is a very different kind of show, though. It's very seriously closed - they have cracked down on attendees who are not in the industry (specifically Consumer Electronics) or media (gone are the days you can just say you're a journalist to get in). MacWorld was open to the public.

The content is also different. There are a lot of conference tracks running continuously (as opposed to 3 or 4 at MacWorld). Also, and this is probably the important bit, MacWorld was about connecting consumers with products. CES is about connecting manufacturers with resellers. It is very much a "trade fair".

Another important thing to remember about CES is that it's not a computer show. It's a Consumer Electronics show. So even with Microsoft pulling out, they still have LG, Samsung, Sony, Ford, etc.
    zoetmb wrote: »

While there are still some shows that attract crowds and seem to do pretty well, I think the exhibition industry is slowly dying, which is why I laugh when some politician proposes a new or expanded conference center.   The web, as well as changes to the retail industry in the U.S. (like huge consolidation and the dominance of national chains) has made many of these shows unnecessary (and unprofitable).    But it's not always logical which shows succeed and which don't.   And consumer shows will have a longer life than trade shows, although obviously not for MacWorld. 

I think that Apple's abandonment of MacWorld combined with the advent of Apple retail locations and sites like this one have killed that show.   What does anyone need to know about the Mac that they're not going to be able to find out on the web or by visiting an Apple store?
    That's fine for Apple. And Microsoft, and Samsung, etc. The problem is the companies that don't have that kind of profile. Unfortunately, shows like MacWorld are mostly funded by the big names attending and drawing people in, so that they can offer cheaper arrangements to the smaller companies.

I'm not arguing that IDG need to keep MacWorld going purely for the benefit of the smaller companies, either. If they're not making money on it, then it's not in their interest to run it. I just think it's kind of sad that it's going this way.
    ComicCon obviously does spectacularly well (I think the NY edition, which was held last week sold out in advance in four hours).   But the genius strategy of that show is that you have to be there so you can show off your costume.    Or you have to be there so you can laugh at everyone in their costumes.   Or you go because you want autographs from stars or creators.   The exhibit booths are almost secondary in appeal.
    ComicCon, again, is different. As with MacWorld, it's about connecting fans with the product (and the makers of the product). Also, the industry still buys in to announcing things there.

It's also a fan event. It's not about back channel deals. Sure, some people turn up with the hope of getting some time with Joe Quesada or Dan Didio in the hopes of getting commissioned, but that's not what the show is about. (Also, it's not a particularly good strategy for getting your comic made.)
    CES still does really well (over 100,000 attendees), but I have to wonder why since the original purpose of the show was to display new wares to independent electronics retailers so they could make buying and inventory decisions and there simply aren't that many anymore.    I think it's really become more of a show for the press and for consumers who sneak in as pros.    My bet is that within a few years, at least some days of that show get opened to the public
    Despite what I said above, they already do. The Friday, or maybe Saturday (can't remember off the top of my head) is open to "Enthusiasts" which is a fairly low entry point, not requiring strict industry affiliation. 
    Who here has attended MacWorld since Apple dropped out?
    My first MacWorld SF was 2010, the one they announced they wouldn't be attending. I also went this year, which may now be the last ever. In 2010, everyone was still hopeful, and many other big vendors had already committed when Apple pulled out. (As had I, I'd booked flights and everything.) This year, there were very few big vendors. There were a lot of interesting smaller vendors, though, that I wouldn't normally have heard about. As I mentioned earlier, these are the people who were best serviced by the expo. It's easy to get attention on the internet when you're already a big player, but if you're a small operation with a very small publicity budget, you have to count on someone in the media picking you out, or going to shows like this and getting attention that way.

If shows like this go away, then you have to look at new strategies. Maybe they're going to have to, since these shows do seem to be going away. Still, I miss the old shows where you showed up, and you could get stuff cheap, and everyone was throwing T-Shirts and tchotchkes at you, and you got an offer to buy a copy of Avid for $50 and a photocopy of your Hypercard floppies.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Seeing SJ intro the iMac in NYC was pretty awesome.

Went with a number of friends & colleagues and had a blast.

Back then we were the minority and everyone thought we were nuts for not using windows.

What a difference 18 or so years makes.

Viva la underdog!