Apple's iPad Air 2 eschews physical orientation lock switch in favor of software control

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    But why move it to the side on the iPhone? What do you think was the reasoning there?

Natural for your thumb to rest there if you're holding it right handed, and your index finger if you're holding it left handed. Works fine.
  • Reply 22 of 55

Natural for your thumb to rest there if you're holding it right handed, and your index finger if you're holding it left handed. Works fine.

From my pov, that's a problem not a solution. I thought that was precisely what was brilliant about putting the on/off button on top.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    At 6.1mm it's even thinner than an iPhone 6! #bendgateeeeeeeee
  • Reply 24 of 55
    From my pov, that's a problem not a solution. I thought that was precisely what was brilliant about putting the on/off button on top.

Except it feels like a stretch to reach the top of the phone when you're holding it one handed, which was Apple's design goal for the 6.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    droidftw wrote: »

There are bound to be apps in Apple's app store that can automate that for you.  Just setup your device to silence and un-silence itself based on the time (if you have a set schedule) or based on your location.
    FTFY
  • Reply 26 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    I hope they revisit that design decision.  I've not purchased a new phone (yet), but I've handled the new ones at the nearby AT&T.  I've only ever used my 4S's volume-up button to trigger the shutter, and now the power button relocation means I'd have to start thinking about hand positioning all over again.  (Granted, this is a first-world problem.)

I agree with Apple here. The reviewers also seem to think it's better on the sides with bigger phones. I do t mind doing it differently. I rarely use that off button because it's inconvenient on the top for me. The side will be more natural.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    But why move it to the side on the iPhone? What do you think was the reasoning there?

It's harder to reach on the top with bigger phones, and Apple has to make them consistant, so both phones got it.
  • Reply 28 of 55

Noooooo.......!!

Is there a way to mute email/notification sound without a mute switch while listening to music through headphones?

This is a big feature for me.. I hate being disturbed with headphones on - music sound dims when emails arrive, which is super annoying... :/

I think the DND mode even stops the notification banner from appearing for email/sms, which isn't quite what i want...

Surely there's a way around this...?

• Reply 29 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Ah, so that's what that button I've never used on my iPads is for. Will not be missed.
  • Reply 30 of 55

I've grown accustomed to using the button for orientation lock. It may take me a while to get used to not using it.

It was easier for me to just toggle the switch then to swipe up on the screen, tap the orientation lock and then swipe down again.

• Reply 31 of 55
    Removing the mute switch was a mistake by Apple.

For those of us who work, it's essential to mute it regularly, so as not to disturb. Now, instead of one simple flick of a switch, it will be necessary to hold down on the volume and wait for it to descend to zero. That makes it several times slower. Not only that, but you will lose the volume position that you had before. Turning the volume back on will also be orders of magnitude slower.

Steve Jobs would not have done this.

What a silly decision to remove essential functionality. I suspect there's a little too much drug-taking going on in Cupertino.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    melgross wrote: »

It's harder to reach on the top with bigger phones, and Apple has to make them consistant, so both phones got it.

But it's still at the top. They screwed up here, also with Reachability and having the notifications still popping up at the top.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to call the 6+ a phone anyway, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    I personally do hate that they placed the on/off button on the side. Whenever I was using an android phablet - I always pushed the side button by accident. I do believe that the same story will be with 6/6+...

Also, getting rid of this switch is on par with getting rid of camera roll, in my opinion. Stupid decision. I think they got rid of it to get the weight reduction digits (it is just 30 gramms, so maybe with button they had the about same weight? I know it is thinner, still)

Also about the mechanical parts, and that they are prone to be broken. I haven't heard once - when someone had a broken mute-switch, have you?
  • Reply 34 of 55

Except it feels like a stretch to reach the top of the phone when you're holding it one handed, which was Apple's design goal for the 6.

I think that 'one-handed 6' -- especially 6+ -- is an oxymoron. Unless you're a basketball player.

That said, I should point out that this is all a minor quibble. I love the 6.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    konqerror wrote: »
    . Maybe because you hold the iPhone with one hand (left for most people, so you can take notes with your right), whereas the iPad is a two-handed device.

90%+ of my iPad use is in landscape mode (I am quite sure I am not the only one for whom that is true), which effectively makes the 'top' button a 'side' button, so this is a moot point.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Benjamin Frost - If you need to mute your iPad regularly while at work then you are probably spending too much time trying to be aware of when you are being annoying. Mute it leave it muted and stop being annoying.

You have no idea what Steve Jobs would have done.

Are you judging other people's drug use on your use?

Do you have an iPad Air 2 so you can accurately judge this issue?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Is this available to all countries for purchase?
  • Reply 38 of 55

The lock switch is outdated and I'm glad they got rid of it. If I was an Apple designer, I would even test a unit with no buttons at all to see how it works and looks. Volume can also be fully software controlled.

• Reply 39 of 55
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Apple has removed a moving part from the iPad's design, reducing the potential for hardware failures.

I don't think that many lock switches have failed... ever. 

But anyway, though I loved the convenience of the orientation lock, I'm not too sad to see it go.

• Reply 40 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    If I was an Apple designer, I would even test a unit with no buttons at all to see how it works and looks. Volume can also be fully software controlled.

And how would you put it in DFU mode?