iPhone 6 Plus accounts for one-quarter of new iPhone sales, expected to boost Apple's margins

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    slurpy wrote: »
     And yes, the larger screen was also the #1 Android draw. Anyone that think otherwise is delusional. 99% of consumers don't care about "open", "customizability" or other horse-shit. They buy what the carrier recommends, what their friends recommend, or what looks shiny in the store. And now, the 6/6+ have the "shiny" factor locked up. 

I absolutely agree.
  • Reply 42 of 57

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I've been saying the whole time that sales would be 4:1. That's 4 iPhone 6's to 1 iPhone 6 though for China I expect it to be even maybe a bit higher for the 6 because Phablets are very popular in China being as most people only have the 1 device to do everything on.

Myself, I ended up getting the 6 with 128 Gig's. Why not, I help onto my 4 for 4 years, so I hold onto my cell phones for quite a while. It was cool when backing up my 32 gig iPhone 4 into itunes and almost being full, and then Restoring onto my 6 and seeing a mostly empty bar.

I think iPads should start at 64 Gig's just because you use up space so FAST! 16 Gig's on a iPhone is just silly.

Depends which of the 2 surveys you go by. The first says 2.6:1 and the other goes all the way to 4:1, 6:6+.

• Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I did just that with my iphone 6 purchase.  For me, 32GB will be the sweet spot, but definitely need larger than 16GB.  Hope the iphone 6S variants will start at 32GB next summer.

I think we will always need 16GB for those who are not taking pictures or videos or at least they think they don't need the extra memory.  This will cover a lower entry price and allows buyers to appreciate the quality of the phone and the ecosystem.

• Reply 44 of 57
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You are answering questions directed at other members... 

It’s a semi-public forum. If the question isn’t personal, of course he’s answering it.

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

your answer is irrelevant to me.

But that’s meaningless. All that matters is the real answer.

• Reply 45 of 57
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

While the media and Apple critics scoffed at the Apple statements along the lines of "we'll do the larger screen phones when there are no compromises", I believe the success of the 6/6+ is absolutely because of Apple's attention to detail and it did take time to get it right.  This wasn't just a "bigger phone".  The redesigned case with rounded edges & how it meets the screen, the display itself, the materials, the thinness, how it feels in hand, etc.  All was very important to get people to not only accept a larger iPhone, but to come and see them as the best iPhones yet.  The technology to do the iPhone 6/6+ (as it is done today with the thinness and display) did not exist two years ago, to do so in a massively scalable way without greatly increasing costs.

When I looked at (and still look at) large Samsung devices, they just look and feel "huge".  The iPhone looks and feels significantly better.  That isn't by accident.  Many will say that Apple now has caught up with a "larger phone" like everyone else, completely missing that its success was designed, not marketed.

• Reply 46 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    trubador wrote: »
    I finally got my first iPhone yesterday. The iPhone 6 64gb in Space Gray. And I'm lovin' it :-)

Good for you. Enjoy it.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    The iPhone users of the newer versions do not feel the need to replace their devices yet, the data from ComScore survey reflects. They are still comfortable with their handheld devices, and feel that the upcoming product would not be too different from what they are having right now.

http://businesswolf.org/chart-the-iphone-6-lots-of-people-are-getting-ready-to-upgrade/
  • Reply 48 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mehran wrote: »

I think we will always need 16GB for those who are not taking pictures or videos or at least they think they don't need the extra memory.  This will cover a lower entry price and allows buyers to appreciate the quality of the phone and the ecosystem.

Wrong. The fact Apple is selling the 64GB for the same price they sold the 32GB last year demonstrates clearly how the price of memory keeps dropping. Apple is capitalizing on the huge margins they are making on the 16GB selling it for the same price as they did last year even though it costs them less. And the fact is, as the iOS gets more bloated as it does more and more each generation, this is likely the last year Apple can offer a base model with only 16GB. Next year 32GB chips will cost even less, and Apple will offer that as the new base model configuration without sacrificing margins.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s a semi-public forum. If the question isn’t personal, of course he’s answering it.

But that’s meaningless. All that matters is the real answer.

The question was personal.

I was asking thataveragejoe a specific question that only he can answer for me.

What you or any other person says is irrelevant to me. I wanted to know what he/she was thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you are saying there is no demand for a 4 inch iPhone?

... and, again... which people? (I remember one person saying the 6+ would be cancelled)

Notice the qualifier (in bold)... "you".

• Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Wrong. The fact Apple is selling the 64GB for the same price they sold the 32GB last year demonstrates clearly how the price of memory keeps dropping. Apple is capitalizing on the huge margins they are making on the 16GB selling it for the same price as they did last year even though it costs them less. And the fact is, as the iOS gets more bloated as it does more and more each generation, this is likely the last year Apple can offer a base model with only 16GB. Next year 32GB chips will cost even less, and Apple will offer that as the new base model configuration without sacrificing margins.

The jump from 16 to 64 is meant to get more people to spend the $100. It's working in our family. When we get the new iP 6 and iPA both will have 64... prior to this we had 16 gb in both... and only needed a bit more in the iP 4S but not our iPad.

• Reply 51 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The fact Apple is selling the 64GB for the same price they sold the 32GB last year demonstrates clearly how the price of memory keeps dropping.

Yup. And upgrading a 16GB to a 32GB is now a $50 increase instead of $100:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart
  • Reply 52 of 57
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yup. And upgrading a 16GB to a 32GB is now a $50 increase instead of $100:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart

There are no 32gb models. What used to be a $200 price difference between the 16GB, and the 64gb is now only $100.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There are no 32gb models. What used to be a $200 price difference between the 16GB, and the 64gb is now only $100.

There are for the original Air, hence the link.
  • Reply 54 of 57

The link defaults to a comparison between the iPad Air 2, and the iPad mini 3. I tried posting a link comparing the 2 iPads Air, and it did the same thing.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    dasanman69 wrote: »

The link defaults to a comparison between the iPad Air 2, and the iPad mini 3. I tried posting a link comparing the 2 iPads Air, and it did the same thing.

That's odd, mine gives me all 5 iPads on a row:

• Reply 56 of 57
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I think the fact that the iPhone margin has stayed roughly the same over the last number of years (actually peaking with the iPhone 4s I believe) implies that Apple is using the reduced cost of the Flash memory to account for incremental expenses in the BOM elsewhere (TouchID sensor, screen technology, etc).  As another data point, the estimated cost of iPhone (by 3rd parties of course, so still just a guess) has stayed roughly the same as well.  So yes Apple is using that cost decrease, but they aren't "gouging" the consumer on the BOM cost anymore than in the past.  The margins are not consistently increasing in each iPhone generation.  If Apple offered 32GB across the base model, it would have a margin impact.  And as others have said, is it possible to essentially (almost) double the Flash storage in the iPhone & iPad line, as that is effectively what would happen.  Would the prices go up due to supply imbalance?  Could Apple obtain that much Flash?

That being said, I personally would love it if they did give 32GB as the entry level.  I am sure that at some point in their iPhone/iPad roadmap this is something they execute on as a means to maintain people upgrading & keeping price levels up.