Apple's online store begins taking preorders for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Ahead of next week's launch, Apple's online store on Friday began taking presales of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, its new Touch ID-equipped tablets being introduced for the holiday shopping season.

The company's store went offline early Friday morning, and returned after a downtime of more than three hours. The iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 do not have a specific launch date, though the store advertises that new orders will ship in two to four business days.

The iPad Air 2 starts at $499, while the iPad mini 3 has an entry price of $399.

The highlight of this year's update is clearly the iPad Air 2, which features an 18 percent thinner design, an anti-reflective laminated display, improved cameras, and a beefed up A8X processor. AppleInsider went hands-on with the iPad Air 2 on Thursday and were impressed by the 6.1-millimeter-thick device, which is even thinner than the new iPhone 6.

Both the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 have also been outfitted with Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensing home button. This will allow users to bypass lock screen passwords on their tablet, download iTunes and App Store purchases without entering an Apple ID password, access secure third-party apps, and also verify online purchases with Apple Pay.

And the new iPads are also available in a gold color option, and capacities of 16, 64, and 128 gigabytes at $100 tiers. LTE-capable models carry a $130 premium.

The 7.9-inch iPad mini 3, meanwhile, features the same design as its predecessor, and also includes the same A7 CPU. Aside from Touch ID and a new gold color option, it's unchanged from the 2013 model, which is still available for $100 less.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Ordered.

IPad Air 2
    Space Grey
    64 GB
    Wifi
    40% more snappiness.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Done.

iPad Air 2.

Space Grey.

128 GB

WIFI

75% more happiness and 92% more awesomeness

• Reply 3 of 99

Completed.

iPad Mini 3

Space Grey

16 GB

WIFI

100% easier with LastPass

• Reply 4 of 99

iPad Air 2

Silver

128 GB

Cellular

Estimated shipping date: 23 - 24 Oct

Every major component (including the screen) upgraded, CPU 40%, GPU 250% increase in processing power and yet all over the web including pro-apple websites saying it's boring and nothing major has changed?  Yes, I am buying the same silver back, white bezel and 9.7" form factor IPAD and these are the only things that didn't change.

People are expecting a new triangle iPad? IPad that projects 3D hologram? 

Price dropped for my configuration.  Upgrading from Ipad Air and thought that the upgrade was worth every penny. A very happy customer I am.

• Reply 5 of 99

My 128Gb Silver iPad Air 2 (wifi & cell) is confirmed for 2-4 day shipping with delivery by Oct 29-31st (west coast).

• Reply 6 of 99
    gtr wrote: »
    Ordered.

IPad Air 2
    Space Grey
    64 GB
    Wifi
    40% more snappiness.

Won't you miss the GPS tagging of photos now that you didn't get the cellular version? Or are you wise enough to not take photos with an iPad to begin with - that would be what I expect.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Done.

Gold 64GB Wifi + Cellular Air 2 w/ AppleCare+
  • Reply 8 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

My 128Gb Silver iPad Air 2 (wifi & cell) is confirmed for 2-4 day shipping with delivery by Oct 29-31st (west coast).

Interesting. My iPad Air 2 is due to be delivered Oct 22-24, east coast here.

Are the shipping times already getting delayed due to demand?

• Reply 9 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ordered.

IPad Air 2

Space Grey

64 GB

Wifi

40% more snappiness.

Same. Ordered at 11:10. Expected delivery 10/22-10/23

• Reply 10 of 99
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Mine is Oct 23-27.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This does puzzle me. IPad Air2 is a massive update but nobody seems willing to acknowledge that fact. I wait for details on A8X as I'm always curious about hardware. This GPU ought to make for one snappy iPad.

wisely wrote: »
    iPad Air 2
    Silver
    128 GB
    Cellular
    Estimated shipping date: 23 - 24 Oct

Every major component (including the screen) upgraded, CPU 40%, GPU 250% increase in processing power and yet all over the web including pro-apple websites saying it's boring and nothing major has changed?  Yes, I am buying the same silver back, white bezel and 9.7" form factor IPAD and these are the only things that didn't change.

People are expecting a new triangle iPad? IPad that projects 3D hologram? 

Price dropped for my configuration.  Upgrading from Ipad Air and thought that the upgrade was worth every penny. A very happy customer I am.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    emoeller wrote: »

I'm in So Cal and my 2-4 shipping means it should arrive Oct. 22-24. Did you get a different delivery date?
  • Reply 13 of 99

Space Gray 64GB Air 2 for me. Delivery is the 24-27. Hopefully sooner.

• Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This does puzzle me. IPad Air2 is a massive update but nobody seems willing to acknowledge that fact. 

I acknowledge it! It's a huge update! Anybody who claims otherwise simply doesn't know what they're talking about and is totally clueless.

The A8X chip seems to be a beast! And the A8 motion sensor seems to be cool too. 40% faster CPU! 2.5x faster graphics! How in the hell is that minor?

What else has been improved or is brand new?

Improved camera (both front & back) plus many camera features from the iPhone like slow mo, burst mode, time lapse and panorama.

Super thin(thinnest tablet in the world!, thinner than an iPhone 6) and super light, less than a damn pound!

Improved display, which is now optically bonded, which means no more gaps, just like on the iPhone. This is the first time that such a display is available for iPad. And it now has the best anti-reflective coating found on any tablet!

Touch ID and ?Pay! 'nuff said!

Faster WIFI!

Anybody who claims that this is not a great update must either be a Fandroid or they must be broke and can't afford one.

• Reply 15 of 99
    Really surprised by the sites saying Apple didn't nail it with the new iPads.

It was a major update, with nearly all aspects seeing major redesigns and improvements.

Killer value for $500
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Really surprised by the sites saying Apple didn't nail it with the new iPads.

It was a major update, with nearly all aspects seeing major redesigns and improvements.

Killer value for $500

Some people are complaining about the iPad Mini 3, which I can understand, since the only new thing on that is gold and touch ID.

However, I've always felt that last year's iPad Mini should never have been equal to the iPad Air in terms of specs. And I didn't like that it was $100 cheaper than the Air, so I'm glad that Apple changed their strategy this year.

Some people may have been disappointed by the iPad Mini 3 this year, but the iPad Air 2 is killer!

• Reply 17 of 99
    apple ][ wrote: »

Either that, or it's personal.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Waiting to order.

IPad Air 2

Space Grey

64 GB

Wifi

Dark grey smart cover

150% more snappiness than my old iPad 2 (I presume).

• Reply 19 of 99
    Anyone who doesnt think this is a huge update is crazy. Of course, there were people who didnt think the jump from 4 to Air was big, and I never understood that madness.

Owning an Air, I'm very tempted to upgrade. Waiting for the Anandtech review, but the Air 2 does address every complaint I have with the Air apart from the storage.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

150% more snappiness than my old iPad 2 (I presume).