Apple's OS X Yosemite now available for free download with Continuity features, iTunes 12, more

Comments

• Reply 81 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

All I get is blurred Yosemite mountIai. On screen and name and password field, nothing I type in is accepted

This link shows you how to reset the admin password in case you have forgotten it. You should be able to do that and then get in. It is a Wiki How article:

• Reply 82 of 147
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

yes, because then it will be bug free for all eternity.

The difference is that the .0 (or .01) releases are tied to events or immediately after and .1 is released when ready.
    magman1979 wrote: »
    If you have never set a password, your username should be your home folder name, and your password is blank.

SET UP A PASSWORD!!!

Actually I think he should try his appleID and password for that.
  • Reply 83 of 147
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

wow did that upgrade ever take a *hristime on my late-2012 iMac.

I actually thought it was hanging the first time around as it was just sitting at one minute left for about an hour.  So I force restarted my computer.  When the same thing happened the second time around, I checked the installer log and it was scanning every single file on my machine doing some sort of permissions repair.  I have a lot of small files for software development and this was a very long process (took almost two hours).

Anyways, it's finally done now and things seem to be working well.  Now to get some sleep finally...

• Reply 84 of 147

Yep, tried that, did not work, ended up rolling back Time Machine reinstalled Mavericks. Can't be bothered with Yosemite.

• Reply 85 of 147
    I love the functionality but not the look and feel. Too kiddy.
  • Reply 86 of 147
    darendino wrote: »
    Yep, tried that, did not work, ended up rolling back Time Machine reinstalled Mavericks. Can't be bothered with Yosemite.

May I humbly ask... and yes I'm honestly curious... why you decided to not use an admin password when setting up your Mac?***

Also, is this a Mac that you purchased new from Apple at or around 2008... or was it purchased used with mavericks already installed?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

*** I'm doing research into consumer security habits and practices, and ways to make it easier for consumers to understand the need for secure computer devices.
  • Reply 87 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How can there be a combo update for a single release?

meant to say "stand alone"

• Reply 88 of 147
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

I just guinea-pigged Yosemite on my MacBook Air. As a long-time Mac user (since 84) ... sorry to say but Yosemite is just fugly. The LOOK and FEEL is not 'elegant' ... it's just ugly and unsophisticated and corporate ... and feels like it has been designed by a Windows user. 

* The RED, ORANGE, GREEN buttons on the top left of every window:  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  Hideous design change.

* The Drop down menus shaded all corporate grey like Windows something or other? UGLY.

* The new font:  ugly

It's all corporate and bland and ugly. I'm staying with 10.9.5 - at least that feels like a Mac.

• Reply 89 of 147
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

I like the look and feel. It's lacking polish however. For instance the System Preferences, on search, doesn't show the spotlight effect. Wouldn't have happened etc...

Boot, for me is scarily slow. It shows a progress bar, goes away for a while ( seems to be stalled) and then comes back with another progress bar, this time it's faster. I am sure there is a transition here, from the firmware to the OS proper but it needs to be quicker. I think in the old boot up they transitioned as well but it just worked. 

• Reply 90 of 147
    taddtadd Posts: 136member

I really think they've gone back in time.  I remember Steve glowingly showing off the 3d toolbar and how the icons were reflected and how translucency was so beautiful.  I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.  The Yosemite desktop looks like something that would have been invented for a science fiction movie in the 70s before ray tracing and such.  This is tragic.  The OS8 color icons were prettier.  

What I'm looking for now is for 3rd party companies to come along and skin this, and later for Apple to go and do skins as if it were their idea (Konfabulator and After Dark and I can't remember the name of that really nice file search program that was out for OS7) 

• Reply 91 of 147
    tadd wrote: »
    I really think they've gone back in time.  I remember Steve glowingly showing off the 3d toolbar and how the icons were reflected and how translucency was so beautiful.  I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.  The Yosemite desktop looks like something that would have been invented for a science fiction movie in the 70s before ray tracing and such.  This is tragic.  The OS8 color icons were prettier.  

What I'm looking for now is for 3rd party companies to come along and skin this, and later for Apple to go and do skins as if it were their idea (Konfabulator and After Dark and I can't remember the name of that really nice file search program that was out for OS7) 

We buried the absurd idea of skins during the transition of Mac OS 9 to OS X.
  • Reply 92 of 147
    We buried the absurd idea of skins during the transition of Mac OS 9 to OS X.

A time I remember fondly. Because of Rhapsody.
  • Reply 93 of 147

I decided to throw caution to the wind after the first two MacBooks in the house upgraded without incident (2009 Macbook, 2009 Macbook Pro).  Since then, I've upgraded by Mac Pro (2008) and my wife's MBAir (2013).  So far so good.  iCloud Drive in the Finder doesn't seem to be working yet despite the fact that I can access my iCloud files just fine through normal apps.

Otherwise, no showstoppers.  The last upgrade was the MacBook Pro (2007) and it took the longest to finish.  This elderly machine does iTunes and fileserver duty.  I upgraded my iTunes library (large, extensive) ahead of the Yosemite upgrade.  I have a copy of it on my Mac Pro and it upgraded without incident.  Again, no obvious issues.  For those who run OS X Server, you have to spend $20 to buy it again to get version 4.0.

A friend has pointed out a Date/Time bug in which you can't get the date to appear in the menu bar if you choose this in the Preference pane.

• Reply 94 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

I just guinea-pigged Yosemite on my MacBook Air. As a long-time Mac user (since 84) ... sorry to say but Yosemite is just fugly. The LOOK and FEEL is not 'elegant' ... it's just ugly and unsophisticated and corporate ... and feels like it has been designed by a Windows user. 

* The RED, ORANGE, GREEN buttons on the top left of every window:  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  Hideous design change.

* The Drop down menus shaded all corporate grey like Windows something or other? UGLY.

* The new font:  ugly

It's all corporate and bland and ugly. I'm staying with 10.9.5 - at least that feels like a Mac.

The buttons have been there since OS X 10.0.  In fact with the new colorization, they look closer to the original Aqua than they have in recent years.

The drop down menu color is reminiscent of the menu colors for System 7, way back in the day.

New font?  It's not everyday we get a new system font.  So far, I'm ok with it.

• Reply 95 of 147
    [@]DarenDino[/@]

Too bad you gave up... I just installed on one of my lonely test MacPro Early 2008's. It took roughly 15 minutes to download and about 20 minutes after that to install.

INSTALL NOTES:
    1) Up-to-date TM backup;
    2) Permissions repair BEFORE download and install;
    3) download started after system restart with NO other programs running;
    4) After installation (auto restart) and assorted log-ins, messages, etc.... repaired permissions again and another system restart.
    5) Let the system "shake and bake" for about a half an hour. Spotlight indexing, syncing, daemons, caches (LIKE BOOT!), etc. need a certain amount of time to be written before you can start actually using the system at a good daily speed.

First Impressions:

Fast... I'd say the same speed as Mountain Lion. I'm liking Spotlight search and will recommend people use it... although personally I still like LaunchBar better. The UI.... hmmm.... loving the dark menus, but the other colors do come across as garish. I got used to it... but I think Apple could tone down the saturation a bit and nobody would hate them for it.

I'll need to spend some more time to find bugs... but I can live with Yosemite, and again... painless update if ya know how to do the little things BEFORE and AFTER installation.

*** This system currently has 112 apps and 3 versions of Adobe CC on it for testing purposes. If anyone is running FontExplorer X Pro, be sure to have the latest version installed. Earlier version of Adobe Illustrator 5.1 (for opening old FreeHand docs) crashed repeatedly until FEX was updated, and InDesign CS6 did the same. Prabably old outdated Font Plugins.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50855/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 96 of 147
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    A friend has pointed out a Date/Time bug in which you can't get the date to appear in the menu bar if you choose this in the Preference pane.

Hmm, I don't have this bug. Mine displays Fri 17 Oct hh:mm:ss just like on 10.9.

Too bad you gave up... I just installed on one of my lonely test MacPro Early 2008's. It took roughly 15 minutes to download and about 20 minutes after that to install.

Bastard! My mid-2010 took 25 minutes to install...on a PCIe SSD
    INSTALL NOTES:

I didn't do any of that. Heck, I even upgraded it, normally I did a clean install (backup, restore backup as test, format, install, reinstall software, restore user data).

I stress-test upon reboot, right after the installation. Nothing lagged. I even did a: open Finder window, Cmd-Shift-A, Cmd-A, Cmd-down arrow. Boom; all apps opening, it was finished before I could burp. "Goes through it like butter"

[image]

1) That iOS one dark 'skin'

2) You ought to rename your startup disk.
  • Reply 97 of 147
    nolamacguy wrote: »

I strongly recommend that everyone hold off upgrading to this for a few days, in light of the iOS 8.0.1 fiasco.

completely non-sensical. entirely different products, and statistically, one failed release doesn't negate dozens of passed releases.

You couldn't be more wrong.

It takes years to build up a company's reputation and seconds to destroy it.
  • Reply 98 of 147
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

Apple has always been about the realisation that USER INTERFACE is not just stuff being pretty --- it is a fundamental component of the usability of an OS. And I have to say, on UI issues, Yosemite is not an upgrade, but a downgrade ... It is the least 'Mac-feeling' OS that Apple has ever released. It makes my Mac feel like some ugly Windows XP variant. Now I have to get rid of the ugly Yosemite duckling from my notebook and upgrade back to Mavericks. 

Total waste of time.

• Reply 99 of 147
    Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Total waste of time.

Your post was, at least.

• Reply 100 of 147
    philboogie wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't have this bug. Mine displays Fri 17 Oct hh:mm:ss just like on 10.9..

Here too... no problem.
    Bastard! My mid-2010 took 25 minutes to install...on a PCIe SSD

I'm not sure if this could be the reason it took longer, but in my case I have no data whatsoever on my start-up disks. I've been doing that for years and works for me.
    I didn't do any of that. Heck, I even upgraded it, normally I did a clean install (backup, restore backup as test, format, install, reinstall software, restore user data).

Funny you mention that, because I was considering doing it " the down and dirty" way... even considering to try over wifi instead of Ethernet. i couldn't bring myself to do it because I don't have the time to troubleshoot or do it again if the first try borks.
    I stress-test upon reboot, right after the installation. Nothing lagged. I even did a: open Finder window, Cmd-Shift-A, Cmd-A, Cmd-down arrow. Boom; all apps opening, it was finished before I could burp. "Goes through it like butter"

Here too... and on an old-style "spinning disk"... even if it is an enterprise-class 1tb Seagate Constellation 7200rpm.
    1) That iOS one dark 'skin'

???
    2) You ought to rename your startup disk

Thought someone would catch it :) With 3 systems across partitions... yeah... I guess I'll have to go with, "Macintosh-YoWhadUpMan" or just "YO"... :smokey: