Apple removes all Bose products from its online store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Following the news that a lawsuit between Apple's Beats and Bose had been settled, all Bose products -- including both headphones and speakers --?have been removed from Apple's online store.

Photo via Paul Stamatiou.

A rumor first surfaced a week ago claiming that Apple was planning to remove Bose sound products from its stores. On Friday, that became a reality, when all of the company's headphones and speakers disappeared from the online storefront.

Though the products are no longer available for purchase, as of Friday afternoon queries such as "Bose Headphones" and "Bose Speaker System" still showed up in the search bar as suggested topics.

As of Friday, Bose products still showed up as suggested searches, but were not available to purchase through Apple.

As of last week, Apple's online store listed a total of 17 Bose products, including a range of SoundLink Bluetooth speakers, and its popular QuietComfort series of noise-canceling headphones.

It was Bose's noise-canceling technology that prompted the company to file a lawsuit against Beats in July, accusing its Studio and Studio Wireless series of infringing on its patents. But one week ago, Bose announced in court that it had settled its patent infringement lawsuit against Apple's Beats.

It's unknown whether the removal of Bose products from Apple's store was part of the terms of the settlement or if another reason was at play. The settlement between Beats and Bose remains confidential.

Bose products in Apple's store last week. As of Friday they were removed.

It could also be that Apple simply prefers to spotlight its own brand rather than competing products from Bose. The company purchased Beats for $3 billion -- Apple's largest-ever acquisition -- back in May.

Also a potential reason is a public spat between Apple's Beats brand and Bose over sponsorship deals. The National Football League has banned its players from wearing Beats products when conducting interviews, including 90 minutes following the end of a game, because of an exclusive partnership that has made Bose the official audio sponsor of the league.

The issue came to a head last week when it was revealed that the NFL had fined San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick $10,000 for wearing a pair of pink breast cancer awareness-themed Beats headphones at a post-game press conference.

Apple executive Jimmy Iovine, who cofounded Beats, commented on the controversy last week and said he was thankful for it, concluding that pressure from Bose has resulted in cheap publicity for Beats. He said that players are now putting black tape over the Beats logo to avoid fines from the NFL.

"It's like, I can't believe I'm this lucky," Iovine said. "I feel like sending them the tape."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

That settles that!

No wonder the store was down so long this a.m. ;-)

• Reply 2 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Ouch! Bad news for Bose.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Why'd they do that??!?!!?

Beats me...                          :no: groan

• Reply 4 of 87

Bose doesn't need Apple. Headphones are not the dominant nor only revenue source for Bose.

The relationship between Apple & Bose is not symbiont.

Beats is the one standing to gain - from the relationship with Apple.

I love Apple  - TD4 but I won't loose any sleep if Apple dropped Bose.

• Reply 5 of 87
    That sucks. I've always liked Bose products AND Apple...now they're competitors :-(
  • Reply 6 of 87
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

• Reply 7 of 87
    The elderly will be so disappointed.
  • Reply 8 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PTE APPLE View Post

Bose doesn't need Apple. Headphones are not the dominant nor only revenue source for Bose.

The relationship between Apple & Bose is not symbiont.

Beats is the one standing to gain - from the relationship with Apple.

I love Apple  - TD4 but I won't loose any sleep if Apple dropped Bose.

Apple is a huge sales channel of millions of customers worldwide, to say that Bose doesn't need Apple is an arrogant statement.

The loss of millions of dollars in sales just around the holiday shopping season is nothing to sneeze at.

• Reply 9 of 87
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member

The latest Safari update added 'DuckDuckGo' (which doesn't track you) to the list of default search engines.   No more Google!

• Reply 10 of 87
    Originally Posted by baconstang View Post

The latest Safari update added 'DuckDuckGo' (which doesn't track you) to the list of default search engines.   No more Google!

Bing has even been great for a while now. I haven’t used Google in years. Trying DDG on my clean installs; seems pretty simple right now.

• Reply 11 of 87
    baconstang wrote: »

I have it set as the default now on my iPad and iPhone. Nice to have it there.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Apple is a huge sales channel of millions of customers worldwide, to say that Bose doesn't need Apple is an arrogant statement.

The loss of millions of dollars in sales just around the holiday shopping season is nothing to sneeze at.

A definite +1 for this, InteliusQ!! I was "certain" that Bose settled to Keep their product in Apple stores.

I'd like to know what sort of deal was made, if any. Did Apple pay to break a contract with Bose or is there no strings keeping the two together? I could see an arrangement where Apple would pay for "damages" to their IP and then notify them that their product is out of Apple Stores. If Apple did pay, they are a hellava more upfront than Samedung (dragging out IP fights for years while they make profit).

• Reply 13 of 87
    Bose? I've used Sennheiser for years, both in studios and noise canceling headphones for travel. Bose does offer good quality but IMHU to be way over priced. Folks who want Bose will still have plenty of sources like Best Buy, Amazon, etc.. Apple and Bose will do just fine going their separate ways.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

I never cease to be amazed at the foolishness of many consumers.  It is trivially easy to find other vendors selling the same products that the Apple online store sells for less.  You could be right that Bose loses "millions of dollars in sales" as a result of this, but that's a measure of the idiocy of the buying public.

• Reply 15 of 87
    Oh no! All the amazing sales of Bose products through apple stores will take a hit! Bose is doomed going against the amazing quality of Beats headphones with their second to none noise canceling technology. /s
  • Reply 16 of 87
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    This is probably going to sting Bose right before the holiday season, I say swell! For the crap they've been pulling with the NHL, I say they get whatever is coming to them. Compared to the likes of Bowers and Wilkins, they SUCK!
  • Reply 17 of 87
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Cue everyone assuming this was Apple's choice, not Bose's demand.

Even though we don't actually know that answer. It could be either party that is responsible.
  • Reply 18 of 87
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

It begins:

eatsansose-ghazi-gate

• Reply 19 of 87
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Well, DOJ is going to file another anti-trust case against Apple. Seriously I don't see much value for Apple from the Beats deal. Apple doesn't need Beats to make iPhone and Apple WATCH a must have item.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    This is a real shame and more profound than perhaps we realise. Audio quality of Bose products far exceeds anything Beats have produced. Indeed, I think it is fair to say that Bose is to quality what Beats is to marketing. Marketing has won. Tragically Apple has chosen marketing over quality. This is a fundamental shift in the values of a company and in the long term this will prove detrimental for Apple. Would Jobs have chosen Bose over Beats? As a UK customer totally within the apple ecosystem who values quality above all else, I feel I have lost faith in what Apple represents.